Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hope the TFT instrument panel works better for you guys riding 2020+ 1000SX. I have to put up with this crap on my '18. :sneaky: Late afternoon commute home is especially bad.

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
460 Posts
So far my 2020 has been crystal clear. I had a 2006 ZX-14 that faded once when it sat with direct Arizona summer sun for about 4 hours. Still it wasn't that bad! That is really ugly.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
147 Posts
I think he's talking about sun glare--I don't get any on my 1000SX TFT display.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The TFT is mint and you can switch between light and dark modes with a single button - Can set the brightness but need to go to a sub menu for that - I ahve had many people in group rides pull up beside me and look over and tell me they love the TFT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried a screen protector? Some are supposed to help reduce glare. Looks like they are available for the 2018.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What I despise are the LCD displays.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Much as I would love an analog tach, the TFT on the '20+ models is pretty damn good. Haven't had any glare issues and outside of the known clock-reset issue, it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm probably a bit spoiled by the Street Triple R sitting next to the N1k. It's TFT screen can be easily tilted to get rid of reflections like this, although ironically I don't remember having to tilt it to get rid of reflection issues. Little refinements like that can have a big impact on how the bike works for the rider. N1k's reverse LCD doesn't help with visibility either.

Have you tried a screen protector? Some are supposed to help reduce glare. Looks like they are available for the 2018.
I never thought of that. I just looked up a few on ebay and some of them actually do mention anti-glare specifically. Although how much of that is just wishful advertising is hard to tell. Usually the matte finish type anti-glare do need the backlit display to be very close to the film to see through clearly, the N1k's LCD doesn't look anywhere close to most phones and tablets in that regard. Might be worth $12 just to see if it helps. Thanks for the idea.

For now, I've got the Koso speedo, so I can at least get mph with a quick glance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts