Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Animals can be a hazard when riding. Deer, dogs, the occasional groundhog etc. But what about insects?

While riding yesterday I ran into a swarm of insects. I was moving along at about 50 mph and coming around a curve when I saw them a split second before I hit them. It was like a ball of them in the air about eight feet in diameter, at approximately head level. They were not too tightly packed together and in the brief moment before impact I could see they were a bit larger than a common honey bee. I could hear them clatter against me and the bike when I hit them and, out of surprise, I rolled out of the throttle. About one or two seconds later they hit back.

Fortunately I always wear full leathers and a full face helmet but this left my neck exposed. The first sting hit me on the right side of my neck and I instinctively slapped at the location of the pain. Then two more hit me on the other side. I grabbed a handful of throttle to try to outrun whatever it was I had pissed off.

Today I have three nickel sized knots on my neck that itch and burn. In all my years of riding, I have never had anything like this occur. Anyone else experience something like this??

I despise insects.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not while riding but I was doing some yard work about 2 weeks ago trimming some ivy that grows at the base of an old stone wall when I disturbed a hive of bees. Before I knew it I was stung about a 8 times.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Where I used to live we had swarms of what everyone referred to as killer bees, and some said they were African bees. If you were standing you could hear them coming. They looked like a black cloud moving slowly across the land surface. I think they are migratory as we only seen them occasionally in the summer for two years and never again. Several years before that I would spot them in the high desert in an area about a hundred miles away while off roading.

If I spotted them in time while on the bike I would pull off and wait till they pasted. If coming around a bend and they were unavoidable I think the best thing is to tuck in and twist the throttle. Most likely if you had stopped you would have been stung many more time than you were. The speed you went through was enough that you only got zapped a few time. They are nasty, and outright dangerous to those allergic.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
that sucks. Good that it turned out okay. I got a monster queen yellow jacket, or some type of ugly hornet, trapped in my riding jacket somehow once. It stung me repeatable in the arm pit while I was riding. I almost crashed. It must have gotten in there while I was riding with my zipper lowered as it was hot.

I pulled off as soon as I could and threw the jacket off and stomped the hell out of the monster bug. I have never seen anything that large before and it had to be inside my jacket. I went to a truck stop and splashed some water on the area, then made a b-line, no pun intended, to a natural foods store I knew of on the way home. I bought some sting cream and took my shirt off outside and rubbed it all over. Must have looked like a lunatic.
Hurt like heck..

Yeah, insects attacks can happen unfortunately. Not always a swarm either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was riding in the mountains one day and needed a pit stop. I pulled off the road and walked down the hill a ways, helmet on, to go pee. Because I had the helmet on, I couldn't see "down there" and was doing my business near some flowering bushes. As I went to zip up, I thought I'd caught myself in the zipper of my pants...ouch! Except that wasn't it. A bee had stung me on the you-know-what. Ouch...ouch...ouch!! Two days later it was still swollen.

Moral of the story: Be sure you can see where you pee, and avoid peeing on flowering bushes if you can't see.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
184 Posts
March - April and September - October seems to be when the hives in the farm fields are most active here. I always get stung at least once, maybe twice in these time periods. Most recently a couple weekends ago. The little stinging turd managed to get under my neck gaitor and down my shirt before stinging. Happy I'm not allergic and the person in my group who IS allergic managed to make it out unscathed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I react to bee stings. This year one shot up to inside my visor, I went cold and in slow motion, pulled over and lifted the visor, off it flew. Near wet myself! Never happened before. Also, I once peed on an electric fence. Won't do it again...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a couple hornets get inside my jacket a month ago while we were riding 2 up. They stung me six or so times before I could stop safely to let my girlfriend off the back she grabbed the hornets through my jacket while I got helmet and gloves off then jacket and shirt stomped the hornets still trapped in the jacket tossed it in the bag and Rhode home. My left arm burned and felt numb but some benadryl and a nap later I felt alright.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow.....some of you had it much worse than I did. I think what hit me was just bees of some sort. I can not imagine how a hornet inside the jacket would feel!!! And getting stung on the end of your junk is horrible!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Doesnt a person become more sensative to these, after you have been bit a few times? I'm not sure what the plan is, but it sounds like you were stung more than once? That cant be good.

An ant bit/stung me, this summer. It hurt, and I had a 2 inch bruise around the area where he got me.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I think it's the other way around. I got attacked by a swarm as a little kid when I was f'cking with a hive and I got stuck multiple times before screaming and jumping into the water. It was upstate by a lake fortunately.

After that I seemed to get over stings pretty quickly with no major swelling or anything. Even when that giant queen hornet mated with my armpit repeatedly (can you blame her?) it hurt for only a few hours and the welts started going down. Then again I dosed the area with some special sting cream.

It's nice out. I'm going to buzz around and see if I can pollinate a local honey :p

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Rock, that makes sense, doesnt it? Like a vaccine, almost, where your body builds up immunity? If that's the case, and I hate to suggest this. Johnny is a good guy, but we need to keep him safe.

It's probably best to ride through another swarm, with bike shorts, bikini, or small article of clothing. Whatever his choice may be. This was he would be protected, long term.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Yes, a spirited ride wearing a bikini through a swarm would inoculate him from further risk, once the suffering subsides.
Although I might want to wear an athletic supporter with a cup under that bikini given how bear's junk got pollinated.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rock, that makes sense, doesnt it? Like a vaccine, almost, where your body builds up immunity? If that's the case, and I hate to suggest this. Johnny is a good guy, but we need to keep him safe.

It's probably best to ride through another swarm, with bike shorts, bikini, or small article of clothing. Whatever his choice may be. This was he would be protected, long term.
If I were to ride partially nude I would repel every living thing in sight. :p

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Probably everyone who rides very long has a bee story. Long ago I started carrying packets of bee treatment stuff that a buddy showed me. Little magic packets with a cream filled pad that you wipe on a recent sting and yoohoo!, no more pain. It has an anesthetic pain killer, antibacterial and cleaning agents built in. It's part of all my first aid kits.
<half a dozen bee sting stories deleted for brevity.>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts