Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so glad i pulled the trigger and got the Ninja 1000. If i had gotten to test ride it, the choice would've been easier, but went for it and i'm glad i did.
The bike had been sitting for roughly 6 years in a garage so i did the following mandatory things:
-flushed out old gas
-oil change
-replaced old stock tires with Michelin Power RS tires
-cleaned the bike for a nice new shiny look
-checked fuel pump and injectors
-checked fuel tank for rust

Cons so far:
-my heels constantly make contact with the exhaust which is odd but not a big deal
-rear brake doesn't seem to do much at all

The condition of the bike is absolutely flawless. It feels like i'm riding a cadillac.

I am still trying to get familiar with the different power settings. I have never had a bike with traction control (aside from ABS) and different power modes, so i have yet to really 'feel' what it is they do. Also i need to mess with the rear suspension to get it where i like it...haven't quite figured out how that knob works.
I love the extra weight of the bike for long straight stretches of highway. Feels very solid. And maneuverability in the twisties feels natural as well considering the weight. My SV650 feels like a dirtbike compared to this thing.

Anyways, thank you all for the information and im very happy to be a part of this community. Cheers
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
The rear brake is an interesting piece. The stock pads have an extremely low friction rating and the leverage ratio isn't very good.

It also has a lot of play in the pedal and linkage. You have to press it about 3/4" before it does anything. Not a nice set up, to say the least, but it's been 20 years since I rode a stock bike with a decent rear brake.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am so glad i pulled the trigger and got the Ninja 1000.
snip
Good snag! Love the color too. That red is really nice.

rode a stock bike with a decent rear brake.
Indeed. Honestly, the best rear brakes I've used have been on Harleys. But that's offset by the front brake being hot garbage. Give it some time with the Ninja. You'll get used to it. And as rcannon said, new higher friction pads should help too.

Reactions: Darthanubis

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently picked up a 2015 N1000. I like it a lot, and it's great as an around town bike, but reading the reviews, you'd think the thing was as comfortable as an FJR 1300. It is NOT. I have an '03 FJR. It's nowhere close.

If you are considering a Ninja 1000 as a sport tourer based on internet reviews, and you actually plan to do long rides of hundreds of miles, you should try to get one to try out for a few days before pulling the trigger in lieu of a real sport tourer, or trading in your sport tourer. The descriptions of peeling off 500 miles at a time with no soreness and being so comfortable, blah blah blah, all of those are based on comparisons to much less comfortable pure sport bikes, not to actual sport tourers like the FJR and Concourse. I'd say with crotch rocket level comfort being 1, and FJR/Concourse comfort being 9, the N1000 pulls off about a 4. Yes it's way better than a pure sport bike, but you need at least a taller windshield and wider seat to even consider using an N1000 as a sport tourer IMO. Whether a windshield and seat is enough, I'll have to let you know after my windshield arrives and if I ever save up for a better touring seat. I already want a bigger windshield just for around town stuff.

I'd love to have the N1000 engine with me on a trip, but I'm not sure I'll go to the effort of trying to turn it into a competitor of the FJR with the comfort upgrades. For me it's a second bike for fun-time rides and quick commutes, so no need to turn it into an FJR. The near-nakedness of it is a fun aspect of riding I had nearly forgotten about over the years of fully faired bikes. The FJR isn't that far off in performance anyway, for the average rider. Plus my N1000 didn't come with bags, so there's that too...

Anyway, not to impune anyone's choice to use an N1000 as a sport tourer, as it's touted, since everyone's mileage and preferences may vary. I'm just saying this for the sport tourer owners looking to spice up their stable with a little hot rod like I was, and thinking it's maybe usable on trips instead of your current trusted steed.... Take these "it's so comfortable" reviews with a grain of salt.

But get it anyway if you can, cuz it's a blast too.

OP : that red does look great. It made me wonder how much installation would cost if I bought a set of red fairings to turn my black one into red... :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just recently picked up a 2015 N1000. I like it a lot, and it's great as an around town bike, but reading the reviews, you'd think the thing was as comfortable as an FJR 1300. It is NOT. I have an '03 FJR. It's nowhere close.

If you are considering a Ninja 1000 as a sport tourer based on internet reviews, and you actually plan to do long rides of hundreds of miles, you should try to get one to try out for a few days before pulling the trigger in lieu of a real sport tourer, or trading in your sport tourer. The descriptions of peeling off 500 miles at a time with no soreness and being so comfortable, blah blah blah, all of those are based on comparisons to much less comfortable pure sport bikes, not to actual sport tourers like the FJR and Concourse. I'd say with crotch rocket level comfort being 1, and FJR/Concourse comfort being 9, the N1000 pulls off about a 4. Yes it's way better than a pure sport bike, but you need at least a taller windshield and wider seat to even consider using an N1000 as a sport tourer IMO. Whether a windshield and seat is enough, I'll have to let you know after my windshield arrives and if I ever save up for a better touring seat. I already want a bigger windshield just for around town stuff.
I find it interesting when people try to slot bikes into being something they are not - I think the big thing in people doing this with the N1K is the price - If I was getting a true touring bike here in Aus I would be thinking FJR / BMW RT or similar and they are literally double the price plus of the N1K.

Reactions: Oramac and jd47l

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
Would anyone really see a ninja 1000 and an fjr/Concours and think similar or same? I hope not. Either one of them , in comparison, will turn most other bikes into in town bikes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am so glad i pulled the trigger and got the Ninja 1000. If i had gotten to test ride it, the choice would've been easier, but went for it and i'm glad i did.
The bike had been sitting for roughly 6 years in a garage so i did the following mandatory things:
-flushed out old gas
-oil change
-replaced old stock tires with Michelin Power RS tires
-cleaned the bike for a nice new shiny look
-checked fuel pump and injectors
-checked fuel tank for rust

Cons so far:
-my heels constantly make contact with the exhaust which is odd but not a big deal
-rear brake doesn't seem to do much at all

The condition of the bike is absolutely flawless. It feels like i'm riding a cadillac.

I am still trying to get familiar with the different power settings. I have never had a bike with traction control (aside from ABS) and different power modes, so i have yet to really 'feel' what it is they do. Also i need to mess with the rear suspension to get it where i like it...haven't quite figured out how that knob works.
I love the extra weight of the bike for long straight stretches of highway. Feels very solid. And maneuverability in the twisties feels natural as well considering the weight. My SV650 feels like a dirtbike compared to this thing.

Anyways, thank you all for the information and im very happy to be a part of this community. Cheers View attachment 35199
Congratulations and beautiful bike. I love my 2015 and expect to ride it for many years to come.

·
Registered
773 Posts

If you are considering a Ninja 1000 as a sport tourer based on internet reviews, and you actually plan to do long rides of hundreds of miles, you should try to get one to try out for a few days before pulling the trigger in lieu of a real sport tourer, or trading in your sport tourer. The descriptions of peeling off 500 miles at a time with no soreness and being so comfortable, blah blah blah, all of those are based on comparisons to much less comfortable pure sport bikes, not to actual sport tourers like the FJR and Concourse.
I understand your point and the reason we have different bikes for different folks for different reasons, thankfully. Before buying my 2020 I read a bunch of reviews both on older models and the then new 2020. I don't remember any reviews that compared the 1000sx in comfort to the FJR or Connie, but apparently we are not reading the same rags. I did read that the 1000sx favors on the sport side of sport touring (fact), and in my opinion the FJR and Connie favor on the touring side of sport touring. If a person wasn't familiar with an FJR or Connie the comparison wouldn't matter (because they don't know) and for those that are, they already are looking for something a bit more nimble that has to come with trade offs. They just don't make anything that rides like a heavy big bike in a lighter smaller bike! Of course take this from a guy that used to sport tour on a ZX14. The FJR and Connie to me are a bit tubby for anything including the word 'sport'. For those that favor the FJR or Connie for stacking on miles, bless them for their preferred choice that makes them happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts