Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen on another forum where Ivan susposedly has developed the flash in 3rd gen bikes that covers the power commander in the ecu and you dont have to buy one. I think ill give ivan a call tommorrow and verify this. If this is the case ill probably get mine flashed

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im calling him tomorrow rc and verifying it

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Ive said it before, but theres a good chance i would have left my exhaust stock had this reflash happened earlier.

At the time, the set up was an exhaust and removing the butterflies, so I went that way.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea ill probably do it if ivan confirms this is true, i really did not want to add the power commander to the bike, i like to keep it simple and less electrical parts means less issues

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
The power commander has never caused an issue for me, several years and several bikes. Still, I agree with you.

When it came out, it was fresh technology. I wont even say it like that. I'll say, "I am anxious to see what the next generation fuel controller offers."

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Could not get ahold of ivan today ill try again tommorrow, the power commander probably is no issue, from what i searched a bunch of them did cause issues but that was probably the earlier ones.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I saw this post on another forum, for a good source (broken blinker) Id trust it to be accurate.:

He said....

Alright, let me try and be super comprehensive to clear this up.

Old Ivan Package (can be done with, or without full exhaust - full exhaust makes more peak power but similar down low:
ECU + Power Commander.(there are more or less expensive power commander options).
The ECU has the changes to fan turn on speed, low speed torque limiting removed, ignition timing changed, fuel cutoff eliminated, etc. etc. The power commander has the premade fuel map that he has created for a given exhaust/intake configuration. You also have the option of taking the bike to a dyno tuner to get it fine tuned for your personal setup.

New Ivan Package (can be done with, or without full exhaust - full exhaust makes more peak power but similar down low:
ECU only.
The ECU has the changes to fan turn on speed, low speed torque limiting removed, ignition timing changed, fuel cutoff eliminated, etc. etc. In addition, the ECU now comes preloaded with the fuel map that was previously done on the power commander. Because there is no power commander, you now do not have the option to take this to a dyno tuner. However, it also means you don't have to pay for a power commander.

As far as I am aware, Ivan is still offering both setups. The block off plates are a different issue - they block secondary air injection and are optional as far as I am concerned. You can easily plug the hosing and practically remove it without actually removing it. This is less clean of an option, so people often opt to take the system out entirely and use block off plates while they're already in there installing an air filter or something similar. Additionally, Ivan recommends an aftermarket air filter for both of these options.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I still will wait for you to call, hope is true you don't need it as it is very attractive price without it....
All I want is a smoother throttle, and in the future maybe a header.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that would definately be a bargain for sure,still in the air about the ignition timing thing.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seen another post on broken blinkers and they said ivan never said anything to them about you can just get the ecu flashed. Hopefully ill find out something tommorrow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got a hold of ivan and he did confirm an ecu flash for the 3rd gen with the fueling charts in the ecu and no power commander needed, but if you need something adjusted ivan cant email you any adjustments like with a power commander, or cant do any tunning to the ecu for the fuel, so if something arose you would probably have to get ecu reflashed and power commander.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So, you get it without the power commander, then if something needs to be updated, you can buy the power commander then?

or still need to send to change the ECU to add the power commander?

Note: I'm still under 500 miles so cant see the actual power of the bike, and not sure if it is not that linear, so it will take me a while top upgrade.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea no adjustments if you dont have the power commander but the ecu flash ought to be good, i dont know how many is running this set up brokenblinker is the first ive herd of

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Mark, I am running the stock ivan map in my powercommander. To dyno tube this, to make it better? I'm basically where you will be since I have Ivans e map in it.

Its not even on my list, and there is not much Ive left stock on my bike.

Not a matter of "good enough", its nto even a thought.

That pcv money can be spent on so may other areas before a custom tune.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Wait a minute, you could still have the reflash tuned. You would just buy the power commander, plug it in, and proceeded to tune bike. Building a new map, with small changes instead of starting with IVans map as a base.

No disadvantage to doing it this new way at all, just the strong possiblity of saving 275-300 dollars.

Good on ivan for doing this. Doing this was a pita for him.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea RC i think it should be fine, ill probably try and get this done soon

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dang i remember having the pvl ignition installed in earlier model dirt bikes and racing kart engines and you could feel the acceleration come alive, that was probably my favorite mod back in the day

1 - 20 of 36 Posts