Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys know what a nightmare this bike is to insure. I had always dealt with progressive . Cars, house, motorcycles.

They wanted 750.00 to insure my new 2012 ninja. I almost paid that, but I decided to shop around.

AMIG had better pricing. They were about 350, per year. 500 dollar deductibles. 100/300/500k for the dollar limits. I have never changed this limit with any of the policies.

That was fine, but we had a member who was an insurance guy. He did not talk about the company he worked for. He basically took us to school .

He said AMIG had poor customer scores and were horrible with claims. Good enough. I shopped more and found Nationwide. The cost went up, a little, but it didn't exceed 325.00 for the same limits, so I switched.

Fast forward to yesterday. My bill arrives and the a-holes increased this rate to 423.00 per year.

I went back to my Progressive policy where I have my c14 and dirt bike insured. I selected "add a vehicle" and plugged the Ninjas info in.

The price it gave me was 175.00 to insure from May 1 2022 to April 2023. I'll buy it.

Have you guys had crazy insurance price increases for no reason? I didn't get a ticket. No claim. No accident.

Reactions: Crawsack and Oramac

·
Registered
34 Posts
State Farm charged me $355.00 for Jan 11, 2022 - Mar 7, 2023 (works out to $304.00 per year). That seemed pretty reasonable for a 2022 1000SX.

We've been with the same State Farm agent since 1990. The house, both cars, and the bike are all insured through State Farm. Try insuring everything through the same company, and compare the total price. Having one insurance company to deal with for any issue has been helpful. We've made very few claims across all policies over the last 32 years, I think that also helps.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It helps to understand how insurance companies work. They are balancing higher claim risks with lower claims risks. That is a moving target. As an example, let’s say they want 50% in a certain risk category and 50% in another risk category. When that ratio gets out of wack, they adjust who they will insure and/or how much they charge accordingly.

A few years back I had a homeowners policy that went up several hundred dollars a year. I spoke with a neighbor who referred them to me and he said his did not go up. Nothing changed for me to cause them to raise it. But we were in a zip code that had higher storm risks, so they were just balancing their portfolio and I apparently drew the short straw.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried that, several times. The one company idea. It didn't work, for me. Having the dirt bike helps, but the rate, grouped together , became expensive once the Ninja was added. If I backed it out, and left it on it's own, the overall cost was less, until now.

As far as dealing with multiple companies, all I've ever done is send them money. I've never had a claim of any kind.

Maybe that's the point? Don't automatically pay without shopping first?

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
386 Posts
Definitely shop around. I'm with AAA for both my cars and Progressive for the Ninja. I haven't seen crazy price hikes from either, though I admit I haven't looked too hard either.

I will say, having written repair estimates for an auto body shop for a few years, I will NEVER, EVER insure a car with Progressive. The bike I'm ok with b/c if I crash it, it'll probably total anyway. But a car that might actually get repaired? No fucking way. Progressive is by far the worst auto insurance company I ever worked with at the body shop. I've got too many horror stories about their adjusters screwing over their clients, and smiling about it.

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dont know how it works in the States but here in Aus there is a huge push to buy online - To the point that I even had to cancel a policy to start a new policy with exactly the same company to get 15% off - They were still the cheapest - but there is no reward for loyalty anymore they just want to spruik new business numbers not retained business numbers.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Nationwide policy went from 298.00 to 489.00. no changes to the policy. I had been with them since 2017. No contact with them other than paying the bill.

Minlak, that's about what happened to me. I suppose I could have called a local agent, but online was easy.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
202 Posts
Drop collision in CA and magically its $400/yr instead of 1300-1800/yr. It's nuts over here. All my other coverages are more than adequate. Paying 1k a year extra for 2.5k collision deductible on a bike worth 5-6k is just bonkers.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done my very best speeding after the house, and after I was married.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
Insurance costs are broken up into these 2 major groups:
A. liability (covering others)
B. your own property (the vehicle itself)

Are you selecting to cover (B) ?
How much is your deductible?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
Did you try this little green talking animal & see what they offer?
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gesture

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
Drop collision in CA and magically its $400/yr instead of 1300-1800/yr. It's nuts over here. All my other coverages are more than adequate. Paying 1k a year extra for 2.5k collision deductible on a bike worth 5-6k is just bonkers.
This is true here in WA as well.
I figured that if I cannot afford to lose my entire bike, I should not be taking up this hobby.
It's a hobby. I do not need it to make a living and I need to reckon that.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Insurance costs are broken up into these 2 major groups:
A. liability (covering others)
B. your own property (the vehicle itself)

Are you selecting to cover (B) ?
How much is your deductible?

Arthur, I have been covering both. I tried both 500 and 1000 deductible. That made some difference. Figure a 25% drop when the higher deductible was selected. My riding season is short and I'm in a low crime area.

The Concours never costs much, no matter what number is selected. I didn't try Geico. Years ago I used them and they were horrible to work with. I believe the conversation ended with me calling the rep a filthy c-word. She was, and probably still is? I don't say that word, ever, but she earned the title.

I had a damaged rental car in New York and they had terrible customer service. I'm sure things have improved since then? I'm happy, but I should do an online quote. This progressive policy is 12 years old and I added the Ninja in. Maybe that helped? We went the rounds over whether I was in Fishkill, or Poughkeepsie, or some Village.. Rock would have known. I didn't .

Energy drink, I've never had the thought of slowing down because I was married and had a house. That's what life insurance is for, isn't it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I never paid more than $400/yr on my Ninja with full coverage, $500 deductible. Been with State Farm for many years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts