Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 N1K
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this has now happened twice, the passenger seat release lock has grabbed the key and not released it. The first time I was able to remove the passenger seat. This time, I could not

the first time, it was after a bike wash, and it finally released after a few hours. I sprayed Breakfree CLP into the lock cylinder and the key seemed to release the seat reliably afterwards for about 2 weeks while sitting in my garage.

This time, it was after riding in the rain, it did not release the seat. I could only get the key back to 12 o’clock. It would not return to 11 o’clock and release the key. Also, at 1 o’clock, it did not release the seat. After waiting overnight and trying everything today (wiggling key, pulling on seat, shooting oil into lock, hitting the passenger seat), I could hear the release mechanism more prominently and then the key was able to turn to the 11 o’clock position and come out.

So of course, I immediately stuck the key back in and was able to remove the seat. I then turned the key over and over to the 1 o’clock position and could view the release ‘blade’ working, it appears that I cannot reliably retract the ‘blade’ that retains the passenger seat 100% (flush) with the receptacle the seat retaining tab projects into.

it also doesn’t switch from 12 o’clock to 11 o’clock. It feels ‘gritty’ for lack of a better word.

I feel like there is some slack in the cable that releases the seat locking blade that I need to take out. I don’t even know if this is how it functions, but that’s all I can think of. I can’t see it because it’s under the aluminum seat pan.

Anyone else have this happen to them? How did you fix it?

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
I believe I would take it apart and clean it. It's not especially difficult. It's about like installing a fender eliminator kit. You separate the plastic from the metal area by removing the rear seat grab rails and the 4 bolts that hold the tail light assembly in place.

·
Registered
2014 N1K
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I would take it apart and clean it. It's not especially difficult. It's about like installing a fender eliminator kit. You separate the plastic from the metal area by removing the rear seat grab rails and the 4 bolts that hold the tail light assembly in place.
Thanks. I need a little project to do after it snowed AGAIN and they salted the hell out of the roads.....

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Salt is awful on bikes. I think once I'd freed up the lock and little cable I'd grease the heck out of the cable, lube the lock and maybe even put a piece of black duct tape over the lock until you need to use it again. That would suck big time if it happened on the road someplace.

Reactions: Oliver

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like this guy said salt and water are both hard on bikes. I’d definitely oil that thing a few times and then use the seat latch, or push on the seat itself and wiggle it out. I’m 99 percent sure it’s got the same latch and cable as the Z, really basic set up, and worth oiling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts