Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my header has arrived. When I spoke to Ivan he said to use wheel bearing grease on the header gaskets... this seems really weird to me. Why would I do this? If its just to prevent a tear, wouldn't a tiny bit of anti-seize do the trick. I am assuming that a little bit will do it.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Thats a good idea. That joint fits super tight. You are going to find out how and why someone charges 700.00 for a header. It is precision.

Also, the gaskets have been smashed once, already. The grease is sort of like the form-a gasket, and lets the header slip in place easier.

You can buy purpose built sealer, but the grease is how us old people did it before there was a purpose built sealer.

Plus, some of the blue marine grade stuff smells rather good when you fire up the bike.

Also, its helps if you ever need to get them out again.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
If you have old gaskets, they are going to stay in place. Falling out wont happen to the used ones. In fact, I changed mine and learned some new words when trying to remove them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Indeed, I remember installing my first full exhaust system on a 78 Suzuki GS 1000 & was very happy with my work till I looked down in the header area & there was one exhaust gasket laying on ground. Needless to say when I took it all apart it didn't go as smoothly as first go round. I intend to use the grease on my new Akro header to secure the new exhaust gaskets.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha.. so multi choice question and 1 more:

I have these three things available to me:

1) Anti-sieze (the grey not the copper)
2) Red High temp RTV
3) High Temp wheel bearing grease

Which one ?

Also where the tubes meet the collector I saw a youtube where they used Teflon tape on the pipes... fire hazard? think the rtv or the anti-sieze here?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
1 or 3. Teflon tape wont burn . It just sort of dissolves when it gets hot.

RTV is ok, but its ugly whne it squeezes out. Actually, I'll bet ivan would have recommended the anti seize but figured you would not have it on the shelf.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Do not use the Teflon tape !! The pipe gets way too hot even for Teflon and it will melt and makes a mess. Won't hurt anything, just makes a mess. I've seen it used on pipes (cough...Muzzy's... cough) to take up clearance for poorly fitted pipes and it failed.

RTV sealant does a better job at sealing big gaps but is a PITA to take the pipe apart. Also makes a mess and, like rcannon said, simply looks like sh*t.

At pipe junction, wheel bearing grease won't last but 5 minutes before it's oozing down the pipe. At the head, it seems to burn off before it can ooze out provided you don't use too much.

A light smear of anti seize is all you need on a good fitting pipe. It's only purpose to help with future disassembly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Going to put a very small of wheel bearing grease on the manifold gaskets, and a small amount of anti-sieze where tubes go into the collectors.

Thanks for the info guys.. I am glad to not use the red ooze of rtv :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I can't wait to hear how you like the header. What are you going to use for slip ons? Factory?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if you have an iPhone you can get a program called decibel 10th. In my garage with the IPhone above the tank I recorded 99 DB peak free revving to 6500 or so. I took it outside (didn't measure).. The sound is really just more of the same sound just a bit louder and maybe 'more fierce' the engine seams to rev quickly but with no insurance on the bike right now its going to need to wait until spring. I used the oem mufflers.

I will put another post for a how to..

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only purpose of the grease is to hold the gaskets in place while you install the pipe.
.. and .. When the grease burns off it seals the gasket to the head and the header .. no leaks ...
Not so important with copper -0- gaskets but with the old composite compression gaskets a real big help ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts