Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while, and I've found a lot of interesting information, but I've never posted anything. I bought a 2015 Ninja 1000 back on August, and promptly dropped it on its left side several weeks later. I had to buy a new set of saddle bags because apparently (according to my dealer) Kawasaki won't sell them individually. The right one is in perfect condition both functionally and cosmetically. The left one is fully functional, but it has deep scratches / scuffs on the exterior.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a heads-up that they are listed on EBay with a starting price of $250 and buy now of $600. My thought on the starting bid is that it's a pretty good price for just the right side bag if that's what you're after, and you're just getting the left one for free.

Here's the ebay link, which includes photos and description:
Kawasaki Quick Release Saddle Bags for 2014 Ninja 1000 Black Gray | eBay

Thanks!
Joel

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can you remove the lock cylinders before shipping, since you're not providing a key?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how to remove the lock cylinders, but if it's not too hard I definitely have no problem removing them. Do you know how?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have no clue. I tried Googling, with no results, except to drill 'em.
Do you have the rubber bits that go on the passenger footpegs?
EDIT2: Actually, it looks like those come with the tandem grip set.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks repairable, don't the painted parts come off to be replaced?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The painted parts can come off and be replaced, but the scratches are on the non painted parts and the scratches are pretty deep. My insurance company paid to replace them so I just went with it.

I did some searching online about getting the key cylinders out too, but didn't see anything specific to these bags. A locksmith can probably get them out. That's why I put that note in the EBay listing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just figured out how to get the lock cylinders out. It's actually pretty easy if you have the key. If you don't have the key you'd have to pick the lock to get the bag open.

Here are the steps from memory:

1. Remove the 3 small screws that are on the outside of the bag (on the side that faces the bike when installed)
2. Open the bag and remove the 2 phillips head screws on either side of the handle.
3. Remove the 4 T30 security head screws inside the bag on the under-side of the top.
4. Pull the top piece of the bag off. At this point it is only held in place by double sided tape under the 3 small screws that were removed in step 1.
5. Turn the top piece over and study how the mechanism works. There is a metal post that fits into a slot on a piece of plastic. When you turn the key, the post rotates and causes the plastic piece to move back and forth, locking and unlocking the bag.
6. There is a slider that slides up and down to secure the bag to the bike. I had the bag open with the key in the unlocked position. When I pulled that slider up (the position it would be in to take the bag off of the bike), the piece of plastic I'm referring to in step 5 fell off. Since I studied the mechanism earlier, I could easily put that piece back where it went. It's pretty obvious. Go ahead and take that plastic piece out of the way.
7. Remove the 3 small screws that hold the rotating metal post in place.
8. At this point you can see the spring loaded tab that holds the key cylinder in the hole. Use a paper clip to push that tab down and the key cylinder slides right out.

So... Yes, I will remove the key cylinders before shipping the bags. I will update the EBay listing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Still interested.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Got the notification. I'm eagerly awaiting them.

I'll have to snag the key lock and the tandem grips for mounting, if I'm not mistaken to mount.

I'll fix the damage without much effort. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the notification. I'm eagerly awaiting them.

I'll have to snag the key lock and the tandem grips for mounting, if I'm not mistaken to mount.

I'll fix the damage without much effort. :)
Yeah, that should be all you need. I'm glad you'll be able to fix and use them!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Received today. Awesome shipping, bags are as described. Damage isn't as bad as I expected. Will probably start repairs on them in the next couple days. Very excited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Received today. Awesome shipping, bags are as described. Damage isn't as bad as I expected. Will probably start repairs on them in the next couple days. Very excited.
I'm glad they made it to you OK! I'm curious - how do you plan on fixing the scratches? Can you just sand them down or something? I know nothing about that type of work...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'll post a picture tonight after I take care of a couple things. I've got them ready for primer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
So here's a picture of the damaged bag.

I hit the whole case (of the outside) with 180, then 320 over that. Filled the scratches with some plastic repair material, and feathered that back out.

Hit the painted parts the same way - 180, plastic repair, and now they have been 320'd.

I'll put some water primer tomorrow, sand that back, then trim/flat black the area that was (wont be anymore) textured. The painted parts will become the candy green to match the bike - if I can get the paint code. I'll be doing the other bag just to make them match.

All in all, I'll have about 4 hours into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Going to do the majority of the bags black, with the caps/strips in the Kawasaki green. I got the paint code for the OEM Kawi green on Thursday.

The bags are primed already. Just need to figure out when to paint them. :p

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quick update.

Finally got the boxes painted. Will be putting the colored caps on Monday night - those were painted too. :)

I'll be able to finally start using them. Finally installed the new tandem grips this last weekend.

And yes, the car sleeps outside while the N1K sleeps where you see it in the first photo. :p

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts