Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since my previous post turned into a bit of a bickerfest:) I'll start a fresh one.
Current ride 2005 ZZR1200 with 80K miles
I found a 2017 with @1800 miles, stock with factory bags and grip heaters, for $9600. Original tires so they'd get replaced.
I'd plan to get an Ivan's flash (based on y'alls comments that it provides improved drivability), slip ons or perhaps a full exhaust. Maybe the suspension set up for me, depending on how it feels.
Touring farkles will be the same for both. Need to figure out a top box set up for commuting. Seat, TBD? I have a Corbin on the ZZR that I really like, with an airhawk for slab days. Heated gear connection, aux lighting, GPS, aux power port. Any issues with that kind of electrical load?
Big plus, the '17 is green.
On the 20 I'd at least do a slip on. I'd probably not pay for the hard bags, at least not right away. I've been okay touring with soft bags.
I haven't ridden either. Tough time of year for test rides here in PA
Opinions, especially from those who have owned both.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So, since my previous post turned into a bit of a bickerfest:) I'll start a fresh one.
Current ride 2005 ZZR1200 with 80K miles
I found a 2017 with @1800 miles, stock with factory bags and grip heaters, for $9600. Original tires so they'd get replaced.
I'd plan to get an Ivan's flash (based on y'alls comments that it provides improved drivability), slip ons or perhaps a full exhaust. Maybe the suspension set up for me, depending on how it feels.
Touring farkles will be the same for both. Need to figure out a top box set up for commuting. Seat, TBD? I have a Corbin on the ZZR that I really like, with an airhawk for slab days. Heated gear connection, aux lighting, GPS, aux power port. Any issues with that kind of electrical load?
Big plus, the '17 is green.
On the 20 I'd at least do a slip on. I'd probably not pay for the hard bags, at least not right away. I've been okay touring with soft bags.
I haven't ridden either. Tough time of year for test rides here in PA
Opinions, especially from those who have owned both.
The Corbin on my 2011 Z1000 fit on my 2019 Ninja 1000, so worth checking out.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
107 Posts
I had a 2011 and now a 2020, both with a Sargent seat (same design, fits both). I am very happy with the Sargent--the 2020 OEM had uncomfortable pressure points at the insides of my legs that the Sargent eliminates by sloping the sides and the Sargent also dishes the seat some and raises the front up more to minimize sliding forward into the tank.

No problem running a heated liner and the OEM heated grips on the 2020. I also think it handles better than the 2011--they definitely tweaked the steering geometry. I did get the hard bags and put on the Akrapovic slip on--didn't like the look of the stock can, but it didn't change the sound at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
$9,600 for a 2017??
I agree.

First, any deal that feels good to you is a good deal.

...but I've seen 2017s with factory bags and low mileage listed for as low as $7500 from private party sellers. I would consider $8500 an okay list price, probably a little high, for a 2017 from a private seller. Of course if you need to buy from a dealership, then that probably adds $1K over the private party price.

However, there just aren't a ton of N1Ks floating around the U.S. They seem to be much more popular in the UK, Europe, and India. So if you find one you like in the color you like (and I agree the green is very cool), then....

Any deal that feels good to you is a good deal.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was thinking it might be a bit high. My completely box stock '18 came with 612 miles on the odo & luggage for $8799 in October of '19. The owner's manual was pretty dog-eared, however. Still a deal's in the eye of the beholder.
As for the electrical, the '17-'19 Ninjas have a bit more headroom because they went to LED headlights but all the charging components are the same as before. I haven't measured but it should give you an extra 30-40 watts to play with. Any model will run heated grips and a heated jacket just fine. Mount one of the USB/voltmeter units in the available hole and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The 2020/21 Ninja is a bike that has been refined based on experience of the previous years. It handles better, suspension has been tuned to deliver a better ride, it has a quickshifter... I don’t know if any owner of the 2020/21 series even wants a flash. Maybe, maybe not. What can’t be denied is that it’s a finely honed machine and represents the peak of what can be achieved with the current architecture. Go through the list of electronic aids and comfort-related updates on this model and you will see that the bike is terrific value for the money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That seems like a lot to me too considering I paid $9500 OTD for my 2015 in 2016. There are 18's and 19's brand new on Cycle Trader for $9k, so maybe $10k OTD. A newer year model will be worth more and have better resale value, especially with only 1 owner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought my 2019 for $9600 otd. Had 700 miles, and came with OEM frame sliders and 12V port, which cost $300 total on Kawasaki's website. The price on the '17 is okay considering it comes with $1000 bags. Could be better but I haven't seen any used ones with the bags here.

If you're considering modifying the exhaust id check to see which ones are compatible with the bags. The akrapovic is not.

The 2020 comes with more tech (quickshifter and cruise control, heated grips) than the previous gens. I'd say if paying a few thousand more isn't a big deal, and you're not looking to buy this bike for performance, I'd probably get the 2020.

Not sure if its relevant but id rate the stock N1K at a 8.5/10. With a new exhaust and ECU flash its a 9.5/10. The .5 is my inner speed freak saying a top speed of 160 is slow and I should have got a ZX14 🙃

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. I agree the asking price is high. It's at a dealer so I'd certainly negotiate. I was planning to go check out a new 2020 on Saturday. It sold today....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, a family member of mine sold her 2014 for 9.5k with the OEM bags, top rack and plenty of tasteful aftermarket parts. I guess it really just depends on who is buying. Some people want to build, and some just want to buy built if the parts are tastefully done.

If that was me at the dealer I would get the '17 and have them replace the tire for free or just pay for the labor to mount. I was able to buy under those conditions in the past. Really just depends on who you are talking to. If the new display of the 2020 and slightly wider body work is worth an extra 1-2k, then I would go with the 2020. Bags are a long shot for brand new, but used, you still have to re-key it. It really just depends on what you value and what kind of buyer you are.

I also came from a ZZR1100, ZZR1200, ZZR1400 then the N1K moving to the US so I am used to the needle display and the new display is nice but it isn't extra 2.5k nice. Since you are commuting, you might benefit from the new display TBH. It'll just be a little more money. and who knows what other accessories you put on there! You buy a slip on, and next thing you know you are buying headers because after the reflash you feel that there is potential and it is lacking a full system. 😇

·
Registered
281 Posts
No doubt, go 2020 and up. The refinement of the 2020+ model plus the cruise control alone makes it worth it. As I just mentioned elsewhere, once you go cruise control, you'll never ride w/out it again. As for luggage, get yourself a set of Blaze saddlebags for $350 and save the $$ from the hard bags. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dealers with left over 2020 bikes will take a significant discount sometimes. Last March a dealer in Salem Or listed on Craigslist a 2019 N1K, brand new, for $7995. Had one mile on it. I called and kept asking him what is really wrong with the bike. Gave them my VISA card number over the phone. Covid might have had something also to do with it. Anyway, $4K off the list price. Probably the best deal of my lifetime. Covid may still be a factor in getting a good deal. They delivered the bike to my house for $300. dailylister.com lets you search bikes for all Craigslists in the US.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bob, I've been periodically searching for 2020's. Sounds like you found a great deal. A 20 showed up at a dealer about 40 miles from me two weeks ago. Gone before I could get a look. The closest dealer, about 30 miles, just put a 21 on the floor. If I have time I might check it out this weekend. I haven't tried dailylister. At this point I'll keep window shopping. Waiting a bit to see how "things" play out in the economy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks Bob, I've been periodically searching for 2020's. Sounds like you found a great deal. A 20 showed up at a dealer about 40 miles from me two weeks ago. Gone before I could get a look. The closest dealer, about 30 miles, just put a 21 on the floor. If I have time I might check it out this weekend. I haven't tried dailylister. At this point I'll keep window shopping. Waiting a bit to see how "things" play out in the economy.
sounds good, ya, you can get any bike shipped from anywhere in the US for about $500 I think. This is a good website too: https://www.cycletrader.com/motorcycles-for-sale

1 - 17 of 17 Posts