Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Any one knows how to clear the KIBS error? My bike is an 2018 and starts to lit KIBS and the alert goes on after 16 miles per hour.
Tks

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
What else is going on? Any mods to your bike?

I believe the most common reason we have seen for this is a 190/55 rear tire being used instead of the original size 190/50.

I believe there is a way you can find the specific code that is causing this issue. Download one of the online service manuals and it will tell you how to do this. That will make this much easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What else is going on? Any mods to your bike?

I believe the most common reason we have seen for this is a 190/55 rear tire being used instead of the original size 190/50.

I believe there is a way you can find the specific code that is causing this issue. Download one of the online service manuals and it will tell you how to do this. That will make this much easier.
Hey friend, just light is on. Nothing changes, any mods. I didn't find how to see the code without the computer. Do you know how to do that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe the ABS sensor(s) need checking...
Checked. For the ABS there is a way to check error. There is a gray line close to the ECU. You have to connect it to the negative pole of the battery using other extension line, and turn the key on. The ABS light will flash for about 12 seconds and after will flash the code of the errors or will flash 12 if there's no error. I've tried almost every thing.
My problem is that any authorized service is 250 miles away from my home town.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok. I meant to say that maybe the ABS sensors need to be checked to see if they are secure at their positions and not loose. If you have changed tyres it may be possible that the sensors are misaligned. If that is not the case, maybe a reset of the ECU might work... Disconnect the battery from the bike, give it 30seconds or so and reconnect the battery. If that does nothing to change the issue you are facing, it might need professional help.... unless you have a wiring issue somewhere in the harness that's causing that error to show up...
Either that or someone more well-versed should pitch in on the thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I meant to say that maybe the ABS sensors need to be checked to see if they are secure at their positions and not loose. If you have changed tyres it may be possible that the sensors are misaligned. If that is not the case, maybe a reset of the ECU might work... Disconnect the battery from the bike, give it 30seconds or so and reconnect the battery. If that does nothing to change the issue you are facing, it might need professional help.... unless you have a wiring issue somewhere in the harness that's causing that error to show up...
Either that or someone more well-versed should pitch in on the thread.
I have turned the engine on with the wheels on the stand. Pretty sure it caused the issue.
I will try it. Tks. I will post the results until I get the problem fixed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have turned the engine on with the wheels on the stand. Pretty sure it caused the issue.
I will try it. Tks. I will post the results until I get the problem fixed.
I do that all the time... I put the bike on a stand to lift the rear wheel and then run the bike in gear (1st or second) for a minute or two to warm up the chain before I get to cleaning it. My bike is a 2017 and mechanically/electrically the same as the 2018 as far as I can tell (except for color changes). The ABS light stays on when on the stand. When I ride off, the ABS light goes away and stays away until ABS is activated.
If the light is coming on after 16 mph, I'd suspect some sort of wire connection issue. Has the ABS sensor wire been damaged or kinked to cause an internal connection break?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The light comes on as sort of a "catch all" to warn you that something is wrong. How many miles on your bike?

Heres a link to the manual. It will tell you how to go in and see the specific cause of this light.

Wow, tks for the manual. My bike has just 3200 miles. Pretty new. I bought the odb2 bluetooth and I will try to find the error code with that. It should be delivered in the next week. I'm trying everything out!

·
Registered
734 Posts
That service manual details an easy way to display service code(s) right on the dash. Download it and do a search for "Self-Diagnostic Procedures". The manual also lists all the Service Codes with details on what each one means.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That service manual details an easy way to display service code(s) right on the dash. Download it and do a search for "Self-Diagnostic Procedures". The manual also lists all the Service Codes with details on what each one means.
I'm missing something. Anyway I tried enters to the clock adjust. I've tried with the engine on, off, all goes to clock.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm missing something. Anyway I tried enters to the clock adjust. I've tried with the engine on, off, all goes to clock.
Don't sound like you are doing it right...

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

View attachment 31067

View attachment 31067
I did that, entered in the clock adjust mode. Maybe I have to run the bike until the kibs starts flash and then try the diagnostic. It happens when the bikes goes more than 16 miles per hour.
In any cases, I will wait my ODB2 arrives and after that I publish here the results.
For now I thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Could be that there is no service code when you first turn the ignition switch to ON. That would be the case if one of the ABS sensor is faulty. The ABS controller will not register a fault with the bike standing static, since there are no steady pulses coming from the sensors. Once you start rolling, one wheel senses the pulse train, and the other one does not. That's when the ABS controller knows there is something wrong. Most likely, you do have to roll the bike past 16 mph to trigger the fault, then get into the self-diagnostic mode. It should be either Service Code 24 (rear wheel rotation sensor) or 27 (front wheel rotation sensor).

According to the manual, if it is a rear wheel sensor fault, ECU will set the internal gear position value to 6th. If this is true, you should be able to tell which sensor is acting up. If the gear position indicator goes to 6th when the ABS light comes ON, then you know it's the rear wheel sensor. If the gear position indicator continues to display the correct gear, then it's likely the front sensor.

The wheel rotation sensor diagnostic starts on page 158 in the service manual. You'll need an ohmmeter.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Volfy, you made your code reader work, didnt you? I remember you talking about it, but I cant find the thread.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This one? 🙂 Is this the diagnostic port?

It's really just the adapter cable. I basically just leave it plugged in under the seat, as I don't have another Kawi that works on.

The comms device can be any of the generic OBD2 adapters or readers. I've got quite a few. Some Bluetooth, some direct USB cable to a laptop, etc. They all work.

Then there is the software you use. Smartphone freebies or cheapies like TorquePro are pretty convenient. There are Kawi specific utilities but pricey. So far I haven't found a need beyond just reading and resetting codes. Even then, it's not absolutely necessary. Too bad Kawi isn't as open as other mfrs like Triumph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This one? 🙂 Is this the diagnostic port?

It's really just the adapter cable. I basically just leave it plugged in under the seat, as I don't have another Kawi that works on.

The comms device can be any of the generic OBD2 adapters or readers. I've got quite a few. Some Bluetooth, some direct USB cable to a laptop, etc. They all work.

Then there is the software you use. Smartphone freebies or cheapies like TorquePro are pretty convenient. There are Kawi specific utilities but pricey. So far I haven't found a need beyond just reading and resetting codes. Even then, it's not absolutely necessary. Too bad Kawi isn't as open as other mfrs like Triumph.
Yes my friend, that one. Nice to hear that it can work fine. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, my ODB2 arrived, but no issue was found. I really don't know what to do. The alert still goes on and the kibs flash above 16 miles per hour. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts