Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had Ivan reflash my 14's last week. I got it back Saturday and was able to get it back in yesterday. Awesome service! Awesome speaking with Ivan and I will definitely be working with him again.

Here is my question for the 14 owners: I set ktrc off, run the rpm up to about 6K in 2nd and snap the throttle wide open... bike rolls out nice.. no drama...
I was under the impression that the front end would be floating if I did this.. was I wrong ?

The bike is very smooth but still not the big hairy monster I was hoping for...

The bike has a front sprocket.

Going to get the Akro header in the off season... maybe I just don't have enough goodies?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can pull the front end up pretty good with KTRC on 1 and doing that. Not a full blown wheelie, but it does get a few inches off the ground before the KTRC kicks in fully.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
The larger front sprocket does tame this bike, try the same thing in first and see what happens.

The stock exhaust sucks, but you wont turn this into a zx14 if thats what your after.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the little bunny wheelies but watch maximus video shows his front wheel is up.

yeah I think the header will help quite a bit. if it doesn't well I guess I need to be satisfied or do something drastic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I had Ivan reflash my 14's last week. I got it back Saturday and was able to get it back in yesterday. Awesome service! Awesome speaking with Ivan and I will definitely be working with him again.

Here is my question for the 14 owners: I set ktrc off, run the rpm up to about 6K in 2nd and snap the throttle wide open... bike rolls out nice.. no drama...
I was under the impression that the front end would be floating if I did this.. was I wrong ?

The bike is very smooth but still not the big hairy monster I was hoping for...

The bike has a front sprocket.

Going to get the Akro header in the off season... maybe I just don't have enough goodies?
You are fine. The Front sprocket is the difference. When I had it stock, roll on wheelies in 1st and second where around 7k. But i tend to redline 1 through 3 with the new sprocket. it will try to pop up, but its not a supersport so You will need to just take it for its all around versatility.
I contemplated the white Z Version. But Break Neck was not the feel I desired.
Glad on the choice. But If you wanna just go retarded fast....... This will be the bike right here.. Your Hairy Monster

But Im Now 40. This N1K Suits my needs. BTW, Third gear stand ups starting at 40mph seem to be the most stable with the 1 up front sprocket.
besides that, Im 6 foot 4 inches tall...... Rocket days are over.... In Close I just wanna say, Hit redline @11.5 rpm ......She will come up in second around 7 1/2 to 8k but you need to be at a high RPM From 1st gear when you do the switch. I would power shift( Clutchless) this way you dont use cluth assistance . Since you will be already in a roll on wheelie, be nice on the upshift to prevent looping. Cover that rear.
Cheers. Loving this topic

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Stuff! I am always clutchless.. its almost awkward to use it now after first LOL!

I think maybe I am not exploiting that higher redline. I will give it a try, I am 48 so going back to pure race bikes would probably mean just buying a bike for track days and having 2 - in which case it would be an s1000rr- my current favorite.

I guess I never realized how much impact that sprocket made to performance... I guess the torque hides it a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually thought about that.. I put my hand perpendicular 12 oclock and yanked the **** out of it... looked like some old 50's café racer :) didn't help.

I think its the sprocket and the rpm range I will experiment this weekend the rpms.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Beast

My bike is stock...i like the gearing...now when I play with the front end lift off I'M CAREFUL BECAUSE IN KTC1 OR OFF SHE COMES UP FAST..especially when the tank is about 1/3 full...much easier then...I not skilled at soft landings yet...I'm afraid the wheel is going to fly up...then I dump it down which I don't like....can't do it like the Max...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is weird: When I yank the throttle in first gear at about 15-20 with ktrc at 1 I get a tiny bunny wheelie that makes me laugh, probably only 6 inches off the ground and the ktrc brings the front right down... I do the same thing with ktrc off and it only gets light in the front.

I just wonder if that back tire is spinning and I am not detecting it and the traction light isn't coming on because ktrc is off... I still need to do a lot more playing with it... but I am pulling these little baby wheelies at every stop with ktrc 1 and having fun LOL!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ivan just posted his annual Xmas sale on his stuff from Nov 27th till Dec 24th. I'm in for the full package. Gonna recommend he join here when I call him. Info came from the FZ1OA forum where I'm a long time member.

·
Registered
711 Posts
oooooooooooh! I'm going to have to get on that.

Though, I'm unsure what the $'s would be? lol...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm not seeing a discount on the header myself either. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ivan just posted his annual Xmas sale on his stuff from Nov 27th till Dec 24th. I'm in for the full package. Gonna recommend he join here when I call him. Info came from the FZ1OA forum where I'm a long time member.
That's where I came across Ivan's stuff as well. I'm a big fan of the work he does and won't go anywhere else for fueling and exhaust mods. Some folks are put off that he tries to protect the work he's done but I respect him for it and don't mind letting him make some $. Not saying that other paths won't work but I've never heard anyone really complain about the result, just that he won't give away his fueling maps (if that's what you need, try finding a good fueling map off of a file-sharing site).

I like supporting people who make stuff that makes my life easier and my bikes run better....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Finally got thru to him, he's been out sick for over a week & still coughed quite a bit. Went with full Akro exhaust, ECU reflash, air filter & AIS removal kit. Since I don't ride over 9K rpm frequently Ivan said a PC was not needed. Will be removing ECU on Sunday for shipment to him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts