Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get rid of my goldwing and as a 57 year old rider have a lighter bike to have touring times on but not a beast to navigate around on. I saw the post on insurance and thought before I commit I better call progressive and see what the deal is. Yes person in another thread I am one on thos eold safe riders with a fat belly that actually rides safe had to say it. Anyway you guys are right progressive rates this bike exactly the same as the zx10RR. This is a deal breaker for me am not spending a 1000 dollars are year to insure something at my age should be 500 max. My Goldwing which would cost far more to repair if I had an accident is 260 per year with insanely good coverage. Are their any companies out there that have figured out this isn't the kill your self crotch rocket?

Don

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will be watching this thread with great interest...my plan is to pick up a 2020 Ninja 1000SX in the Spring of next year to replace my '16 FJR1300, but I'm not about to pay anything near $1000/yr. Right now my insurance (54 years old, spotless driving record) for my FJR is around $350/yr via Safeco (one of the few companies that would rate it a sport-TOURER rather than a SPORT tourer)....I was prepared of course to have it go up, but was expecting around $500/yr. Anything much beyond that will make me question my decision.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
147 Posts
I'm 52 and have been riding for around 28 years. I just purchased a 2019 N1K and before that had a Speed Triple. I had full coverage on the Speed Triple with Geico which cost around $400 a year. For the same coverage, it now costs about $1200 a year. I shopped around and some like Progressive were more. The best quote that I can get is Allstate for $700 a year. I live in Southern California.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Nationwide was decent, for me, as was AMIG. I could not get a decent rate from anyone else. Its still more expensive that the bikes they call "touring" bikes, like my concours 14 or FJR.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I pay 248 dollars for six months on my 2013 Ninja 1000. That is for a 58 year old rider with a clean driving record, and discounts for having all my vehicles, home, umbrella policy etc. with State Farm. In my opinion that is pretty high. By comparison I have a 2019 Tracer 900 GT which is 189 dollars for six months for the same coverage.

During the winter months I suspend my insurance which saves quite a bit of money, then when I am ready to ride in the spring a quick phone call reactivates the policy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm 48 pay $27.60/month with State Farm. That's full coverage as I'm financing the bike. I also have a truck and boat insured by them as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will do some checking around I'm in Colorado which should be middle of the road for rates I would think. Its ridiculous what they want for safe riders in their 50s. Thanks for the input If I find out anything I will post.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I switched from Progressive to Nationwide when I bought my N1K. IIRC, Progressive wanted somewhere around $1500/yr, full coverage, 50-something female, spotless driver record AND RiderCoach. I think Nationwide had come in around $500, with a $1000 deductable, and then dropped to $350-ish after the first year. I elected to drop my deductible to $500, and I think my last bill for that bike was $438. I'm in the Missouri Ozarks.

I will add that Nationwide truly was "on my side" when I totaled my bike. The adjuster who got stuck with dealing with me and all my farkles was AWESOME!!! He got me enough out of my N1K to pay off the loan and buy a 2017 NINJA 300 KRT outright. And the adjuster who dealt with the personal injury side of the other party (the crash was deemed my fault) didn't let their ambulance-chaser attorney push her around. They wanted an ungodly amount of money which would have been over my limits. It was completely crazy, given that it was an N1K vs a Honda Pilot, for crying out loud! Good grief, I high-sided and ended up with two small bruises, a stiff neck (Thanks Arai and Motoport!), and a totaled bike. There's NO WAY they were hurt that bad!!! Well, she got them down to well within my limits, paying their expenses and a little bit for their "pain and suffering". The point here is that when choosing an insurance company, there's more than just the premium amount to consider. My N300 is insured with Nationwide, and I expect to be a customer for good.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I pay about $340/year with Dairyland for my 2015. I was looking at upgrading to a 2018. DL rates went up to over $1200/year for me. They recoded this bike after 2015 so the rates went sky-high. I called around and the best I could find was with Nationwide. It only doubled to around $600.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a 2018...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try nationwide and see but I am concerned once I get it what's to stop them from being insanely expensive as well. Allstate 1200 fairyland 1500 progressive 1000 geico 1400 so far

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will try nationwide and see but I am concerned once I get it what's to stop them from being insanely expensive as well. Allstate 1200 fairyland 1500 progressive 1000 geico 1400 so far
That's insane and has me greatly concerned about my plans to buy the 2020 next year.

Are there any issues specific to you that may explain those rates, e.g. driving record with tickets and/or accidents, short experience in riding motorcycles, low credit score, past claims on insurance, etc...any of the typical things insurance companies point to in order to hike rates on one person vs another?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree with RC. The N1k insurance rates are higher than other bikes in its class. In some cases it's at or near liter class sportbike level insurance depending on the insurance company, bike owner, and geographic location. If you want to be sure, why not just call your insurance company and get a quote? Then you'll have a real number. Because everyone's record and their geographic area is different.

Unfortunately, there really are not many alternatives in the market that lives where the N1k lives. There used to be the Honda VFR800 but that dud has been discontinued in the US because they are slow and heavy. Suzuki has the GSXS1000f (fully faired). It's ugly as hell though but at least it is VERY fast. I'm sure Yamaha's Tracer 900 insurance is super low too because nobody wants to buy such an ugly-*** bike that looks like the ******* child of the FZ1 and the FZ6. It hurts my eyes just to look at it. So nobody ever gets the chance to crash a Tracer nor steal one. The Ninja 1000 is just so bad ***, and everyone who rides it can't help but ride it like they stole it because it looks like an F22 just sitting there and it feels like it. So it developed the reputation for being a bad boy and the insurance rates went up. Go figure. Who wants to be seen riding a Tracer or a GSXS1000f.....

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree with RC. Who wants to be seen riding a Tracer or a GSXS1000f.....
To each his own. I buy a bike for the way it performs it's intended use, looks are way down at the bottom of the list because I am riding it, not staring at it, posing with it, or worried what someone else thinks.

I have two bikes and love them both, but if I had to get rid of one of them the Ninja would be gone. My other bike...…..and I don't care one bit who sees me on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Who wants to be seen riding a Tracer or a GSXS1000f.....

A few years ago I had the opportunity to work Suzuki Demo Days. Suzuki requires two RiderCoaches for lead and sweep, and I got a slot! I had never ridden a liter bike before so I rode every one they had and LOVED it!!! Although the 'Busa cornered like nothing I had ever ridden before, I could only handle riding it a couple times each day, at roughly 20 minutes per ride, because of a bum shoulder. The bike that I liked best was the GSXS1000F. It was fast and handled great--they all did--, but the biggest reason is because it actually fit me! (5'2" in boots, 28" inseam). Honestly, it's the bike I should've bought. But I LOVE green NINJAs and I had been drooling over those green sidebags for a couple years. Although I miss the instant power of my N1K and all the bike capabilities that go along with it, I'm having an absolute ball on my N300! It's pretty much a Mini-Me of my N1K but it fits me so much better. Sure, I'm not as fast in the straights, but I can carry the same speed in the twisties that I could on my N1K, and that's where the REAL fun is!!! I dunno, maybe one of these days I'll pick up a used S1000F, have my graphics shop-owning riding buddies wrap it in NINJA green for me, and then just have it to tear up twisties when I don't have to worry about hauling anything.

Attachments

Reactions: rcannon409 and RobF

·
Registered
601 Posts
To each his own. I buy a bike for the way it performs it's intended use, looks are way down at the bottom of the list because I am riding it, not staring at it, posing with it, or worried what someone else thinks.

I have two bikes and love them both, but if I had to get rid of one of them the Ninja would be gone. My other bike...…..and I don't care one bit who sees me on it.
JM101, you do know I was trying to be funny. Didn't mean to offend. I owned a Busa for 6 years so I got my fair share of ugly comments (but offset with lots of Hayabusa-Fans too).

But like you said, to each his own. Looks are important to me, and I don't care what others think as long as I love the bike's looks AND performance. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having said that if the bike is beautiful but its performance sucks, I don't want it either. It's as much a passion to me as it is a lifestyle.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A few years ago I had the opportunity to work Suzuki Demo Days. Suzuki requires two RiderCoaches for lead and sweep, and I got a slot! I had never ridden a liter bike before so I rode every one they had and LOVED it!!! Although the 'Busa cornered like nothing I had ever ridden before, I could only handle riding it a couple times each day, at roughly 20 minutes per ride, because of a bum shoulder. The bike that I liked best was the GSXS1000F.
I test rode the GSXS1000f. Loved everything about it except the looks...mainly the front end looked too much like a scooter. It looks less ugly in dark colors, horrible in white. It was fast as hell. Handled better than the N1k too. Had better brakes. If I conjured up a GSXR1000 with a comfortable riding position, it would be a GSXS1000f. Suzuki got that part 100% right. I would have bought this bike too but I just couldn't live with its looks because I'm shallow as hell. Put the Suzuki and the N1k side by side, I would buy the N1k on looks alone. But the N1k is indeed a better long distance bike than the GSXS1000f by a small margin, which gets larger if you want hard bags. If the riding is mostly going to be commuting and sport riding with 1 maybe 2 long distance rides of short durations a year, the GSXS1000f would be a better choice in my opinion.

I also test rode the Ninja 400 and loved that bike! It was comfortable, refined, fast enough, light and flickable, and I liked the engine's exhaust note. I would buy this bike as a commuter/canyon carver. I almost did actually. But I couldn't get the trade in value I wanted for my Suzuki DR650 so I passed. Maybe next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts