Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a quick write up about my experience installating the OEM heated grips on a 2019 N1K.

In case you want to go this route, there are eBay vendors and your dealer. They are made to plug and play into the main harness. If you need to see the actual instructions, go the Kawasaki web page, locate accessories for our bike, find the grips and there you can get the instructions ahead of time if you want to get a step by step.
The instructions tell you to remove the windshield, meter cover, right and left mid fairing and the left lower fairing . I don't think that you absolutely need to remove the windscreen, meter cover and right mid fairing. However, it helps you to see the brackets you run wires through. The left lower fairing removal is essential.

Once you get the above removed, you can get to removing the bar weights and grips. If you want to avoid stripping the weight bars get a JIS Phillips#3 or standard Phillips#3 I ended up cutting the grips. This was really easy and unless you are in the fence of keeping the heated grips or not, just cut them off, because the heated grips replace them.

The trickiest part for me was putting the first grip on. I came to realize that I had too much glue and got stuck half way in. I ended up spraying brake cleaner in between the grip and bar and then I wrapped the grip with a towel and used a wrench to twist it and remove it. In the process, I scuffed up the surface of the grip a bit. Take my advice, use soap with a bit of water and one drop of glue and install them that way. I did that and a day later they are solid.

The connectors they give you are bullet type and I found out after assembling the bike, I found out one of the connectors was disconnected. It was the one that connects to the main harness, under the left lower fairing. I think that I bumped it loose when I reinstalled the left lower fairing the first time. So this time, I made triple checked to make sure they are connected and harness wrapped to a big wire. Here's a picture

If you're good with wiring, I recommend soldering and heat shrinking the wires together. I've read that some dealers install that way instead of using the connectors. I don't solder well enough to do it, so I triple checked the connectors and securely wrapped them.

The other suggestion is to use the cloth type harness wrap. It's more secure and cleaner looking.

Here are a few of install pictures

Edit. One other thing that I noticed. I read somewhere that the Kawasaki Heated Grips are made by Honda. Yes, I can confirm that the controller has "Honda" inscribed on the back. The world we live in...

·
Registered
334 Posts
And the funny thing is that I'd bet money they are not made by Honda, they are made by a third party supplier :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great write-up and photos. Compressed air (canned or shop compressor) can help with removing existing grips if you wish to preserve them for some reason. The last time I installed new grips, I used isopropyl alcohol as a lubricant and no glue. Worked like a charm. But that might not work in all cases.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great write-up and photos. Compressed air (canned or shop compressor) can help with removing existing grips if you wish to preserve them for some reason. The last time I installed new grips, I used isopropyl alcohol as a lubricant and no glue. Worked like a charm. But that might not work in all cases.
Thank you. The instructions did call for compressed air, which I don't have. Probably the better way to remove them though.
Thanks for the tip on the alcohol!

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to use the heated grips. It was in the 40s in the Ojai mountains. It was really a nice feature to have at my fingertips. I ALMOST felt bad for the guy I was riding with who didn't have them.

I decided to get heated gloves from Gerbing. I got them weeks ago, but didn't bring them and would have been overkill. However, I think the gloves would have been sufficient without the heat since they are really comfortable.

·
Registered
303 Posts
However, I think the gloves would have been sufficient without the heat since they are really comfortable.
Same thing here, at 5*c the OEM grip heaters felt good on the underside of my hands, but the topside was freezing with my summer leather Dainese carbon gloves. In similar temps with my Hotwired heated gloves, the gloves without the heat turned on will do at speed, although I often turn them on low just because I can! Above 10*c I turn the heat off the gloves, leave the grips on medium or low. Below 4*c I turn on everything and set the level to comfort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts