Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember to take it off before you get on the bike.

First it breaks your wheel speed ABS sensor. Then it bends the curly-Q little wire that holds the sensor wire in place.

Then in shears a little retaining clip that’s welded to the swing arm to hold your rear brake line away from the spinny parts of your wheel. The sheared clip then puts a gouge in your rear brake hose that is questionable.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
392 Posts
Sorry about this man. What about those long cords that can extend to the handlebars to remind you that it's there?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Damn.....can only imagine your frustration. Sorry this happened.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about this man. What about those long cords that can extend to the handlebars to remind you that it's there?
I don’t need one of those...

famous last words uttered 5 years ago when I bought the lock and promptly threw the cord out.

I’m just happy I found a wheel speed sensor for $15 on eBay that will ship within a week. Really screwed up my four day weekend plans when I couldn’t even get out of my parking spot. Hopefully Ican bend some retaining clips back into serviceable shape, those are out of stock and back ordered on all parts websites.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This happens too often....there has to be a better way?
I dunno, there was this neon phone cord looking thing in the package but I tossed it...

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
392 Posts
It was about 24 years ago and I was at the Motorcycle show. I do my best to be friendly to those around me unless they give me reasons not to be otherwise. Anyway, saw a group of guys that went by me and so I said hello and got complete ice from them in the parking lot. One of the dudes gets on his bike and revs it a few times to get attention and lets out the clutch. Sure enough, forgot he had the front disc lock causing him to go down. I feel bad for deriving some pleasure from seeing that happen.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Tell me abought it,,!!

Had to remove a disk lock off the rear wheel this season when the key would not work,,. The disk lock did not put up much of a fight but as it turned out I managed to shock the rear sensor into not working,,. The part took 6 weeks from Japan, Kawi Canada did not have a part in the entire country,,. A surprisingly awkward part to change out, which included the removal of the dash, front fairing, heat shield & lifting the tank, then the awkward part starts,,!!

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
included the removal of the dash, front fairing, heat shield & lifting the tank, then the awkward part starts,,!!
looking at the service manual it looks like you only have to lift the gas tank up to get to where the wheel speed sensor plugs into the rest of the electronics.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think you need to remove at least one side fairing panel to get the tank up and allow access to the electronic plugs as well as the dash & heat shield to remove the panel,,. Also feeding the line through is no small task,,!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought a disc lock a couple of weeks back. Have not used it yet cause i am scared i forget it on. Now i am even more nervous about using it...

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get the one with the neon cable next time or get full coverage.
Its all about layers of defense. Calling in my comp insurance is a last resort for when the bike rolls away in the middle of the night. I'll always take steps to make it look unappetizing to thieves and crackheads so I don't have to spend hours on the phone haggling with insurance. Obvious wheel lock, steering wheel locked, bike cover, security camera, and a bunch of +$30k Harleys in the immediate vicinity work pretty well in the last several years with no incidents.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bought a disc lock a couple of weeks back. Have not used it yet cause i am scared i forget it on. Now i am even more nervous about using it...
Just put something on the handlebar to remind you it's there before you move the bike.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use a Gorilla Alarm (Model# 9000)

It has the added benefit of triggering if someone vibrates the bike eg when removing gear.
I've accidentally set it off in the morning on a trip while loading my side cases when I forget to disarm it.

The only downside I've found is (while in standby mode) it will drain your battery (faster), so don't leave the bike sitting for 2 weeks without connecting to a trickle charger or at least checking your battery voltage; my battery is getting long in the tooth so that doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Another benefit of a bright ribbon from lock to handlebar is that it alerts would be thieves that the bike is locked in some way and make them much more likely pass on your bike if it's impedes an easy steal in any way. According to my cop buddies, a pro that wants your bike will get it no matter what you do but they account for a very small percentage of bike thefts. The typical thief is someone high or drunk or desperate to get high or drunk and working in the dark. If they grab your bike and try to push it away they do the damage the lock does and likely tip the bike on it's side. Anything that makes it obvious that the bike is secured in some way typically means they walk on by. Similarly, an alarm will frighten the thief away but you may very well find your bike on it's side when you get to it. It's much better to alert folks before they touch the bike that there are easier pickings elsewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed a Roadlok on my bike ROADLOK International Store the bike wont budge so no worries of breaking anything if you forget to unlock it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts