Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a question. My bike is paid for so I have the ability to just go to Liability to full coverage options. When I was talking to my actual insurance agent, he said that you can use their app and turn on and turn off insurance coverages daily if you wanted to. He did that for his collector Vet he owns (according to him). So if traveling we can turn on full coverage and when parked in the garage you can go back to liability or other limited choice in reducing your rates like turning off collision. Has anyone else heard of this and has anyone actually tried?

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
76 Posts
The closest to this I've heard of is in colder climates, insurance allows you to switch to an off season mode where you're only charge is for comprehensive and basic liability.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I've used it with Allstate. I believe you have to have some full coverage already and then your putting on hold or paying a very reduced rate for everything except comprehensive coverage. It was explained that if they found the vehicle was in use during that time though the whole policy would be canceled. I was doing it for weeks at a time though so have no clue about daily.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention was I was shopping around before sticking with the same insurance carrier and all three major carriers confirmed that you can do this. First one recommended it to me, second one said - I wouldnt do it in case you forget to toggle it on, the third said I could but said "I wouldnt recommend it".

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
I'm an insurance guy and tend to agree about being careful with this option. There's the possibility of forgetting to turn it on, something happens and you have uncovered or undercovered loss.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I ride year around but I did ask my State Farm Agent about it taking off a few months when we started spending a lot of time with relatives in MI. He said State Farm pro-rates their motorcycle coverage based on how long the riding season was. Partially why it's cheaper here in Seattle than in L.A. They didn't allow you to turn on and off MC insurance. This was about 10-12 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts