Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
West, its the same pieces as the zx 10 ,although your on your own for length.

You'll only save weight if you go to an aluminum rear sprocket. Doing that will save about 1.5 lbs. 520 vs stock 525.

If you go steel rear 525 vs steel 520, you save less thna 1lb.

·
Registered
148 Posts
15t to 16 t sprocket change N1K

Changed mines also....... Nut was no Biggie 27mm and breaker bar
here is a link to the video doing it... Hope it helps. Great Improvement mod!!
Video dosent show the nut removal process. No Camera man. But I explain how I did it.

http://youtu.be/SnUV81KugbA

·
Registered
148 Posts
Been riding around for a few days now. I like the Change in Performance. Go with the 16 tooth. Highly reccomended. And Please....... No Shops. Feel your bike.... Turn a Wrench!!. Please watch the video ------> http://youtu.be/SnUV81KugbA

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got it installed today. I would normally do the work myself, but have not bought a rear stand yet. Took 30 minutes at the local shop. This mod is an absolute must. Dropped about 600rpm in 6th gear, and every other gear feels usable now. Acceleration is just as strong as far as I am concerned. $65 for the part plus install is a no brainer. Do it :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Doing mine as we speak. Impact wrench at 130 psi ain't cuttin it. Any chance those threads are reversed? Lefty loosey ain't workin.
Please watch my Video Above for taking off nut. Its actually not that tight. Right Tight , Left loose is correct. Not reversed threads. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The video is great help. Thanks. Looks like I need more leverage. Longer cheater pipe will be next attempt. This is the first time I've had this bike apart..tires, etc.....probably being overly cautious.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a cordless impact gun & it spun right off. Are you applying the rear brake when loosening it?
Yes. I'll get it today. I thought it would be easier if done right, but once it wasn't I ran outta time. I had a spare 20 minutes so I dug into it. I have more time today so I'll get it. Hubris. Never a good thing on a bike or in the shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update:

100 miles or so later. All's well. Works as advertised.

I enlisted a helper to hold the rear, and front, brakes and put weight on the rear seat. I used a four foot cheater pipe over my shoulder and pushed up with my legs before the pipe started to bend and finally....the nut broke loose. My socket was pressure welded to the nut and had to be put in a vise and hammered off. It was lifting the bike off the rear stand so we had to use the front brake too..didn't have the pit bull on the front.

Always feels better to turn a wrench than an air gun. Done.

Thanks again for the vid Maximus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 16t OEM sprocket is on its way and I have a few questions about the swap that I'm hoping you guys can help with!
- What's so special about the washer and why are you talking about bending it? (I've turned wrenches on cars, but never on a bike.. A bending washer is foreign to me)
- What is the torque spec for the nut?
- Is locktite red suggested?

Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The washer is installed to bend a tab over the nut to ensure it doesn't come loose which would be a disaster. Yes to the loctite. I put mine on with cordless impact gun as tight as I could but the service manual said 94 ft/lbs of torque which was more than the range of my 3/8" drive torque wrench.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts