Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Puig and put it on bought some black screws for it.

do I need a washer above the screw hole? looks dumb may have to go get some black ones to match.

Also how tight should u allen wrench these? There is give in the wind shield i think on purpose right?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I tightened mine expecting to feel a stopping point, but never did. Instead I notice the rubber pieces were getting squeeze out from under the screw head. So I backed them off and just made sure they were all evenly tightened and the windshield felt relatively firm. When I say relatively firm, I just mean I didn't feel it shift when i pushed on it from different angles.

They don't get that tight from a torque standpoint.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Just snug. if you tighten to where you think you should, you develop cracks around the bolts. I know a guy who busted his screen from over tightening

·
Registered
483 Posts
periodically check them, you are using very little tq on them and sometimes vibration will loosen them.

edit: periodically check everything!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got the Puig and put it on bought some black screws for it.

do I need a washer above the screw hole? looks dumb may have to go get some black ones to match.

Also how tight should u allen wrench these? There is give in the wind shield i think on purpose right?
I used plumbing washers on the outside of the screen and set my drill to 3 (of 15) which is probably "light/firm" when tightening them. I also ordered the below from Amazon but have not needed to use them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYB0AGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not a lot, I thought something of 6-7 Nm

The rubber does the antivibration, so it doesn't come loose.
If you tighten these bolts too much, they well get bad over time.
You have a rubber tube with at the end a thread.
The more you tighten the more the rubber inbetween part, will plie & put pressure.
Too much and you could even tear it appart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts