Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just registered. I've been interested in getting a Ninja 1000 for years. I've had every thing imaginable. FZ1, 3 Kawi Voyager XIIs, Concours 14, a couple 1250 Bandits. Over 40 bikes total, never more than 3 at a time tho'. lol Currently have a 650 Vstrom, but looking for something different again. The Ninja is really high on my list. Looking forward to reading up on the forum.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Don't get a Ninja 1000. They're horrible. LMAO!

I've had a bunch of bikes too, mostly super sports and open class bikes. I had a Hayabusa and the ZX11D also. Currently have a VFR800 and the Ninja 1000.

The N1000 kind of reminds me of the Hayabusa and the VFR800 and a naked sportbike all melded into one. It is a very fast bike. Not as fast as the Busa, more like the ZX11D, only with a lot more immediate low and midrange hit. It also handles like a naked sportbike (because it is basically a Z1000 with a fairing). So I'm really, REALLY liking my 2018 model. I like it a whole lot more than my VFR800. I only commute on my VFR800 now because my N1000 functions as my primary sport bike. If you liked your FZ1 and Bandits, you will feel very much at home on the Ninja 1000.

I like my Ninja 1000 so much I'm thinking of replacing my 11 year old VFR800 with an older Ninja 1000....like a 2014-2016 model. Yes it's basically the same bike as what I have. My thinking is I want a general commuter/beater bike and still have as much fun as when I'm riding my 2018. I put a lot of miles on my commuter bikes that's why. I'd also consider a 2012 or newer Z1000 to replace my VFR800. My favorite thing I like about my N1000 are power (low and midrange torque with a nice top end), sleek looks, upright, naked bike ergonomics. In that order.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Plus there are several forum members that have had more than one! I hope to be in that boat also, I can't imagine getting anything else when I were out my 2015. It's got 43,000 Miles on it and it is absolutely perfect. Not one, issue, not one missed shift, still runs like better than new...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sold on the looks, but I'm having doubts about the ergonomics now. Haven't even sat on one yet, but am told it's similar to an FZ1, and at 64, I'm learning many models are no longer realistic options for me. My heart is good, since having bypass surgery a few years ago, but the rest of me is still worn out and creaky! :grin:

·
Registered
601 Posts
The legroom on the N1000 is similar to all naked sport bikes. Not roomy, but not cramped either. This is the only way to do it without losing ground clearance or raising the ride height. Basically like sitting on a dining chair but with your legs slightly elevated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
64's not old enough to skip this one. Ride it, and turn back the hands of time. 🙂

I added lowering pegs, turned around after 2 miles, rode back and had stock ones put back on. Kawasaki put a lot of thought into ergonomics and angles. Ymmv but i recently rode an 1800 mile loop with some heavy touring bikes and was the only one not complaining about my bike.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I added lowering pegs, turned around after 2 miles, rode back and had stock ones put back on. Kawasaki put a lot of thought into ergonomics and angles. Ymmv but i recently rode an 1800 mile loop with some heavy touring bikes and was the only one not complaining about my bike.
Oh if only we were all the same height, weight, arm length, torso length, age, fitness, etc. It would make designing a bike so much easier...
I'm one who lowered the pegs and inch and found it to be easier on the knees. Can't imagine it would be any less comfortable. You did readjust the the shifter and brake lever right? :)
The good news about the Ninja is that the main items (clip-ons, seat, windshield, pegs) haven't changed since the 2011 model so there's aftermarket solutions for most stuff. This forum can give you an good idea of all the stuff that's out there. Lots of homework for you to read here!

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jr_tx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well against my better judgment, I bought an 05 ST1300 with 15k miles. Killer deal that I just couldn't resist, but damn, the bargain addict in me has once again made me detour from what I really wanted (FJR, or Ninja 1k). Maybe next year!! For all you N1K owners, please know that I am ashamed of myself!! lol This is why I've had 40+ bikes. Often, it's merely a longish term test ride, then I'm disappointed/sell it, and move on to the next. Best wishes to all, and ride safe!!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Now dont go and forget your user name and password cause we expect to see you back next year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now dont go and forget your user name and password cause we expect to see you back next year.

I'm back NOW!! lol Hated the ST1300, sold it a couple weeks ago!! So looking for my next ride again. The N1k is still on my list. NW Ohio area....looking for a seller that wants a quick cash deal!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just picked up mine yesterday and it is more than a thought it would be. It's absolutely amazing. I love it. Test ride if possible, but damn I love this bike. It's everything I wanted, and then some. Of course take that with a grain of salt as I've only ridden it about 150 miles so far but I love it!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked up mine yesterday and it is more than a thought it would be. It's absolutely amazing. I love it. Test ride if possible, but damn I love this bike. It's everything I wanted, and then some. Of course take that with a grain of salt as I've only ridden it about 150 miles so far but I love it!!

I see a LOT of older 1k's with very low miles. Makes me wonder why...... But, I have other bikes on my list too, so what ever pops up fairly close at a good price, will be my next "test". In the meantime, I have my trusty WeeStrom.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I get that. I picked up mine with 90 miles on it. 2018. I really can't imagine why someone wouldn't like this bike. It's really incredible. But, there are lots of great bikes out there. I just know that I am happy with my choice, exceeding my expectations in every possible way. Hopefully you have the opportunity to test ride. I didn't ride it until I picked her up on Saturday. Was definitely a little concerned, especially since I was a Ducati dealership.

I really wanted the Supersport S, but it really seems like other than the Quickshifter (DQS) and Ohlins the duc has absolutely nothing on this bike. Especially the power, which is one of the main reasons I stayed with the Ninja. I was so tempted by the SS, and two other Ducs... But I know I made the right choice.

Good luck in your search!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
The N1k is a sport bike first. It will never let you forget it. It's a Z1000 naked sport bike with a fairing.

I'll tell you what the N1k is NOT:
1) It's not a plush touring bike like an ST or Connie.
2) It's not for riding in rallies at under 55 mph and a lot of stopping and going.
3) It's not a calm, quiet, get in touch with your inner soul motorcycle for relaxed cruising along quiet country roads...you can do it on the bike but see how long you last before you exceed the speed limit by at least 20 mph!

In a nutshell, it's a ZX0R-like experience without the ergonomic pain of riding a ZX10R. If you gravitate towards being a hooligan, lean towards being a bit of an outlaw, like going fast, you will love the N1k.

If you want a relaxing riding experience that is fairly sporty, I would say you may be better off with a Z900RS, or Z900 Cafe. Or a Triumph T1200. I also like the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 for #3 above. These bikes are light weight enough, have enough power to be fun, yet have a nice supple ride with an upright riding position with plenty of legroom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get that. I picked up mine with 90 miles on it. 2018. I really can't imagine why someone wouldn't like this bike. It's really incredible. But, there are lots of great bikes out there. I just know that I am happy with my choice, exceeding my expectations in every possible way. Hopefully you have the opportunity to test ride. I didn't ride it until I picked her up on Saturday. Was definitely a little concerned, especially since I was a Ducati dealership.

I really wanted the Supersport S, but it really seems like other than the Quickshifter (DQS) and Ohlins the duc has absolutely nothing on this bike. Especially the power, which is one of the main reasons I stayed with the Ninja. I was so tempted by the SS, and two other Ducs... But I know I made the right choice.

Good luck in your search!!!

I had a SS-S lined up to purchase and the guy backed out. I found the N1K and I’m so glad I did. I think it’s a superior bike.
Plus, this allows me to get a Panigale or a Monster 1200S for a pure toy vs a SS as a compromise. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
The best thing (to me) about the Ninja is that it CAN do whatever the rider want's it to do. I can pop on the luggage and go get groceries or run to the library or head for Alaska or Southern CA with either my ZX-10/Speed Triple hooligan friends or K-1600/FJR buddies. It works pretty well when my Goldwing riding friend wants to do an 800 mile day to Yellowstone. It works pretty well when my hooligan supersport rider friends want to spend the day hitting 200 miles of the twistiest roads around here. I don't do track days but plenty of others on this list do. After a seat and windshield mod this bike does just about everything pretty well. I've had cruisers you couldn't push without getting into deep trouble in a hurry and supersports that after a few hours required a hot tub before I could stand up straight again but this bike gets my old butt down the road at pretty much any speed I choose. It is/was a great commuter as well. It's low enough for me to get a leg over easily and get my feet down. High enough my knees don't complain too much. Light enough I can still push it around. Heavy enough it's stable going down the road. As a one bike (at a time) owner this is the one to have for me.
That said, I realize the name of the forum is Ninja1000 which implies more power! go faster!

Reactions: hawk600rr
1 - 17 of 17 Posts