Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on how to start thinking about sport-touring in his new world? Would you camp any differently now? Would you motel it any differently now?

I'm attempting to plan ahead a bit, but I'm drawing a blank.

???

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe Hotels were deemed essential so you can most likely look into the normal process of booking (you would have to verify that of course).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Arizona has lifted most restrictions and this week will lift all the remaining. When other states do the same that you will travel to it shouldn't be much different. While the wife and I travel through our own state, we have the motels and now restaurants are opening, but we are still packing our lunch on day rides.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
76 Posts
The beauty of touring is its often an individual thing. You're not really interacting with anyone up close. Do your ride, gas up as you normally do, grab to-go food, and the settle down in motel 6 at night. If you're a camping person you can do that, just know that depending on the state you're in, public lands might have closed their developed sites. You can still camp in the bushes in non-developed areas of public land.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just traveled recently.

I just bought food that was easily portable if I needed to ride a bit to find a peaceful place to eat. That was the most inconvenient part. Because I couldn't really have a full meal that required a table if I were going to eat food standing over my bike or on the ground somewhere. Burgers, hotdogs, burritos, or pizza, or anything you can eat with one hand works really well.

Bring a mask. Or, wear your motorcycle balaclava over your nose if you're stepping into a restaurant to order/pick up take out food. Don't eat your food on their doorstep.

I don't camp. So closed campsites didn't affect me. Hotels are open. Just don't ask or don't tell you're not on "essential, work related travel". Some hotel establishments who have owners who have signed on to the Democratic-Party-Economy-Destroying-lock downs may get all preachy or restrictive if you openly said you're traveling for leisure. Example, I made a reservation at a hotel and they required a note from my employer! F**k you stupid Motel Management staff! I canceled and booked a room at an adjacent hotel!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Individuality is the key word here. My main riding buddy is 79 and he's done for at least a year. We can't even go on a day ride where we have lunch somewhere. He said maybe we could go back to camping if we took our own food but he's not taking any chances.
Another guy I ride a lot with doesn't believe it's that serious and can't wait to get back out there. He put 4k miles on his new bike already this spring and is trying to guess when we can get back to southern California again. He's pissed because he has a new grandson and his daughter refuses to let him near it unless he wears a mask. We've already been out on day trips and gotten take-out food. As OCL mentioned, I wear a mask (buddy doesn't) and use it to pick up food and for any outside activity.
I'm kind of in the middle. My favorite way to go is to take something along and find an isolated spot to eat. Our parks are back open for day use and I kind of know every picnic table, park bench, rock by a river, etc. within 200 miles of home.
I think this year is going to be a slow year but not a non-year. Probably not much worse than the fire year a couple years ago for longer trips. Being in the "prime" demographic (70+), having a co-worker who died from C-19, living about 10 miles from the nursing home where dozens of people died have all shaped my thinking on this. The scariest part of all this to me is thought of bringing it home and killing friends and family without ever knowing you had it. Definitely a little different kind of disease than we're use to seeing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I strongly believe that some small habits, if changed, can minimize any exposure.

Wear your gloves when going into any rest rooms, or handling fuel nozzles or door handles for example. Bring your own food is best practice. If you're going to stay at a hotel, wash your hands often and avoid touching your face. Bring extra medical gloves when you're off the bike. Don't talk to people closer than 6 feet apart or go to any open bars.

The great thing about motorcycling is, your habits don't require too much modifications to remain safe from others or others from you. Staying away from crowds should be fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Having been in lock-down now for just on 8 weeks, I've had plenty of time to think about how to approach things once we are released.

This week, it was announced that we can travel to travel to regional towns from June 1, so my riding days are about to begin again. Yippee.

Pity it is the start of our Winter, but I have put together a few 2 ~ 3 day rides within 500kms of my home, that I should be able to do if a couple of sunny days happen.

I gave up sleeping on the ground years ago, so it will be motels or country pubs for me.

I'm not bothering with gloves or face masks at a gas station, but I will have a bottle of hand sanitizer in my tail bag, and I will use it before I put my helmet & gloves back on, after filling up with petrol.

My credit card will go into it's own zip-lock plastic bag and will get disinfected each night at the motel.

Once I get into my motel room, I will wash my hands then (with clean hands) use a spray disinfectant (Glenn-20) on the door knobs, bedside tables, bathroom tap fittings, etc. Basically, anything I am likely to touch with my hands.

Motel room cutlery, plates and cups will get a disinfectant spray, followed by a hot water wash.

The TV remote (an absolute germ factory in any motel room) will go into a clear plastic zip-lock bag.

I am still considering if I will take my own pillow-case, or just use a clean towel over the bed pillows.

After all that, I will go and wash my hands again, while singing "Happy Birthday", twice.

Food will be take-aways, eaten in my now clean room, washed down with a few beverages.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
To me nothing changes if you're not doing overnighters. Other than needing to eat outside, which is no big deal to me.
What I have noticed is until traffic picks up the woodland creatures are going to be more of a nuisance than usual. Two deer were just playing the middle of the road as I came over a rise about two hours ago. I've never seen that this time of year.
Squirrels are everywhere and chipmunks are now running around like they own the place. I've never swerved or hit the brakes more for animals in my life.
Once things are back to "normal" this will subside, so then what changes? To me motorcycling already has inherent social distancing. Sitting in a restaurant may or may not change we'll see. The road side places around here have been swamped with outdoor eating and these are the places I usually gravitate towards anyway.

This too shall pass. Maybe we'll learn a little etiquette in the process. Never was a fan of close talkers and people who yap their *** off at a table anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got back today from a 1700 mile trip to Arkansas. I camped in Eureka Springs and did day trips from there. Most of the stuff in eureka was closed except restaurants with outside dining, but set to reopen I think this weekend. I ate at the Oark cafe for lunch both days and I ate at a Mexican place one night and a seafood place another, cooked over the fire the other. Grocery stores are open and liquor stores are open, wtf else do you need?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sigh, I'm so jealous. Please tell all, post pics...

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I love the note from the employer.....

Dear Express Motel,

Please let OCL sleep in one of your rooms, tonight. He is traveling for a work related issue, I promise, and would never operate a motorcycle, in any way, shape or form that might be considered "fun". In addition, please allow him access to any triple X movies that may be available as long as they are of a "straight" orientation..For example, a film entitled " Big, Black mamma-jammas would be ok. However, a feature titled "Chicks with Dicks" would not be..

Thanks for your cooperation in all matters of mutual concern.

Sincerely,
Ocl's boss

·
Registered
314 Posts
Never was a fan of close talkers and people who yap their *** off at a table anyway.
You don't say! ;)

Seriously I'm with you. I don't mind talking about interesting things. But let me eat first. And don't violate my 24 inches of personal space. For people with bad breath, BO, or bad teeth, it's 3-5 feet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I love the note from the employer.....

Dear Express Motel,

Please let OCL sleep in one of your rooms, tonight. He is traveling for a work related issue, I promise, and would never operate a motorcycle, in any way, shape or form that might be considered "fun". In addition, please allow him access to any triple X movies that may be available as long as they are of a "straight" orientation..For example, a film entitled " Big, Black mamma-jammas would be ok. However, a feature titled "Chicks with Dicks" would not be..

Thanks for your cooperation in all matters of mutual concern.

Sincerely,
Ocl's boss
LMAO! Right?

WTF! I got a room with a view at the hotel right next to that Nazi hotel.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Your wife just called. She wants the hotel to allow only chicks with dick movies. Something about having enough of you and needing you to switch teams. I recomend Rolina has a Cannon, staring you know who 🤗

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ive been able to get out quite a bit this season and still correspond with social distancing, park, restaurant, general facility closures,,. Abought 6000 KM's so far starting with a bit of off road in early March as all this C19 was starting to filter in,,. This for obvious reasons has all been day trips returning home in the evening, I think we have more or less exhausted those options and looking for some longer overnight and multi day trips as things are starting to open up,,.

The one thing I have not been able to get my head around is the overnight stay in a hotel/motel type environment from a C19 precautionary perspective,,. Ive even sent a few messages out to various facilities and I remain unconvinced that they can safely guaranty there procedures,,. The one real problem I see is the procedures surrounding the bedding, pillow cases and so on? I'm OK with everything else as it can be given a going over with a towel and cleaner when you arrive, the bedding presents more of a problem and I find it an obstacle to overnighting in these facilities?

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I have had 3 stays since the rules were put in place. Your question is a good one. It made me laugh because I wondered the same thing. The alternative, sleeping in the cab of my truck, was an option I suppose. Still, the question somehow makes it sound like there is a correct answer. Like 250 people, in my local wal mart is ok, but 253 is too many and dangerous.

I usually stay at Holiday In express. They try. I thought the things they did felt reasonable, but...?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ya they all sound reasonable and are however there is no way of knowing that an asymptomatic C19 carrier was involved with either the laundering or the make of the bed and many motels are notorious for missing a few steps by doing a visual examination's and ignoring changing certain things that appear unused and this is not isolated to the cheap run down places I usually say at, bed spreads have long been considered a sore spot long before C19,,. Maybe they have a solution or procedure to safeguard this bedding issue however I have yet to here a good one,,.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
That's why your comment made me laugh. As I waited to check in, everything you said was going through my mind. Sleeping in the truck felt like a decent decision, but I didnt even know where to park if/when I did. Wal Mart parking lot? Rest stop? Even buying food was sketchy. I hand my credit card to someone who has touched hundreds of credit cards that day. And probably a penis, too. Gas pumps? Atm machines?

I thought about staying in the crap place. It probably had less people staying there?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts