Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, let's say you leave your bike at a good rate of speed. Do you keep your arms and legs close to your body, and roll a lot, or do you keep your arms and legs away from your body centerline, to keep from rolling? Which method may minimize your injuries?
Professional riders must be instructed on how to crash when they leave their motorcycle? They ususally have air vests, so that might make a difference in how they crash also.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My bet is that damn few people are in control of what they do unless they get into a long slide. When I stated roadracing years ago they had a class, nothing like today’s riders schools. They told us to be sure to not try to stand up until we quit sliding.

ooops, I see fireman said the same

·
Registered
655 Posts
My understanding is keep you limbs close to your body and try to stay on your back and slide. You are more likely to sustain injuries when you tumble. However, we all know that is easier said than done and we often have no choice in the matter.

I had a nasty high side at Mid Ohio years ago. I briefly remember losing control and then waking up with an EMT asking me if I knew what day it was. The rider behind me had to tell me what happened. I barely remember hitting the ground.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is keep you limbs close to your body and try to stay on your back and slide. You are more likely to sustain injuries when you tumble. However, we all know that is easier said than done and we often have no choice in the matter.

I had a nasty high side at Mid Ohio years ago. I briefly remember losing control and then waking up with an EMT asking me if I knew what day it was. The rider behind me had to tell me what happened. I barely remember hitting the ground.
did you have an air vest on?

·
Registered
655 Posts
did you have an air vest on?
No air vest, but a good set of full leathers. Ended going to the local ER with a mild concussion and and ankle sprain. They gave me two Vicodin and one of my friends wife who had followed the ambulance took me back to the track where I sat out the rest of the day. She was a nurse and when I told her they gave me two Vicodin she poured me a glass of wine. I was comfortably numb for the rest of the day..🤪

Reactions: ZarNinja1000

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
368 Posts
No air vest, but a good set of full leathers. Ended going to the local ER with a mild concussion and and ankle sprain. They gave me two Vicodin and one of my friends wife who had followed the ambulance took me back to the track where I sat out the rest of the day. She was a nurse and when I told her they gave me two Vicodin she poured me a glass of wine. I was comfortably numb for the rest of the day..🤪
Sounds like there could be more to this story.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I was hit by a hit n run driver it happened so fast I was laying on the ground in pain before I even thought about what to do. Subconciously, I knew not to stand up, but I had flew though the air, hit the ground and stopped sliding before I even thought about what to do. I don't think it's realistic to think you're going to think about all the things you should be doing if it happens to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you crash here in Atlanta, you'd better get out of the road quick, or you will be ran over by something bigger than a bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was hit by a hit n run driver it happened so fast I was laying on the ground in pain before I even thought about what to do. Subconciously, I knew not to stand up, but I had flew though the air, hit the ground and stopped sliding before I even thought about what to do. I don't think it's realistic to think you're going to think about all the things you should be doing if it happens to you.
probably depends on the type of accident. I had a friend whose bike went out from under him on a curve due to oil in the road. I just bought an air bag vest for such a situation. Just received it in the mail. Seems like good quality. Will try it out once temps get above the 30's.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hmm... I’d headline the thread ‘How not to crash’. That discussion would be more fruitful.

Like others have said, you can have a theory on how to tumble/slide in a crash but I seriously doubt there would be any chance of implementing it in the event of a crash.

Reactions: agurudev

·
Registered
2012 Ninja Z1000SX (Green)
34 Posts
I’m not sure you’ll have much chance to decide. I hit a roo at 120kmh one night. I remember seeing the roo, thinking “ah f%*^#”. I don’t remember the impact but I remember being face down sliding along the asphalt with the road surface passing by very quickly a couple of inches from my face. Full face for the win!

I do remember thinking that I should NOT try to stop myself as it would just grind that part away faster. No idea if that was right but it made sense at the time. I also remember thinking to make sure I had stopped sliding before getting up. When I did stop I decided that no matter how much I was hurt I had to get to the edge of the road. I was on a dark interstate at midnight wearing all black. Didn’t want to survive the roo and then get crushed under a semi. In the end I had slid about 120m almost straight down my lane.

Looking at the damage to my gear it was clear that was on my back at some point before spending most of the time on my front. I don’t remember getting a chance to decide about it 😜

I ended up with a graze on my wrist and deep wound on my knee - just a flesh wound. No bones, ligaments etc. good gear paid off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMG_2041.jpg

I went down at 80mph. It was very quick and don't remember coming off, any kind of way, but have put my arm out to stop my fall. Evidence above shows a shattered my humorous.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A plate and 10 screws and bone Graff. My Doctor was able to save the shoulder but was so concerned he had a replacement shoulder in the ER, just incase. Therapy and I was riding again 4 moths later.
I just bought a Hit-Air Air Bag vest. Probably the best investment a motorcyclist could make.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a Hit-Air Air Bag vest. Probably the best investment a motorcyclist could make.
For the original question, if you end up in a roll keep the arms close, tucked into the chest, hands under the chin. Be a pencil. Enjoy the earth-sky-earth-sky experience. Otherwise you're flailing and whipping your limbs into the floor or worse and breaking bits.
I've never considered an air bag vest for street riding, it seems to me like overkill unless I was riding crazy, in which case it's time to slow down. That's what track days are for :)
That said, if I lived somewhere cold I'd probably consider one for spirited rides, I mean, if there's no downside I guess why not. It's just too hot here to wrap up in even more crap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts