Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ninja 1000SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - great forum that you have going here!

I am the proud new owner of a 2022 N1K and other than a few minor complaints, I am quite pleased with my choice to buy this bike. I can see that the seat will likely need an upgrade for long trips, as it is not very comfortable for my bony butt. Has anyone purchased the Kawi extended reach seat with gel inserts (#99994-1410) and can you comment on how much improvement and whether it was worth the $$$? I would also be interested in hearing about success with other seats as well. I am about 6' tall and don't have a lot of my own padding back there.
Tire Wheel Jeans Land vehicle Sky

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had a set for a short while. The wife loves the rear seat, so I kept it on for her. I didn't see much advantage over the stock seat, so I sold the front. I didn't pay for the set, but if I had paid for them I would have been disappointed. I using the stock OEM seat so have no experience with after market for it. I have had Corbin seats on other bikes and they all seemed a bit stiff for me. I'm sure others will have some recommendations.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had a set for a short while. The wife loves the rear seat, so I kept it on for her. I didn't see much advantage over the stock seat, so I sold the front. I didn't pay for the set, but if I had paid for them I would have been disappointed. I using the stock OEM seat so have no experience with after market for it. I have had Corbin seats on other bikes and they all seemed a bit stiff for me. I'm sure others will have some recommendations.
I am in exact same position as you - I kept the Gel seat only for looks and if I had not found a good on second hand at a good price I would have been really sad too :)

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
2022 Ninja 1000SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, sounds like it's not likely to be worth the many hundreds of $$$. Been reading some similar discussions on here and it seems that there is no one-size-fits-all answer for any seat. Someone mentioned padded mountain biking shorts and that seems like a it could be a good place to start.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Russell isn't everyone's cup of tea looks-wise, but nothing is more comfortable.

ahm

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
217 Posts
If you have a custom upholstery guy near you, or even better a custom seat guy, I'd go that route. Love my custom. Aftermarket seats are generally taller than stock because they pile the padding high to combat the general discomfort of stock seats. My custom guy used a couple sheets of thin, high density foam and I came out with a comfy seat 1" lower than stock. Still love it 3 years later.

·
Registered
2022 Ninja 1000SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahm - Swapping into the Russell for your long (once a year) tours and back to the stock for your more local normal rides could be an approach for some people. Or just being unconcerned with looks and keep riding the Russell.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
151 Posts
The only thing I can say I purchased the Kawi reduced reach seat model and while it was awesome to flat foot the bike the seat after an hour or so became painful on the two points on the buttock. Took the plunge and got a Sargent seat without that slippery carbon and so far no issues. But the new seat is no silver cloud but seems to work atm.

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
407 Posts
The only thing I can say I purchased the Kawi reduced reach seat model and while it was awesome to flat foot the bike the seat after an hour or so became painful on the two points on the buttock. Took the plunge and got a Sargent seat without that slippery carbon and so far no issues. But the new seat is no silver cloud but seems to work atm.
Looks good. I've been debating on the Sergent seat myself. Also, what screen is that? Is it any better than the OEM Tall Screen?

Reactions: Riv

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
151 Posts
Looks good. I've been debating on the Sergent seat myself. Also, what screen is that? Is it any better than the OEM Tall Screen?
Thats the old tried and true puig smoked racing screen. Seems to be the best I have found so far. I tried the california scientific and it was not really much difference and I am avoiding that Vstream with the potential melting you dash ability.
Font Plant Vegetable Darkness Happy

Ninja smoke screen link puig site

Melt you screen Vstream link

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
2021 Ninja SX
16 Posts
Thanks, sounds like it's not likely to be worth the many hundreds of $$$. Been reading some similar discussions on here and it seems that there is no one-size-fits-all answer for any seat. Someone mentioned padded mountain biking shorts and that seems like a it could be a good place to start.
Tried the bicycle shorts thing. On the first day of riding from coast of Mississippi to Mid part of Ohio. That evening when I showered, I found out the rubber ring on the inside of the shorts that prevent inching up as you ride had gotten hot during the day, had caused blisters around my legs. First time using them, and the last time. Oh, and I was riding a 2013 Concorse14 at the time which are known for running hot.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Papa Rick, that's horrible, but probably not nearly as bad as knowing that is your form of transportation . Hundreds of miles from home and no choice but to work your way through the blisters

·
Registered
2021 Ninja SX
16 Posts
Papa Rick, that's horrible, but probably not nearly as bad as knowing that is your form of transportation . Hundreds of miles from home and no choice but to work your way through the blisters
Stuck it out. First day of riding in a 17 day trip. Gulfport, Ms to Buffalo NY, Then across to Seattle, Wa to visit family, then south to Reno, Nv then east on Hwy 50 (America's Loneliest Hwy) to Kansas, then south to home. 8964 miles total. Great ride on the Connie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts