Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 16t OEM sprocket is on its way and I have a few questions about the swap that I'm hoping you guys can help with!
- What's so special about the washer and why are you talking about bending it? (I've turned wrenches on cars, but never on a bike.. A bending washer is foreign to me)
- What is the torque spec for the nut?
- Is locktite red suggested?

Thanks!

---------------------------
id recommend if u feel u gotta use locktite, use blue. Red is considered permanent.
There is however no need. The washer ensures it will stay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
---------------------------
id recommend if u feel u gotta use locktite, use blue. Red is considered permanent.
There is however no need. The washer ensures it will stay.

Too late! :) I actually did the swap this afternoon! That's good info for posterity sake.

Just for those considering the swap, it was a very easy swap...
I took off the fairing to do some other work, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Here's a quick rundown of the process:
- Pop the four sprocket cover bolts off, save the two sleeves on the rightmost bolts
- flatten the bent washer with a screwdriver and a hammer
- have someone step on the rear brake
- remove the nut! I used a 3/4 drive air impact gun and a 27mm socket (both Ingersoll Rand)... A few seconds later the nut was off!
- loosen the chain to it's fullest
- slide the old sprocket off
- slide the new sprocket on
- put the washer on!
- finger tighten the nut
- tighten the chain
- have someone hold the rear brake
- tighten the nut to 94ftlbs
- bend the washer over one of the flat sides of the nut (use a spot not previously bent)
- put the cover back on (remember the sleeves!)
Go ride!

( I haven't gotten to check out the difference yet, but I'll get it fully back together soon!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did mine last week, 16T on the front. Nice difference going through the gears. Checked speedo with GPS on iphone 5S its its now almost perfect. Speedo used to read a little higher.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did mine last week, 16T on the front. Nice difference going through the gears. Checked speedo with GPS on iphone 5S its its now almost perfect. Speedo used to read a little higher.
Speed is measured off the rear ABS sensor through the ECU, that's also how they have the speed limiter set at 146MPH. Gear changes will not effect the speedo, changing the circumference of your tire will have a small effect.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Speed is measured off the rear ABS sensor through the ECU, that's also how they have the speed limiter set at 146MPH. Gear changes will not effect the speedo, changing the circumference of your tire will have a small effect.
This wasn't the case for the previous gen N1K/Z1000, just so there's no confusion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This wasn't the case for the previous gen N1K/Z1000, just so there's no confusion.
Pete,

After further review of the 13 model year your correct, speed sensor is read of the drive shaft. I took for granted they read like my Honda's. Thanks for making me do some research regarding the above.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
146 seams very slow for a liter bike... I wonder if the limiter can be removed ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mines a 2012. I tested before and after the sprocket change on a straight flat bit of highway. Before the change the speedo would read 100 km/h and the gps would read between 97 and 98. After the change it read exactly the same.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Excuse the ignorance...

JT is a solid brand for the 16T sprocket?
How about Sunstar or Race-driven?

What is the difference between 520 and 525 conversion? Pitch is distance between teeth?

This is for a 2011.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just going 16T on front will lessen rpms at 6th gear cruising speed?
Your instinct to find "7th" gear will decrease?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just going 16T on front will lessen rpms at 6th gear cruising speed?
Your instinct to find "7th" gear will decrease?
Yes, for the 2011-13 Ninja 1000 with stock gearing, 6th gear 5000 RPM results in a speed of 72 MPH. With a 16T front sprocket, that becomes 77 MPH.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
you would run into chain length problems by trying get that ratio with only 1 sproket change. 1 on the front is equal to 3 on the back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What are the dynamics of 16T up front and then going down in the back?
It's a simple multiplication. Stock gearing is 15/41. Take the speed you're doing at a given RPM, and for the front at 16T you would multiply that speed by 16/15. Likewise for the rear, if you go down a tooth to 40T, you would further multiply by 41/40.

So in the example I gave in a previous reply, stock gearing at 5000 RPM results in 72 MPH, and with 16/40 gearing you would instead be at 16/15 * 41/40 * 72 MPH = 79 MPH.

There are spreadsheets (and websites) around which allow you to look at how specific gearing and tire profiles affect speed vs rpm. I have one tailored for the 2011-13 Ninja. If you want a copy then just PM me your email address.

Reactions: Clint1975

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thank you

I'm going with 16T up front and call it a day.

"It was my understanding there would be no math during the debates..."
-Saturday Night Live, Chevy Chase playing President Ford

·
Registered
87 Posts
difference between 525 and 520 is chain width..pitch on both is the same 5/8 inch, hence 5**

41 - 60 of 62 Posts