Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have now covered 8000kms and have to admit the bike gets better and better. For me the sweet spot is at 5000 revs and the problem comes up when 6th gear is engaged. With the 16/15 and 39/41 sprocket conversion the bike comes alive. Don't get me wrong, even at lower revs the bike is very well mannered and good to ride. The performance is particularly good for passing and in the curves. I have fitted a GTR 1400 screen and the bike is now most suitable for FarRides. The next step will be to improve the lights with stronger Rallye globes before much night riding is due. I have measured the performance against two earlier bikes, a K1200 GT and a Concours 1400 ,combined 100k kms and comparing price weight etc. the Ninja stacks up exceedingly well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to agree with you on the gearing change. I went with 16/40 and it was the single best upgrade I made. Made it ride like a completely different bike. I have a reflashed ecu, Bazazz fueler, full Akra exhaust, but the gearing change was by far the best change to the bike.

Sometimes the simplest changes are the best!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the 16T front last weekend and was also completely blown away how much better it made the bike. Reading all of the reviews, I was sold on trying it but in no way did I expect it to be as dramatic as it was. I couldn't detect any loss in power and actually found myself using and enjoying the different gears.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It really makes a huge difference in the bike. I don't know if some of you saw the performance modeling thread I did where I modeled a lot of different gearing scenarios and their impact performance.

The 16T was a great mod with almost no statistically significant difference in the 1/4 mile times. It also makes the bike easier to launch. It also increases the top speed of the bike. The only area where it loses out to stock gearing is in roll on in 6th gear. It drops a bit but still is very strong compared to most bikes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I have now covered 8000kms and have to admit the bike gets better and better. For me the sweet spot is at 5000 revs and the problem comes up when 6th gear is engaged. With the 16/15 and 39/41 sprocket conversion the bike comes alive. Don't get me wrong, even at lower revs the bike is very well mannered and good to ride. The performance is particularly good for passing and in the curves. I have fitted a GTR 1400 screen and the bike is now most suitable for FarRides. The next step will be to improve the lights with stronger Rallye globes before much night riding is due. I have measured the performance against two earlier bikes, a K1200 GT and a Concours 1400 ,combined 100k kms and comparing price weight etc. the Ninja stacks up exceedingly well.
did you have to modify the gtr1400 screen to fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Landman,it was a V Stream screen ,length of 24 inches/61 cms.The dealer had it in old stock. I think it is lighter than the genuine Kwaka screen.I redrilled it to fit the 6 holding screws.There is a certain amount of flex but it has been tested in winds of 25 knots at over 140kph and no sign of failure. The existing frame work appears to be strong enough. I find in rain nearly full body protection, with helmet kept clear with the force of the wind . It cannot be used in the lowest screen adjustment because it fouls the levers but it is fully clear in the top position and does restrict manoeuvring to some degree at slow speed in the middle position.I leave it in the top position .

·
Registered
456 Posts
What are the new RPMs?

I have to agree with you on the gearing change. I went with 16/40 and it was the single best upgrade I made. Made it ride like a completely different bike. I have a reflashed ecu, Bazazz fueler, full Akra exhaust, but the gearing change was by far the best change to the bike.

Sometimes the simplest changes are the best!
I want to change sprockets. I am curious, right now at 60 mph in 6th the engine is doing 4k RPM. I want to bring that down to 3k RPM. Can you give me a 6th gear speed and the matching RPM with your 16/40 set-up? Also, does changing the sprocket make the speedometer inaccurate? Thanks!

P.S. I have a 2014 Ninja 1000. It doesn't appear to me to have the throttle issues others complain of but at around 85 mph there is a buzz in the entire bike.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Performance Modeling

It really makes a huge difference in the bike. I don't know if some of you saw the performance modeling thread I did where I modeled a lot of different gearing scenarios and their impact performance.

The 16T was a great mod with almost no statistically significant difference in the 1/4 mile times. It also makes the bike easier to launch. It also increases the top speed of the bike. The only area where it loses out to stock gearing is in roll on in 6th gear. It drops a bit but still is very strong compared to most bikes.
Could you kindly repost your "performance modeling or give me a link? Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I want to change sprockets. I am curious, right now at 60 mph in 6th the engine is doing 4k RPM. I want to bring that down to 3k RPM. Can you give me a 6th gear speed and the matching RPM with your 16/40 set-up? Also, does changing the sprocket make the speedometer inaccurate? Thanks!

P.S. I have a 2014 Ninja 1000. It doesn't appear to me to have the throttle issues others complain of but at around 85 mph there is a buzz in the entire bike.
A 1k drop in RPM is a pretty tall order and will almost certainly effect performance. This article provides feedback on some different sprocket changes and the impact on this bike: Kawasaki Ninja 1000 | DOIN' TIME

Note that even going up a tooth in the front and down four in the rear (with a chain swap) they still only got 800 RPM and acknowledged noticing the difference in performance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Firstly, I have gone 15 <16 and 41>39,my estimate is approx.12% change down in revs. Now 4k revs is actual 100 kph ,though showing 106 on speedo. For my style of riding, basically jaunts of up to 250 kms circuit around my area several times a week on country roads with a few hilly twisties, but mostly good country roads. I think I could handle a 37 rear sprocket, because there is a ton of power available in 5th to pass if one needs more than 6th .There would be approx. an 18% difference in the original revs and give me a road speed of 100 kph. at approx.3800 revs. I am sure that if one goes too far and makes the engine work too hard to maintain speed and difficult to accelerate ,fuel consumption would certain rise. Some years ago I had a European bike with 6 speed box that had the top gear almost an overdrive and it was quite nice bike to ride,provided you realised 5th gear was for rapid passing.
Also I am sure the speedo works off the rear ABS

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The larger tire was on my list when the change was due when out of the blue the agent rang me and told me I could have a full change over for about a $200 discount ,which I accepted and realised after the event my preference for the larger size.I realise the extra advantage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts