Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all the experts.

I've done a few searches but haven't found anything so far on this topic.

But I'm a noob so it could be that.

So, I have a 2018. The one thing that annoys me a bit is the instrumentation, as in strong sunlight it's a bit hard to read.

Do options exist for brighter and/Or differently coloured lights to enhance visibility?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's LED instrument panel. The light comes from the LED display not necessarily from a "light bulb" illuminating the gauges. The only option is to paint the lower part of the windshield black to keep the gauges under a shade most of the time. Or somehow put the H2 SX TFT display (I don't think that's ever been done by anyone but theoretically it's possible).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Electronic instrument panels (including the Ninja 1000's) are setup to communicate with their native ECU. As such, they are not interchangeable.

In the video below, a guy summarizes why the H2SX panel is not working on his N1K:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know what some of you guys will think of this, but like I did with my 650 Ninja, I hated how sunlight made the screen so hard to see, so got some flat black spray paint and sprayed the inside of the windscreen. It looks professional due to how the paint disperses over the surface so smoothly, and it also makes the silver Ninja logo jump out against the black and looks pretty cool. For myself, it's not been an issue in terms of seeing what's ahead either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi all the experts.

I've done a few searches but haven't found anything so far on this topic.

But I'm a noob so it could be that.

So, I have a 2018. The one thing that annoys me a bit is the instrumentation, as in strong sunlight it's a bit hard to read.

Do options exist for brighter and/Or differently coloured lights to enhance visibility?

Thank you all.
I have a 2017 and feel your pain on this. If there was an easy fix I’d do it, but as is I just glance down if I want info and if conditions are favorable I get the info, and if not I check later. It’s not ideal, but I love this bike so much otherwise I don’t really worry about it. I put a dark-smoked windshield on mine and maybe it helps a little, but not much if so.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
757 Posts
I also feel your pain. After several Hondas with LCD screens clear back into the 90's that I never once remember having an issue reading, the Ninja series (2011, 2014, 2017) displays really suck under a few different lighting conditions. The gloss finish on the display cover is way too reflective (Honda's all had a flat dull finish) and the display itself is too dim. A tinted windscreen will help. Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is to put a dark sock over the oil reservoir. With front sun, I was getting a bright white reflection of the reservoir in the middle of the display. You can get elastic bands for that purpose because it also helps preserve the plastic used in the reservoir which tends to deteriorate from sunlight.
You could take RC's advice and just ignore the display. But I'm pretty sure he's the guy who once posted a picture of his hundred + speeding tickets and putting two and two together... :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
But I'm pretty sure he's the guy who once posted a picture of his hundred + speeding tickets and putting two and two together... :)
It's far from perfect but I find I look at my GPS more than my gauges. I trust it more than my speedo when I need to watch my speed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
But I'm pretty sure he's the guy who once posted a picture of his hundred + speeding tickets and putting two and two together... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
It's far from perfect but I find I look at my GPS more than my gauges. I trust it more than my speedo when I need to watch my speed.
Since I went to a 190/55 rear tire and the 16t sprocket my speedo is nearly accurate with the gps. Enough so that I don't worry with a gps unless I need directions.

Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Registered
757 Posts
In Non-ABS Ninjas, swapping to a 16T front sprocket puts the speedometer spot on. Adding a 190/55 rear tire actually makes the speedometer read a tad (3%) low. The speedometer normally reads about 6% high.

With the ABS bikes, changing the gearing doesn't affect the speedometer. The speed is read off the ABS sensor ring. Changing to a 190/55 rear tire brings the speedometer closer to true (within about 2 mph according to my 2014 GPS vs speedo).
On 2017-2019 bikes you can't change the front sprocket to 16T without screwing up the KTRAC system. :(

·
Registered
757 Posts
In Non-ABS Ninjas, swapping to a 16T front sprocket puts the speedometer spot on. Adding a 190/55 rear tire actually makes the speedometer read a tad (3%) low. The speedometer normally reads about 6% high.
With the ABS bikes, changing the gearing doesn't affect the speedometer. The speed is read off the ABS sensor ring. Changing to a 190/55 rear tire brings the speedometer closer to true (within about 2 mph according to my 2014 GPS vs speedo).
On 2017-2019 bikes you can't change the front sprocket to 16T without screwing up the KTRAC system. :(

Sorry, I hate putting out erroneous data. Thanks for the correction.

Let me rephrase: 2014 and up bikes all had ABS and the speed sensor is off the ABS sensor ring. And, BTW, since to correct the speedometer you'd have to cut into the ABS sensor line, Yellowbox and SpeedoDRD won't touch it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Amidst the grumblings about less than stellar daytime readability, allow me to commend this display's nighttime performance. It has no glare, and adequate contrast. I give it a thumbs up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Amidst the grumblings about less than stellar daytime readability, allow me to commend this display's nighttime performance. It has no glare, and adequate contrast. I give it a thumbs up.
Overall I give my Ninja 1000 two thumbs up! Love this bike! Just thought I’d throw that in there. :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with the instrument panel, so far working to fix this. The way to fix this problem you have to change the display to positive, the way to do this is to change the polarized film on the display. I also paint the tachometer needle. Still waiting for the new film to arrive.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ricardo, now that is taking it to the next level!

Are you able to put eyes on the LEDs which backlight that panel? If I went the positive display route having a red (or green) backlight would make it even better.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Ricardo, on the z1000 forum, one member knew someone like you who was able to tear apart and rebuild instruments.

The older, first gen bikes had no gear indicator, or shift light. This guy was able to add a gear display, and shift light . It was probably 3/8" tall. Maybe slightly larger, but it was cool as can be. The shift light was similar. When he was done, it looked like kawasaki had built it. Is this something you would be able to do?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts