Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting Ivan's flash done. Should I wait until after the 12 month factory warranty expires? I didn't buy an extended warranty. Also, i may move to Tx and certain counties there require emissions testing. Would the flash effect the test results negatively?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked at Ivan's site again and noticed it does state that his reflash may not meet emissions standards. Guess I'll have to wait and see if where I move requires the testing or not.

·
Registered
560 Posts
In my humble opinion, if you want the reflash there is no need to wait until the warranty runs out. Ivans work is stellar and these bikes are extremely reliable. Very doubtful you will need warranty service on your bike and they would have to pull the ECU to know that you have had it reprogrammed.

I had my new (2013) bike three months before sending my ECU off to Ivan. Worth every penny. Best bang for the buck of all my modifications. Mine was one of the older version that required a PC5 and block off plates. Now the maps are in the ECU and I believe the PAIR system is disabled inside the ECU as well so it is simply plug and play.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
No one really requires emissions testing on motorcycles, like we have on our cars. Theres no standard between the various bikes, yet. I imagine that will happen, soon enough. You might find a city/county that has a safety inspection, but not emissions. Its a strange thing. I know all of us here in the usa are required to keep our bikes compliant, but so far theres been almost zero effort makinggn sure we really do.

About all they could do, right now, is train people to look for stock exhaust systems as well as compliant aftermarket systems, and none of the states have put out that sort of effort.

With the 2017 bikes, and newer, I believe those do have that OBD II port. Its possible that might be standard between the various manufacturers. Being your new bike is a 2015, theres no worry.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all that replied. I checked the regs again and read that diesel engines and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing in Tx. Will most likely get Ivan's flash done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see a video showing how to remove the ecu from the 11-13 Ninja 1000. Nothing on the 15. Is it the same? Do I need to disconnect the battery before removing it?

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
I do disconnect the battery , just because....however, i've "dis-remembered" to do that a few times with no issues. Still, disconnect it just to be sure.

Other than changing out the piss poor stock tires, I don't believe there is a better mod available for our bikes. If the warranty ever came into question, you could always find a work around, or flash back to stock.

On this bike, I would not wait 12 months to have it done. Odds are you will not need the warranty and Ivan can flash it back to stock if you ever did.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What are you waiting for??

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I asked this before but what is the best way to contact Ivan? I have a 2017 Ninja 1000 and I am being told that Ivan does not have a reflash ready yet for this year. That being said I have a couple questions and would like to contact Ivan.

Bc2

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I asked this before but what is the best way to contact Ivan? I have a 2017 Ninja 1000 and I am being told that Ivan does not have a reflash ready yet for this year. That being said I have a couple questions and would like to contact Ivan.

Bc2
You can find his contact number on the Ivan's Performance site. I called and he answered the phone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi All,

Bc2
You have other options besides Ivan, such as 2 Wheel Dyno Works and Guhl Motors... Not sure if Dano's Performance is doing the N1K yet..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen a video explaining how to remove the ecu on a 11-13 N1k. Anyone able to explain the process for pulling the ecu on a 15 or is it the same?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I sent my ECU in to Ivan today. I should have in the past but could not allow myself to not have access to use the bike until our winter season. Now that I cannot use the bike due to some freezing rain, I sent it away. I also had to put together some coin as it is not cheap. I am pretty excited to feel what the changes will do. I have a 16 Chowda and the removal video worked just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sent my ECU in to Ivan today. I should have in the past but could not allow myself to not have access to use the bike until our winter season. Now that I cannot use the bike due to some freezing rain, I sent it away. I also had to put together some coin as it is not cheap. I am pretty excited to feel what the changes will do. I have a 16 Chowda and the removal video worked just fine.
Let us know the results of the ECU, I,m thinking of getting it, thanks...…...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ivan's reflash is worth every penny!!! I overnighted mine a year ago (got in on his Christmas special) and had it back in three days. I wasn't looking for high speed performance gains, but when RC told me how much better it handled at slow speeds which is where I really needed the help, I went for it. I had a 2015, and I could tell just pulling it out of the garage that it was WAAAAY smoother! I have a 0.3 mile long gravel driveway that goes uphill toward the end coming home. I let it idle at 6-7mph, didn't touch the throttle or levers, and it slowly and smoothly made its way almost to the top of the hill. I was sold!!!

One of the last rides I took on it included the Branson strip (two lanes with a center turn lane) with my riding buddies and four zillion tourists. A couple of my friends were complaining about going so slow; I took the opportunity to work on clutch control. That bike was so smooth that I barely had to put my feet down--which, at 5'2"/28" inseam, the less I had to put my feet down on that bike, the happier I was!!!:grin:

I really miss my N1K.:crying: But my 300(0) is GREAT and I know it's a better choice for me for now. It's pretty smooth stock, but it cuts off pretty abruptly when you roll off. If Ivan does a reflash for it, I'll be first in line!

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Thats the part of the flash I enjoy most. The instant response. Just like a dirt bike. I can imagine how cool a flashed 300 would be. If you get more power, thats great, but that instant response makes me keep the bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I really miss my N1K.:crying: But my 300(0) is GREAT and I know it's a better choice for me for now. It's pretty smooth stock, but it cuts off pretty abruptly when you roll off. If Ivan does a reflash for it, I'll be first in line!
Baz, I'm glad you are still checking in with us. I've missed you around here since you got your 300. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you Happy Holidays!

I'm really glad I got a Ninja 400 to compliment my Ninja 1000. I love them both, but I'm glad to have the lighter bike when I don't 'need' the 1000. I'm not getting any younger and it makes for the perfect grab and go companion. It's nice and cheap to run, handles great, and stops and goes with ease. Even though the seat heights are similar on paper, the 400 feels noticeably lower, and is much easier to move around. I could see myself pushing the 400 to a near-by gas station. I'm not even going to try it with the 1000.

I'll get back on topic...

I hope Ivan looks into the 400 also. I would buy it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Baz, I'm glad you are still checking in with us. I've missed you around here since you got your 300. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you Happy Holidays!

I'm really glad I got a Ninja 400 to compliment my Ninja 1000. I love them both, but I'm glad to have the lighter bike when I don't 'need' the 1000. I'm not getting any younger and it makes for the perfect grab and go companion. It's nice and cheap to run, handles great, and stops and goes with ease. Even though the seat heights are similar on paper, the 400 feels noticeably lower, and is much easier to move around. I could see myself pushing the 400 to a near-by gas station. I'm not even going to try it with the 1000.

I'll get back on topic...

I hope Ivan looks into the 400 also. I would buy it in a heart beat.

Thanks for the kind words! Even though I'm not officially in the clique anymore, I have 23,373 miles of experience on my N1K so I hope I can still contribute to the greater good around here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts