Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Installed Full Akrapovic 4-2-1 Exhaust, Ivan’s Flash, and Sprint Air Filter on 2017 N1000

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  N1K1LE 
#1 ·
I installed the flashed ECU while waiting for the Akra to arrive, so I experienced the flash alone first, then installed the Akra and Sprint filter when they came in. My goals were to drop weight, improve throttle control, and add power and sound. I also swapped out the battery for a Lithium Ion, and swapped out the exhaust hangers for the R&G hanger and blank kit. The “blank” is to finish the side that no longer has a hanger or exhaust can, just FYI. The R&G kit drops some weight as well.

Ivan’s Flash: This may be the best mod for a stock bike? More power, direct throttle control, and disabled fuel cut. The disabled fuel cut alone is probably worth it. Transitioning from throttle off to on is SO much better. More power being available is also noticeable. My perception was that intake roar was increased as well?

Akrapovic Racing Line (Carbon) S-K10R8-ZC: Good deeper louder sound, plus over 21 lbs. lighter than stock exhaust, and it looks better than OEM of course. Oh, I removed the DB killer before installing BTW, so don’t ask how it sounded with it in. I also installed the Sprint P08 air filter at the same time I installed Akra, so I can’t say what difference the filter made by itself, obviously. To my ears, the Akra without DB killer isn’t super loud. It’s just about right, which is only my personal preference, of course.

I’ve been running the 190/55/17 Bridgestone S22 rear tire for a couple years now with no issues. As Ivan warned me, it is an issue with the flash and exhaust. I got a little “spirited” on my ride yesterday, and got a CEL light, and the traction control and the power level control started flashing on the gauge cluster, as Ivan warned. I cleared the CEL and flashing by performing the “Service Code Erasing Procedure” from the shop manual for the Ninja, and then turned traction control off. I will have to swap tire size unless I just leave TC off. We’ll see how this goes.

I did all the installations by myself. Of note though, is I own an Abba Sky Lift. The header portion of the install would have been harder without the Sky Lift. With an extra set of hands or higher skill than I possess, it wouldn’t be necessary at all.

Overall I’m very pleased with these mods so far. The bike is noticeably lighter, more powerful, and sounds better, louder, and more menacing. Throttle control is better as well. If you go TC off with this setup, be ready for wheelies.

See less See more
#2 ·
You mentioned the intake roar. You do hear that more, after the flash.

If you go back to the stock tune, it only ever allows you about 3/4 throttle until you are in the higher gears. No idea if this is a way or protecting the rider, or sound emissions, but once you are allowed full throttle, you get more noise.

The extra power also makes it easier to activate traction control. That's no big deal, but once it activates it recognizes an issue with the wheel speed (larger rear tire) and throws up the CEL.

If it's not an issue, on the stock ecu flash, thats just because the TC isn't as easy to activate once you remove 30% of the bikes power.

#3 ·
Yes, to all of that RC. And, just to be clear, Ivan warned me of the TC issue with the 190/55/17 over the phone when I called him about doing the flash, so I went into this aware that it would likely happen. I’ll probably just ride with the TC off for a while, until I decide if I want to go back to a 50 series tire. Ivan advised that Michelin tires (due to their shape) will give me the quicker lean into turns I am achieving with the 55 series tire.

If anyone is wondering, so far I’m very pleased with the changes to my Ninja? Not that it was a slouch before, but it’s certainly more bad azz now than it was. Having owned the bike for well over two years now, this certainly has spiced it up.

#6 ·
Yes it is. So far I’m very impressed, and would do it over again.

#7 ·
Ivan’s flash seems excellent so far. I would do again if I were given the choice.

#8 ·
Man, that is quite the HP gain N1K1LE! My friend was down at the Gap with his MT-10 a few weeks ago and had his bike tuned and he said it showed a 13hp gain on his after. I'll probably wait until the end of the season and get my 2019 done too. It really helps having people write comments that inform your decisions when you are hearing good things.

#10 ·
Keep in mind though, that those gains were the combo of the flash and full Akrapovic exhaust. Without swapping the Ninja 1000’s headers, you aren’t getting those gains with just a flash. Honestly the flash is still worth it for the derestriction and the throttle response clean/up though.

#9 ·
Rhis bike makes me believe Kawasaki wanted a fairly specific power level from this engine, for this class.

This article shows this idea,fairly well. The z1000 had the same engine as what we have Maybe it's not an accident that they ended up performing to the level they did?

There isn't enough variation to mention here.
Rectangle Slope Font Triangle Plot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.