Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the speedo drive comes from? The reason I ask, is in my case ,because a 16/39 sprocket ratios still gives speedo error of 6% at 100 kph which I believe is normal .In theory the speedo should be 6% under at 100 kph if driven from the transmission with the changed sprockets.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Only way to take care of this is a speedo healer. It is all electronic now. When you go to a /55 rear tire it will help get it closer. The speedo error on this bike is just crazy. Worst I've seen since the 70's other than a few Chinese scooters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The point is Day Trippin that my bike with the changed ratios has the same speedo error as a stock bike,ie. 6% fast ; records 106 kph when actual is 100 kph. I think that is in the ball park error on most bikes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You know I noticed the same thing - I was expecting the magnitude of speedo error to decrease when I changed sprocket to 16T but was surprised that it didn't change. They must be using different input than RPM to come up with the speedometer display. Probably using something off the ABS circuit measuring pulse count off the slotted hub on the front wheel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that in '14, they changed to using the ABS sensors, since it's now standard. A quick way to verify is to disconnect them.
I forget where I read it, but Healtech wanted them to do some other tests so they could make one for the new style. I don't think anything ever came from it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts