Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Ivans Reflash of ECU

44K views 218 replies 39 participants last post by  MikSchultzy 
#1 ·
Sent him my ECU today. He will get it Monday and I will have it back in no time. Storm might come through, so no riding anyway. Why not......
Im Getting Block-off plates and the K&N Filter.
Before im asked.... The re-flash is $350 The Filter and Plates are $50 &$55 Respectively. U also Pay return Shipping. Cost $19.99 To Ship w/$1k Insurance on it from Hawaii to him in New York

I know I will be happy with the improvements I will Gain. Here what it offers.......

1) Low gear power limiters removed

2) Disable speed limiter (Ninja/SX)

3) Disable fuel cut for flawless throttle control

4) Re-program sub-throttles for max power and driveability at any rpm and throttle position

5) Cooling fans come on at 200 degrees

6) Reduced engine braking on decel

7) Disable Exhaust Servo error code- No need for exhaust servo eliminator (EXUP eliminator) anymore (Z1000 only)

8) Complete re-curve of ignition timing at all throttle positions - optimized for 89 octane fuel (premium fuel not necessary)

9) Raise rev-limit to 11,500 rpm

10) Anything that compromises performance and/or driveability is eliminated.

11) Disable O2 sensor function for stable fuel mixtures (EU & AU models only)
11a) Disable O2 sensor code to avoid error code from it's removal

12) My tuning program :
Throttle "quality" is flawless in the corners.... it makes rediculous power and good mileage as well with no flat areas , no matter what you do with the throttle... even at low revs.

13) Free upgrades when/if we make improvements. (shipping not included)

14) Return your ecu back to stock at no charge for any reason.
(shipping not included)

15) Answers to all your questions.

I will Update as this Mod Progresses. Ride safe Guys n Gals!! :cool::eek::D

See less See more
Reactions: Clint1975
#3 ·
Did you do the block off plates or filter? Stock Exhaust or slip on or Full?
Im super stoked....... Cant wait.
I dont have a decibel pop, so Im thinking, Block off plates not needed. I do want the filter though. But wont if not necessary. Yosh r55 slip ons is what Im running.
:eek:

#4 ·
Nope. 100% stock engine and exhaust. I may get the M4 slipon mufflers at Christmas. But no popping at all. Sounds good and runs closer to what a true super sport feels like. Rode this morning and felt the front end come off the ground in First second and third gears. This has to be the best mod for the money. And fuel economy the last two days has me right at 43 mpg. It's unreal.

Now I'm looking at suspension work. I'm too heavy for the stock set up. 235#'s and I can't get it dialed in. Looking at around $1600 for front fork springs, rear spring, and complete re valving on both.

#5 ·
Tru, I think you might have the ideal set up.

I know my exhaust has blah..blah.blah more, up top, but I've got to listen to that thing constantly. Honest, not sure its worth that.

#7 ·
I did the entire exhaust....I'd maybe consider skipping all of it. Leave it stock. Everything.

The older bikes had the exhaust that interfered with your feet positioning, so it was nice to have it gone, but I'm not crazy about the noise. My bike is not horrible. Actually, its perfectly legal, but still. Stock.

The header added power where I rarely use it, so no way would I buy another.

I mean it ten times over if I had to choose between exhaust and suspension. My suspension is worth way, way more on the enjoyment scale than the exhaust.

#8 ·
That's awesome advise. Thank you. I actually like the stock exhaust. But wanted some thing black and smaller. But the edgy design is nice. May just leave it, not sure. But my fat butt needs a better suspension. Not for racing, just comfort and overall handling. You won't find me at the track or racing on the street. Just a spectator.

#10 ·
#12 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Ivan has had two test bikes and has ours in personal his collection. He painstakingly went through all necessary improvements needed. I dont think
that the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) was an issue. He did not list this as a factor, but did say anything needing improvement will be covered. So Im trusting his judgement.
Ivan is the last of a dying breed. He is a perfectionist. Never settling for less than close to perfect. The motorcycle community will be at a loss when he retires.
So I do believe this custom map will have this covered if it was or is an issue. He has choices of maps and assigns according to your setup. For me its with slip ons.
Im doing the Air box mod today. He threw in some caps for me so Im good on Decel Pops if any consider becoming Audiable.

#14 ·
Quick question, I am completely on board with every improvement, but is there a reason you are decreasing engine braking? Personal preference?

#15 ·
Engine braking decrease--- For the reason that our bike has a choppy Throttle response.
If you in 6th gear & full close the throttle you will notice an immediate slow down. In the lower gears it can feel as if you will be tossed over the handlebars (Dramatized example) and so by either raising your Idle speed or fixing it through the map, this can be eliminated. And so This is the reason this is done.
Cornering will be much smoother, and wheelies will be more controlled.
Hope this answer helps to understand the "Why".

#17 ·
Air Box Mod---- Done!

So He (Ivan)will include for me some caps for the Air Box mod, But I had some Laying around. I went ahead and did the Block off Mod. Alternative to Block Off plates, Marbles, and Screws.
No more Decibel Pop Due to air in Exhaust manifold. Didn't have an issue, don't expect one, but Why Not.... Im Off today. ECU Is in the mail on its way back!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Cant wait:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heres a Video Description
https://youtu.be/ZhnNpAvcX6E

#18 ·
I did the full Ivan treatment on my last bike an FZ1 - transformed the bike into the best running machine I've ever owned. Now that he's got the package ready for the '14 N1K I can feel a draining of my bank account is coming in the near future :)

Reactions: maximus96792
#19 ·
Okay, so ECU has been installed 2 days now. Rode once, due to storm weather here. Well storm never really came. Thankfully

I have to say, The bike is a new beast. You can go WOT in any gear and the Pull is amazing. Haven't tried 89 Octane yet, but have heard its fine. Loving the Fans being on at 200 Deg.
The Flat out Linear power is consistent, and the 11.5 Rev limiter is a great little add to the shift time.
A few people complain that the loss of throttle closure engine braking is a issue. For me I like it, and as soon as my mind gets reprogrammed It will be the Norm. There is still a slight deceleration effect, but far from the stock which for me was distracting. Smooth roll on and I'm loving it. It might for some feel as if with the clutch pulled there's still engagement. That's all in your cranium. 70% front 30% Back is what I was taught. So reliance on engine braking is not in my book.
If you save or boss ballinn..... Well worth the money in my opinion.
I did also did a airbox mod. This is to totally eliminate any Decel Pop. Never had one but Ivan Recommended I do it.
Next Air Mod will be the 10 holes Im gonna put in the front of the airbox Vertically to deepen the Air Growl of the Beast and increase air intake.
Safe riding Guys, Cheers

#21 ·
Update

So I just did yesterday, the longest wheelie of my life ( about 1/2 Mile) In stand up mode, But I noticed that i had a slight fluttering sound . All day at work I though It might have been because I have a stock filter. So I was gonna get one of the two available. Then As I remembered I did change another thing that could be a factor. Yesterdays fill up i Bought 89 Octane. Im betting thats the case. Although Ivan has changed the map to compensate for the lower octane fuel, I dont think my bike likes 89. Im hoping this is the case and If so I will stick to my prior usage of 92 to 94.
Other than that I have no complaints. I feel alot more in control of the ponies when the throttle is applied. Dont get me wrong, Absolutely nothing was wrong before the flash.... and Its not a super sport. But in my Opinion (imo) why not get all thats possible? So Im gonna Go with Octane 1st. Then Ill try Filter. Then If its still an issue I will ask for suggestions. I also Gonna Do the Hole Drilling mod on the Box to get the GROWL up a tadd
Im Loving this Bike.....

#24 ·
I'm Gonna Go with Ethanol Free Gas 1st. Gonna Go Low as suggested and Have been told I will feel the difference. No debate necessary.. Ive read too much on the topic in the past hour to not think this may be a factor. Speaking on the Post earlier on my Fluttering feeling. Update coming in a few days.
Darn govt. Projects messing with our motors.... :eek:

#26 ·
I'm considering the ECU reflash myself. I know it removes various limiters, but will it replace the need to go up to a 16 front sprocket to reduce cruising RPMs? Also, is the ECU the black box right under the gas tank? Easy removal?

#28 ·
I installed some urban brawlers if i get a reflash will i have to get a fuel controller also, thats the way i read it on ivans website but i could be dazed and confused

#30 ·
On the newer bike, the reflsh takes care of everything.

On our older 2011-2013 machines, we do need a fuel controller.

The reason being is the efi system changed. The newer bikes system is much more advanced and Ivan was able to do everything inside the ecu. Not so on the older machine.

I know, $$$, but dont let that be a factor. Easier said than done, but this reflash is a big deal on our older machines.

#32 ·
Would love to get in on some of this Ivan lovin', but terrified of sending my precious ECU overseas...!

#33 ·
DHL is they way to go. I even shipped an ECU from Russia back to the US with no issues. If anything of value is likely to disappear, Russia is as likely as any place for that to happen. One prison official just stole 50km of highway and resold it. DHL took great care of it and it arrived in the US with no issues and came back the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.