Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Disc lock does not work with dirt bikes unless it has a vibration alarm. I was riding out of state and stayed overnight in a hotel. I backed my truck up with bike in the back right up to side of building. A person could not fit between truck and building. I was only 4 spaces from front door. I had cars parked on both sides of me when I went to bed, Woke up next morning to go riding at 7 am and my bike was gone(KTM 450 XCF). I called police and police said the only way they could have gotten that bike out was with a boom truck. Lifting the bike over the roof of my truck. Cars on both sides were too tight to fit a bike between. My truck or cars had not 1 scratch. I think the guy at the front desk had something to do with it. How could he not see it happen 4 spots from front door. Moral of the story if had an lock on the disk bike it would still be gone. If I had a lock with vibration alarm, I might still have that bike.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I done did it again, y’all. Disc lock is now in the trash.

Luckily there was quite a few salvage parts on eBay for this incident.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
This sucks....If the rotor is damaged, . You can use the round disc from a zx14, or normal zx14 wave rotor if you want. It sounds like you found one?

I have several round, zx14 rotors if you want one. No charge. I have no use for it. Send me a pm and I'll get it out today.

I'm thankful for ebay, too. This would have been $$$ if you had to buy new.

If you ordered this rear pad, you can make this an upgrade.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This sucks....If the rotor is damaged, . You can use the round disc from a zx14, or normal zx14 wave rotor if you want. It sounds like you found one?

I have several round, zx14 rotors if you want one. No charge. I have no use for it. Send me a pm and I'll get it out today.

I'm thankful for ebay, too. This would have been $$$ if you had to buy new.

If you ordered this rear pad, you can make this an upgrade.

I had just under 400 miles on those exact pads when this happened. I'm giving them an acetone and fire bath and then a sanding to hopefully revive them.

I might hit you up for a rotor. They're not damaged, but will also undergone a soaker hose of brake cleaner and fire.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Please let me know if you do. It's just sitting here. I bought a round, brembo rear. I also have stock, and one more round...why? I dont know. I just do. This stock one is so over built, the brembo is a full pound lighter. I never used this one. It looks like the previous owner used ebc pads, but crashed the bike before the rear rotor was damaged. I'll clean it before I send it.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
RC, I'll take a pair of front brembo rotor's please, for my 2018. :)

On a disc lock related story... I was with a buddy in the middle of a trip in Revelstoke, BC when we got ready to depart the next morning. That buddy (far right) realize he'd lost his disc lock key. Searched everywhere and no key. While we were trying to figure out what to do a couple guys came out of the room next to ours. We explained the problem, they took a look and said "No problem." Turned out they were railroad workers. They fired up the cutting wheel and in 30 seconds the lock was on the ground in pieces. "Like butta" The only hard part was NOT cutting into the disc or wheel they said.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
64 Posts
I was once in a similar situation a number of years ago.
Stayed over night at a small country pub and after a great night of copious alcohol consumption woke up the next morning and couldn't remember where I'd put the key for the disc-lock which was on the front brake. And in my very hungover state couldn't find the bl..dy key.
Fortunately the barman was there preparing to open up for the day and quickly ducked home and got his small angle grinder.
It had a metal cutting disc on it and took all of about 20 seconds to cut through the disc-lock.
I made a slight slip and put a small notch in the disc brake, but fortunately it was outside the pad area so didn't effect anything.
Naturally found the key, well hidden in a side pocket of my travel bag, when I got home.
Have never used a disc-lock since.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts