Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had a bike for about the last 10 years. I came up from a nighthawk 700s to a cbr1000f and owned that a Harley and a interceptor 500 chick bike all at the same time. I loved my 1991 cbr1000f.

So now I am a little fatter and a lot older. I am looking at the ninja 1000 as carry over 2013 model.

QUESTION - do I want the ABS?

QUESTION- what are members here seeing for pricing on the carry over 2013?

was told by a large dealer here in Ohio that the 2014's are sold out and he has easy access to green 2013's both abs and non abs. Thinks he could find a white bike. I like the white.

So comments are welcome, Is this the right bike? ABS yes or no? I never been on a abs bike. I know I can not take an aggressive seating position as much as I would love an all out sport bike. What says the group.

·
Registered
492 Posts
2014 was a significant overhaul.. power/traction nannies/frame redesign for the boxes. There are still some 2014's in ohio I saw a green one at Iron Pony in westerville 2 weeks ago.

I came from a 600 Hurricane sold in 99...13 years... 600 gsxr.. just bought my 14 in october and its awesome! You wont be dissappointed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In October, I bought a 2013 ABS for $7995.00 out the door off a dealer in Petersburg, West Virginia. He still has them listed on ebay. For that price, you can add a lot of extras. I'm a bit old school, I have no interest in ABS, Traction Control and most of the other optional stuff that can break and cost a fortune to fix. The only thing the 2014 has that I like is the gearing change and you can work on that with new sprockets.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For me the cost of admission was worth it for a 2014 because of the panniers. They are so easy to take on/off and the bike looks great with or without the bags. I also think ABS is a bit overrated for an experienced rider though a great tool for the newer rider or one that rides in the rain a lot.

Either way you cannot go wrong. With a few inexpensive mods (handlebar riser kit if you're short like me and a new seat) you have a terrific all day sport touring motorcycle. Oh and ditch the OEM tires as soon as you can. They suck bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wife getting ready as I type to go look at some bikes. I will report back. I also have looked at a used CBR1000f, I really loved my old CBR. I know is a Ninja forum. I am looking for something new that is the same type of bike, thus it seems the Ninja is the closest.

·
Premium Member
16,079 Posts
With what I've seen 14's discounted to.......well, I'll say this. No more new Kawasaki's for me. When I start seeing 3000 off sticker price, they can keep their new, current models.

·
Registered
981 Posts
ABS is nice. Regardless of your experience, surface conditions can vary greatly. The lack of ABS wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but get it if you can.

I agree. I can count on both hands the amount of times the ABS has kicked in on my 2013. I love to hard brake and I'm pretty confident I could brake in a shorter distance on a non-ABS N1K in perfect conditions but it's in the non- perfect conditions the ABS is nice to have.

·
Premium Member
16,079 Posts
I also believe abs will help with re-sale. Anyone will buy a bike with it. It just doesn't hurt anything, even if you dislike it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys.

Newb here. I'm having a similar debate in my head. There is a 13' sitting a local dealer that they are trying to get rid of for peanuts. And I'm not worried about ABS, and certainly not worried about the power modes. My main question, Gary K pointed out that there was a difference in the bags, can you elaborate on the differences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a lot of bike if you aren't used to liter bike acceleration. But it's a brilliant engine management program--very smooth. You do want the ABS. That's moromic insanity to say you don't. It's not like ABS in a Ford van. It's a high performance thing like a fighter plane and the programming is different. You also want the traction control. I put my bike into T1 and I can ride up my 400' driveway with the throttle pegged and it makes big surges but doesn't throw gravel. This can save your *** in states where they sand the road during snow but you can ride much of the winter. Like Indiana.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.