Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first drop today.Went to bypass lengthy lane of vehicles held up by going offtrack and hit a slimy patch of mud;thankfully at low speed ,but one indicator light approx. $110,scratched fairings and marked housings.The last new bike had adventure/crash bars fitted,this time dallied because deciding whether bars were better than knobs. A little frightened of knobs in case they damage engine housings ,unless they can be fitted without compromising their mounting.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I have the t rex knobs. I seriously doubt they would do anything. In your tip over, I think all they would do is add a scratched knob to the replace list.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I had the Kawasaki OEM "engine protectors" on my '12. When I dropped the bike it was still around $4,000 damage to the fairings, mirrors, exhaust, etc., not including the sliders. Low speed drop too. A waste of money and they add weight.

Still.... drinking the kool-aid again.... I have a pair of Shogun frame sliders sitting on my work bench. I am thinking they stick out a little farther than those OEM frame sliders. Still debating whether to bother.

PS... glad you are OK Donfre!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,I might try the bars,I think they may reduce the damage at very slow drops.Most speed drops are expensive once fairings etc. are damaged.The problem with claims is the increase in future premiums and excess amounts.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I had the Kawasaki OEM "engine protectors" on my '12. When I dropped the bike it was still around $4,000 damage to the fairings, mirrors, exhaust, etc., not including the sliders. Low speed drop too. A waste of money and they add weight.

Still.... drinking the kool-aid again.... I have a pair of Shogun frame sliders sitting on my work bench. I am thinking they stick out a little farther than those OEM frame sliders. Still debating whether to bother.

PS... glad you are OK Donfre!

.I looked at shogun as possible replacements for my t rex. No, I did not buy them.

I was worried that long might mean more leverage to really twist something up?????? What do you think?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks Guys,I might try the bars,I think they may reduce the damage at very slow drops.Most speed drops are expensive once fairings etc. are damaged.The problem with claims is the increase in future premiums and excess amounts.
I haven't seen bars for the n1k.what are you looking at?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw some on a website of photos of engine bars for Ninja 1000,still trying to track manufacturers from that.Apparently they are made to fit 2014 models,not sure if they would be compatible.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
.I looked at shogun as possible replacements for my t rex. No, I did not buy them.

I was worried that long might mean more leverage to really twist something up?????? What do you think?
You have a good point... I hadn't thought of that. I talked to a really knowledgeable mechanic/rider recently who said frame sliders are more to protect the frame and engine than plastics, so makes sense shorter sliders would do that without breaking away or twisting things up as much.

The T-rex sliders look really stout and the OEM sliders were strong as well... I may send these Shoguns back.

I've seen good reviews of the Shoguns from riders who dropped their bikes with them though... probably depends a lot on speed, angle and terrain.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Crash bars are made by iron horse if my memory serves me right, available on eBay. They come out of Russia. I'd install them but it would be impossible to use my bursig stand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Crash bars are made by iron horse if my memory serves me right, available on eBay. They come out of Russia. I'd install them but it would be impossible to use my bursig stand.
Actually just found these on eBay. They are from Crazy Iron and yes, from Russia. Might have to try these out. After sliding my Sprint down the road a couple of weeks ago (knew I should have put sliders on it) I'm thinking these might be worth it . With three mounting points they might be less prone to damage the engine casing.. hope i never found out.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
This is one of those subjects that is always highly debatable, much like "best oil" threads. It's very hard to tell what works and what doesn't, as every crash is different. Sometimes they work wonders, other times the do more harm than good. Other times they just snap off! The only things that seem to consistently work is stunt cages. But what commuter wants all that bar on their bike.

My used Ninja already had them on there, so I'll just leave them. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. I doubt sliders will do much of anything anyways, should I go down on the mountain roads that I live on and frequent. Or, at least, cracked fairings will be the least of my concerns, lol. To me, they're best used should a low speed or stopped tip-over occur.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts