Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last September I was looking to buy a 2020 N1K. Every dealer in the area didn't have one available, they were all sold out, which wasn't a surprise with COVID driving up demand for bikes and the supply chains and manufacturers being delayed from COVID. So I ordered a 2021 N1K from a dealer in my area and also ordered an Akro full exhaust, frame sliders, USB socket, and heated grips to be installed on the bike before I receive it from the dealer. I ordered the bike in September 2020 and put down a $2,000 deposit for it. I was told I could expect the bike by February, March at the latest. I didn't hear any news from the dealer for quite some time, so about once a month I've been calling for updates and all I've gotten is "We haven't gotten a ship date for it yet, once we have it in the warehouse we'll let you know." Or something to that effect. I've had to initiate contact each time, the sales guy I worked with hasn't proactively reached out to me at all during this time.

He's a young guy and I work in sales too so I've told him that I would appreciate proactive communication, even if it's to say "I don't have any new updates at this time but we haven't forgotten about you and we'll keep you in the loop."

How long should I be patient with them before I look at cancelling the order and buying from somewhere else? Am I being unreasonable? Are dealers everywhere having delays getting 2021 models into their showrooms? What gives?

It's just been a little frustrating as I'm very anxious to get the bike and start riding, I've been waiting for 6 months and I'd like to actually start using it. I live in Wisconsin and the weather is warming up and I don't want to find out at the end of March that I won't be getting the bike until the end of May or something like that.

I bought a 2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 ATV last fall from a dealer and they had a machine in stock, I bought it and picked it up within a few days. Very different experience. I realize that northern powersports dealers are not going to have bikes over the winter, they're just going to have ATV's and snowmobiles, but I don't really know.

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
40 Posts
Hmm. Three dealers within 40 miles of me each have one. I put 20 miles on one yesterday. I did not buy it......yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Three dealers within 40 miles of me each have one. I put 20 miles on one yesterday. I did not buy it......yet.
Where are you located? I think part of it is a Wisconsin, cold weather climate dealer issue as no place I went to in my area had 2021 machines in stock last fall, they all switch to snowmobiles in the winter. But I think it's a little ridiculous that it's March and they still don't know when the bike will arrive.

I looked at a 2021 at a Los Angeles dealer last November.
Damn. I couldn't find anywhere in my area that had a 2021 in stock last fall. Makes me miss living in Cali.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Been down that road way back in 2019. Dealer never followed up with getting me my '19. So I got an '18 on discount from another dealership. But I live in SoCal so plenty of dealers around.

If I were you and I had other dealers to go to, check their stock. If they have what you want, get it. Then put a stop-pay on your deposit check and/or cancel your order with the other dealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been down that road way back in 2019. Dealer never followed up with getting me my '19. So I got an '18 on discount from another dealership. But I live in SoCal so plenty of dealers around.

If I were you and I had other dealers to go to, check their stock. If they have what you want, get it. Then put a stop-pay on your deposit check and/or cancel your order with the other dealership.
I called 2 other dealerships in my area and they have a 2021 model on the floor.

I called the dealership I ordered from today and just aired some of my concerns and frustrations with the process. They said they have it in their system that they will receive the bikes from Kawasaki in March and that they don't have any more details than that. They already have the parts that I ordered at their facility, so when the bike does arrive, they will install them.

I told them I won't cancel my order now, I am a fairly patient person and I'd like to go to them for service in the future. I'm going to wait until the end of March, if the bike hasn't arrived by then I will tell them to cancel my order and I'll use the $2,000 deposit I put down towards the cost of the parts they already have in stock for me, I'm fine with taking the parts that they already have.

I'll update the post once I either get the bike or at the end of the month when I cancel my order and buy from somewhere else. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
40 Posts
Where are you located?
South Central PA. The one I rode has been sitting in the showroom for two months. Two dealers in the Harrisburg show them in their new inventory.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've never ordered a motorcycle from a dealer and never considered it. You typically get a better deal buying off showroom stock. I'd say unless you can get a definitive answer from your dealer, you're better off buying from another dealer that has one in stock. I've done quite a few fly-n-ride or fly-n-drive purchases, and they've all turned out great. The out-of-state dealers I've done business with all turned out to be very courteous and easy to work with, arguably better than some of my local ones - don't know why that should be but that's my experience. Plus the drive or ride home was typically a serendipitous adventure that I would otherwise not have even thought of doing. Right now, plane tickets and hotels are cheap, and Spring weather is upon us. Not a bad option.

FWIW, I have heard from dealers, of the record, that they don't really put much credence on special orders, since most of them end up canceling anyway. This is the case for mass market brands and with models that don't have any options. Higher end boutique brands with lots of options, where custom ordering is more common, is a different story, of course. They typically have the infrastructure set up that provide up to date status on the customer's order throughout the waiting period. BMW Motorrad is good at this. Mini Cooper even more so.

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never ordered a motorcycle from a dealer and never considered it. You typically get a better deal buying off showroom stock. I'd say unless you can get a definitive answer from your dealer, you're better off buying from another dealer that has one in stock. I've done quite a few fly-n-ride or fly-n-drive purchases, and they've all turned out great. The out-of-state dealers I've done business with all turned out to be very courteous and easy to work with, arguably better than some of my local ones - don't know why that should be but that's my experience. Plus the drive or ride home was typically a serendipitous adventure that I would otherwise not have even thought of doing. Right now, plane tickets and hotels are cheap, and Spring weather is upon us. Not a bad option.

FWIW, I have heard from dealers, of the record, that they don't really put much credence on special orders, since most of them end up canceling anyway. This is the case for mass market brands and with models that don't have any options. Higher end boutique brands with lots of options, where custom ordering is more common, is a different story, of course. They typically have the infrastructure set up that provide up to date status on the customer's order throughout the waiting period. BMW Motorrad is good at this. Mini Cooper even more so.
That's good to know, I didn't realize that. The only reason I ordered the bike is because when I looked around in August 2020 for a bike, no one had anything, and I heard from most of the dealers that they don't get more than 1 or 2 N1K's in a year, they're not as popular as the ZX-10R's or ZX-14's. So I thought it was the prudent thing to do, I didn't want to be calling around this spring and find out no one has one and I'd be SOL again. I figured the fact that I put a deposit down showed I'm serious about it as well.

I guess the other 2 big reasons why I ordered it from them is they're cutting me a deal on the labor to install the Akro exhaust and a few other accessories and are going to put it all on before I take delivery of the bike. I also thought it'd be good to buy the machine from them because I'd like to go there to get service in the future, and I know dealers are more amenable to deal with warranty and service issues if you bought the bike from them.

Either way, this has been a learning experience for me so hopefully next time when I buy a bike it'll go more smoothly. I previous bought a bike cash from a friend and then bought a used bike from a dealership back in California.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Understandable. August is not the best time for buying non-stock. Dealer has most likely sold off his planned inventory for the model year already. With some next model year about to be announced and Summer on the way out (especially for you northerners), they probably were not inclined to order any more. Heck, some mfrs have probably already started production on 2021 at that point. But dealer is not gonna say no when a customer is willing to let them hold $2000 cash in their bank account, for however long the customer is willing to wait.

BTW, full exhaust is a bit of work for sure. I did that too when my '18 was brand new. I'm too cheap for Akra, though, and got Lextek instead. When the bike is brand new, everything is clean and exhaust fasteners have not seen heat cycling yet, so everything comes off easily. Almost scarily easy. Also installed a radiator guard at the same time, which is much easier with the exhaust headers removed. I did T-Rex frame sliders at the same time. Fairings removed made all that easier too.

Hope it goes well for you, whatever you decide. 2020+ Ninja 1000 is an excellent machine. Quite a bit better than even my '18. You'll love it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I'm excited. I've had my '06 CBR600RR for 9 years now and I still love it, but it just is not a comfortable bike and not practical for general riding around town or on longer trips. The bike is meant to go fast on a track. I've made it work for years because I love sport bikes but now I'm looking for something that will be more practical but still is a good-looking and handling machine. I've always wanted a 1000cc bike so I don't have to be at 8-10k rpms to be in the power band like I am with my 600.

Once I have the N1K I'm going to ride it as much as possible for my commute and general things around town. I ordered the hard panniers so I can actually store some things on the bike instead of just having a backpack and pillion bag.

·
Premium Member
12,811 Posts
The bike is available from others shops. You can even find them on Cycletrader. Many of the ads there show real, legit bikes.

Theres no reason that an ordered bike needs to cost more than one that's in stock. In fact, you might get a better deal because the dealer knows this bike they are ordering is a guaranteed sale. Your machine might not even see the showroom floor. Sure, old models that have been at a dealer a long time might be discounted, or maybe not. After all, they let a bike get okd as it sat on their showroom floor, right?

The fact that the dealer will not, or cannot get this bike to you is a red flag. If there are bikes in the warehouse, the normal lead time is about 3 days to get it from the warehouse to a dealer. Maybe 7 with covid, or maybe even 14, but not months.

It's also normal for dealers to trade bikes back and forth. This is done all the time, for obvious reasons. It's great to be patient, but they have your money. Make them produce a bike, give the money back, or offer a reason for the delay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well at least there are dealers in your area that have bikes! I live in Newfoundland Canada. There are no N1000’s in my province at all. I can’t even sit on one. I ordered mine in November and they say it “ should” be here in April. None at Kawasaki Canada either. Mine is direct order from Japan, so I’m told anyways lol. I have the only 2021 N1000 ordered in Atlantic Canada. We still have a lot of snow here, so no big deal yet. Hopefully you get your bike soon though!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well at least there are dealers in your area that have bikes! I live in Newfoundland Canada. There are no N1000’s in my province at all. I can’t even sit on one. I ordered mine in November and they say it “ should” be here in April. None at Kawasaki Canada either. Mine is direct order from Japan, so I’m told anyways lol. I have the only 2021 N1000 ordered in Atlantic Canada. We still have a lot of snow here, so no big deal yet. Hopefully you get your bike soon though!!!
Thanks, I hope you're able to get your hands on one too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, I hope you're able to get your hands on one too!
Me too! I had big frustrations with the dealership I ordered from. Same thing you said really. No feedback, didn’t really seem to care if I was happy or not. When I originally called and inquired about buying/ordering a bike they would never return my calls. I had to call multiple times just to hear them say they would check on something and then never call me back. I had to call and threaten that I was done with them and I was going to another dealership. Then within 2 hours the manager called me and asked what I wanted and what color and what accessories I wanted. Then I paid my $1000 deposit and the salesman that was supposed to call to confirm everything with me didn’t call lol. I thought why did it have to come to that? Why didn’t the salesman just do his job the first time. Covid hit us hard with everything shut down, dealerships temporarily closed. Then a customer calls and wants to spend 17 or 18 thousand dollars and there is zero customer service. I guess they don’t need the money lol.
Only have 12 months warranty so after that I will service it myself because I can’t expect good service from them. Well that’s my rant lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
145 Posts
Some dealerships just suck. No one that I've talked to on group rides buys bikes from the local dealership; they all go to dealerships over 100 miles away. The local dealership is crap and running an absolute racket on used bikes that it's amazing they're even in business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was having trouble locating a 1000SX until I got on cycletrader and did a search for 1000SX. 23 new ones came up within 400 miles. Bingo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts