Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2020 1000sx last year with the bags installed and I love the bike. Being 6'2" and nearly as wide, I absolutely love having a sportbike I can log serious miles on comfortably and without a bookbag. It's my first bike so there isn't much insight I can offer aside from a thumbs up. But at the risk of sounding stupid, I was not aware the KQS could be enabled and disabled. I powershifted my brand new bike a handful of times unsure if there was something I was missing or if KQS just sucked until I found "KQS on/off" in settings. Try not to think about any damage I mightve done so I thought I'd put this out so somebody might learn from my mistake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Read the manual. As a new rider with no experience it will explain what to do and not to do to your new bike such as break in, suspension adjustments traction/power modes etc....don't try to figure it out on the fly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read the manual. As a new rider with no experience it will explain what to do and not to do to your new bike such as break in, suspension adjustments traction/power modes etc....don't try to figure it out on the fly.
I read the manual cover to cover for that reason and then went thru it once more when I was having issues and if it says anywhere that KQS is off by default I didn't find it. Figured it out going thru the settings line by line on the bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I read the manual cover to cover for that reason and then went thru it once more when I was having issues and if it says anywhere that KQS is off by default I didn't find it. Figured it out going thru the settings line by line on the bike.
I read the manual cover to cover also. AFAIK it never stated it's off by default. Didn't bother me as I didn't intend to use it anyway. I still only use it maybe half the time. I find it horribly inconsistent. I will say it's REALLY useful when you have a passenger.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
137 Posts
The dealer should have turned it on or shown you how when you took delivery. I think the KQS is one of the best quickshifters I've ever experienced--you have to keep the rpm's up when upshifting (even better if accelerating) and keep the throttle completely closed when downshifting.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The quick shifter does eliminate the clutch. It allows up shifter under power at higher rpm's without using the clutch and without manipulating the throttle, and downshifting at higher rpm's (with throttle closed) without the clutch and eliminating the need to blip the throttle. I think the Kawasaki QS does a good job on this bike and I'm surprised it works well under reduced rpm settings. However it's not designed to work like an automatic at low rpm's and reduced loads.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
94 Posts
For Oz people, the relevant parts of our Owner's Manual are:
Pages 40 - Mode Indicator no. 3 and 41 - no. 5;
page 54 - if you can see it then it is turned on;
page 71 - where to turn it on/off in the settings menu; and
page 140 - explains the functionality of the KQS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want 2020 Ninja 1000sx so bad, to upgrade from my 2017, so many nice features it has, which should have been standard on the last gens. 2020+ just cost a lot a the moment, I guess there's shortage of motorcycle as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts