Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very proud owner of a brand spanking new 2015 ... just now did the 600 mile service.
Not new to two wheels ... been round bikes all my life .. have rode my own since 66 ..
Divorced harley for a Vulcan Classic 1500N
Left the cruisers for a ZZR1200 ... which I never will leave.
Got a 06 636 for track days
.... and .... got the N1k as a Christmas present from my 81 year old dad who still rides a Wing ... So yeah .. I am one proud puppy ......
Oh ... I reside in Reno Texas ... Anybody up for a Hill Country ride ....... =^>

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Awesome... you'll love the bike! Welcome to the forum DWC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CONGRATS! Any mods planned?
Oh yeah ....
got tank protectors, T-Rex sliders, Double bubble looking windshield, New set of Cortex Sport saddles and tail bag I've had laid up in the shop for awhile, some weird name midsize tank bag but it looks cool, Radar detector mounted and wired for my heated gear.

Get some more miles on her .. which won't take long .. Oklahoma get together mid Jan., Austin "Hand Built" show in April, Arkansas ZZRBikes rally in early May , end of May Deals Gap NC and the big one .. I'm shooting for mid June 191 in Arizona .....

Sometime in the middle of all that I'm looking at Ivan's flash mixed with Dale Walkers 4 into 1 cat eliminator setup. Still trying to find out if the two are compatible.

How bout you?

·
Registered
828 Posts
No problem mixing the exhaust mod with Ivan's. Just let him know at the time of the flash if you are doing a full exhaust mod or just something like slipons.

Post some pics when you get a chance. Always good for helping others with ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...... Black ... really like it ...
I fell in love with the N1K back in 11 when I test rode one when Kawasaki's "Ticket to Ride" came into town ... Was actually looking for a fun commuter to save miles on my long distance tourer a ZZR1200 ... Every time they would show up I'd go ride her again ... Was fixing to pull the trigger on a 16 late spring when Dad laid a bomb on me ... Now I'm spending some of that money on the N1K ... The real tourer test will be when I do AZ 191 camping trip this summer ... Just to see how she really handles it ... She's not here to replace the ZED (ZZR1200) .. just compliment her ..... =^>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome.

Dale Walkers 4 into 1 cat eliminator .....interesting.

Be sure and post up some pics after you install it

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd seriously consider doing a different header other than it might be way too loud. Quite honestly the N1K is pretty strong as is. Not current superbike fast but generally pretty good. I think though with the header a lot of the gains are up top and I don't need to spend much time at high rpm to make the bike pull well.

The downside is once you are up at that rpm in any gear other than first you are usually at "lose your license" speeds. Sort of reminds me of the ZX12R I had. Once at or near redline in 1st gear, I was in excess of every posted speed limit in the US. Where I really enjoyed the pull of my modded 12R was in the 120-180 mph range. That thing would do the 120-180mph sprint about as fast as a lot of bikes do 0-60. It was pretty much scary fast on the street.

I don't need the Ninja to be that fast. I found myself not able to control the tendency to grab a big handful of throttle every time there was a place i could open it up. Not to mention I once got stopped in excess of 100 mph over the posted limit. The speed limite was 70 mph as it was. I spent 2 years fighting that ticket in court until I ultimately won. I don't want to ever go through that again. That bike was like riding with a little demon on my shoulder constantly whispering "Come on DT, you want to twist it, go ahead, nobody is looking. Just pin the throttle for 5 seconds, you know you want to!" Damned if I didn't listen to that little voice more often than I should of.

The N1K is fast enough to be fun but not fast enough to be seductive to me. A good compromise as it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... Dale's set up is technically a slip on with mid pipe ... You retain the stock headers, .. Keeping the torque producing back pressure from those unusually small pipes .. knock out the cat and bolt on his mid pipe and can ......

Trim/heat shield has been left off to show the system.

Yeah I can relate bout the ZX12R ... The Zed is a road burner too .. after all it was designed to do one thing .. run up and down the Autobahn.

Heh heh .... yeah well .. I've had my licence suspended at least seven times always due to a heavy right hand .... now I don't ride without my radar detector .. best investment I ever made.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like Walker's stuff in general. I bought a lot of his stuff for a 1250 Bandit. It was very well sorted out like Ivan's tunes.

As for the exhaust, not much difference other than it looks like it is a 4 in to 1. I've been pretty happy with the Brawlers so far. I honestly didn't think I'd like them at all at first and bought them mostly because I wanted to save some weight and the price was right. I wasn't that sold on the looks before I mounted them. Now I feel like it was a good choice for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... I like the looks of the Brawlers .. remind me of the tailpipe tips they sell for cars ... and if the cat is still in place shouldn't be that loud I would think ..

I like the old style cans .. other than a bit smaller they still look like the one's I put on my first Zed back in 04.

Life's to short to own a bike that don't put a big ol grin on your face every time ya through a leg over her .. cause if she don't .. ya got the wrong bike ..

Making them "Your Own" is what it's all about.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I can honestly say they aren't "that" loud. OTOH I tend to ride pretty fast so I don't want to create to much of a racket to alert LEO I am coming.

For me the stock Brawlers (without db killers) are just on that edge of being too loud and attracting more attention than I want. I have the stock header with the cat. They do sound nice when the motor is at full song.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts