Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Volfy, so you just had to remove the cap and then connect a six pin connector?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Train are you throwing codes?

·
Registered
592 Posts
It looks like you have matched the cable to this reader. Wireless Bluetooth OBDII or OBD2 Reader Scanner Tool for Android.

Is that correct and if so, how did you find it using it ?? ( Great / Good / OK / So-So / Bad)
I use that bluetooth reader to read my cars with Torque Pro. Lots of engine parameters on standard OBD2 protocol.

Kawasaki OTOH doesn't expose too many parameters. Just the bare basics like RPM. IIRC, even engine coolant temp was not live. Overall, pretty sucky. Then again, to me it's worth the $22 for the adapter cable. If for no other reason than just being able to clear fault codes. Back when I installed the exhaust headers, I forgot to connect the O2 sensor and turned on the ignition. The ECU promptly threw a couple of codes. Now, Kawi is nice enough to let you peruse through any active fault codes by pressing certain button sequence (forgot, but it's in the manual), and even have a way for you to clear the codes (again some button sequence and going through several engine operating cycles). Kinda pain in the butt, if you ask me. If the fault(s) become inactive, they will eventually cycle out of the system, but you have to ride the bike for a while before you can be sure.

Way easier to hook up the OBD2 reader, and voila...

You can find the same adapter even cheaper on ebay, but I like Amazon Prime.

Reactions: Murphyau

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
369 Posts
Thanks for the info. Getting the error codes by using the buttons, is not too hard, but "manually" resetting the codes is a PIA and not always successful. An OBD2 reader would be so much easier, and the Torque Pro app looks interesting.

I might see if Santa will bring me one for Xmas.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
I know we have all been on ebay and seen the plug in readers. Can you use one of those, and pair it up to your phone? I wish someone would rip off the Kawasaki kds system.

Like this random one:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts