Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed these grips yesterday which I purchased through Zarkie in Oz. The instructions are predominantly in Japanese but the process is very straightforward.
Remove the handgrips, soapy water and compressed air.
File the ridges and the flange off the throttle tube.
remove the instrument surround, left guard and seats and loosen tank
there is a battery wire that you can feed from the battery under the tank along the edge of the airbox to the headstem.
the clutch side grip is a few snug fit that goes on with a very slight tap. once filed the throttle grip goes on with a strong push and does seem to slip at all, they supply super glue and suggest you glue. i havent and dont feel that i need to.
The wiring harness from the grips can be coiled and slotted into the basket that is part of the frame under the instrument cluster.

Review; Delivered next working day by Zarkie for $200AUD these are more cost effective than the Kawasaki which are over $400 and a little dearer than Oxford at about $150.
however the Komine heated grip has a much more OEM integrated look than than the Oxfords akin to the latest generation Z1000sx which are about $600.

They have five heat settings which are indicated by the color change in the LED (see link to video above). A 3 sec push will turn off so you dont have to cycle through all the settings.
The wiring harness has an integrated Voltage sensitive relay (VSR) which is supposed to cut out at 11.8V so they will not flatten your battery if you accidently leave on. This also makes wiring easy as you dont have to tap into accessory wire or wire in a separate relay.

the in-line fuse in the harness comes with 15amp fuse but the also supply a 10, 7.5 and 5 amp????

they havent yet been tested on a long ride but seemed to heat up very quickly.

·
Premium Member
11,906 Posts
Can I ask for something rather goofy? Would you mind measuring the grip diameter? I'm hoping for something under about 35mm...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thats interesting, they are very close in design to the Koso Apolo that I installed two years ago,,. I really like them,,!!
b156f3d907fc5add52d1ec73e833d72a.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it says on the box the OD is 32.5mmm and ID is 22.5mm. I doubt you'll get smaller in heated grips

·
Premium Member
11,906 Posts
The oem Kawasaki grips are pretty small, but dont get nearly as hot as the oxfords. The oxfords will get too hot. You cant run them on fuel power. That sounds awesome, and powerful, and I suppose it is, but that's also 100% useless when it's too hot to be useable.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The oem Kawasaki grips are pretty small, but dont get nearly as hot as the oxfords. The oxfords will get too hot. You cant run them on fuel power. That sounds awesome, and powerful, and I suppose it is, but that's also 100% useless when it's too hot to be useable.
The point of full power isn't to cook your hands, it's to heat them up quicker. Then you select the heat you need.

Also, I'm not sure why folks are focused on heated grips. I much prefer to get the grips I like and use the under grip heating elements. Way cheaper and you get the grips you like. I've gravitated to DualStar heaters. I don't know about others but Oxford grips are rock hard and come with way too much bulky wiring. The under grip heating elements add about .2-.3mm under whatever grip you choose.

·
Premium Member
11,906 Posts
That might be my next plan. Oxford stuff is 2/3 finished. Almost there, but it's like they missed the last step. Their wiring is awful, and the plugs themselves are worthless.

I'm not sure the whole concept is worth messing with. You can have 150 degree grips and the back of your hand freezes if it gets cold enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts