Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Probably everyone who rides very long has a bee story. Long ago I started carrying packets of bee treatment stuff that a buddy showed me. Little magic packets with a cream filled pad that you wipe on a recent sting and yoohoo!, no more pain. It has an anesthetic pain killer, antibacterial and cleaning agents built in. It's part of all my first aid kits.
<half a dozen bee sting stories deleted for brevity.>
I never thought for a moment that my getting stung while riding was anything new. In fact, it has happened to me on a couple of previous occasions, but it was just one single bee, (and a wasp once which was really nasty!).. What was unusual, for me at least on this particular instance was running into a swarm and getting multiple stings.

I think that maybe I will look for something like what you have to carry with me for future encounters with those little bastards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Once while riding in the hills, I came across a massive covering of grasshoppers on the road. Too late to stop...you could hear them crunch under the wheels. Grotesque in the extreme.

Low-flying birds are another hazard, though fortunately all my interactions have just been "close calls".

Then there's the random "squid" on the road, who thinks paying attention to a road's centerline is optional. Ask me how I came to this realization...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rock, that makes sense, doesnt it? Like a vaccine, almost, where your body builds up immunity? If that's the case, and I hate to suggest this. Johnny is a good guy, but we need to keep him safe.

It's probably best to ride through another swarm, with bike shorts, bikini, or small article of clothing. Whatever his choice may be. This was he would be protected, long term.
Late to the party... I know. :rolleyes: It actually depends on the person. I got stung by a swarm of yellow jackets as a child when a group of us disturbed their nest while riding bikes through the woods. Got somewhere between 15-20 stings and just hurt like hell for a few days. Fast forward 40 years and I disturbed a nest while clearing out an overgrown plant bed. Got stung on the arm and the side of my face - both got swollen twice the normal size. Talking to the doctor in the emergency room and told him that I'd been stung plenty of times as a child and was never allergic before. He said in deadpan voice, "You are now." Wrote me a prescription for Epi-pens and warned me that the reaction will get worse with each subsequent sting. He told me to think of it as if I was a cat... In my 47 years I probably should have died a couple of times and I just burned through one more with this bee sting. So I only have maybe 5 more left and the Epi-pens will help keep me from burning through the last ones all at once. So running into bees is one of my biggest fears.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Probably everyone who rides very long has a bee story. Long ago I started carrying packets of bee treatment stuff that a buddy showed me. Little magic packets with a cream filled pad that you wipe on a recent sting and yoohoo!, no more pain. It has an anesthetic pain killer, antibacterial and cleaning agents built in. It's part of all my first aid kits.
<half a dozen bee sting stories deleted for brevity.>
My scariest bee sting event was coming home north on the skyline drive about 4:00 pm. The lead bike rider was stung by a bee. 1st time we learned he was allergic. I am very fortunate to ride with an ER doctor. We raced to the nearest drug store to slide a script under the closing metal cage as it hit the counter, Just as this poor guy was labor breathing the doc stuck him in the leg with an epi pen .
He is not allowed to take a trip with us without show us his pen!
My own story was on the last day on a long weekend down in tazewell va. Riding the “ back of the dragon” . That day riding back at dusk to our rental house a deer jump out in front of me. I was spooked until I made it home 2 days later.
Ride safe guys

21 - 25 of 25 Posts