Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
We really do have more knowledge, brain experience, and wisdom than you do. You know how we can prove that? By quoting your entire response in post 13. Anytime someone can reply, " "No ****, sherlock " to your post, you brought up an opinion that's so obvious that it didnt need to be said. When someone says it, despite that fact, it points to mental shortcomings.

Also worth noting is we know Avintage. Hes a friend. We know his son, and how upset we all were when his son crashed. If we said something that might mean anything, it was worth saying. You really didnt.

Honestly, you sound like someone from that movie "Step Father...1 or 2. Eliminate the husband so you can move in and take over as the new father. Only, instead of murdering Avintage, you encourage unsafe behavior, "once and a while" until the inevitable happens. Maybe you've even sabotaged his bike? Your plans not going to work. Avintage is going to be more safe, and even if he doesn't, his wife won't date guys who weigh less than 145lbs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We really do have more knowledge, brain experience, and wisdom than you do. You know how we can prove that? By quoting your entire response in post 13. Anytime someone can reply, " "No ****, sherlock " to your post, you brought up an opinion that's so obvious that it didnt need to be said. When someone says it, despite that fact, it points to mental shortcomings.

Also worth noting is we know Avintage. Hes a friend. We know his son, and how upset we all were when his son crashed. If we said something that might mean anything, it was worth saying. You really didnt.
Thank You for the additional wisdom, I will take note. Also worth noting (probably not) I don't know @Avintage69 so will stay out of your conversation.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Thank You for your experience, wisdom, and opinion. I'm always open to listen and heed those that apparently have more knowledge, wisdom, and experience than I do. As for the history, I will leave that to you and @Rock, I just haven't been around here long enough to be in the know.
Not looking to school you Eagle, nor do I feel I'm on some superior perch (no pun intended) because I've been here for so long (too long), but I do have a perspective that justifies what I posted. Not opinion as much as perspective. In my line of work if you see a repetition of discernible patterns it doesn't go unnoticed (or you suck at what you do) and it is used as predictor for future behavior. It's not opinion its an inference based on historical FACT patterns.

RC pointed out some very important specifics that speaks to this issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not looking to school you Eagle, nor do I feel I'm on some superior perch (no pun intended) because I've been here for so long (too long), but I do have a perspective that justifies what I posted. Not opinion as much as perspective. In my line of work if you see a repetition of discernible patterns it doesn't go unnoticed (or you suck at what you do) and it is used as predictor for future behavior. It's not opinion its an inference based on historical FACT patterns.

RC pointed out some very important specifics that speaks to this issue.
I think I understand you, no problem or issues. Perhaps I stuck my noes in, with a simple opinion, where it didn't belong between members that have a history unbeknown to me. I will get out from in between you folks and I think I may have been taken wrong. But that is OK, it's the internet.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
We've known Avintage for some time now and have allot of love for him (gay and straight 😀 ) so this is not an attack of any sorts, and frankly this posted wasn't solely directed at him. The specifics that RC pointed out should be heeded IMO.
and btw, that ornery Texas fucker doesn't need anyone to come to his aid. He does a fine job at lashing out on his own 😀

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I'm not being a smart as here, as I was earlier. We would like to prevent t something like this from happening. Notice how he lost it at 1/3 the speed his bike was capable of running. The perfect bike. An excellent and safe place to run, and it still wasnt enough. Professional rider. He ended up dead. Not from this accident, bit from another one at 300mph.

He had years of experience doing this, on a dedicated bike.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Eagle six, I was an ***, and I am sorry for that.

Avintage touched a nerve, that's all. I think he likes this sort of thing...maybe a little to much? I dont know, that's not my call, but if he does, I would be like the good salesman saying, "Hey, of you are interested in this type of riding, let me show you 237 other motorcycles that will be more suitable and safer for the job than the one you have now..."

The ninja 1000 is a great bike, but it falls short when top speed is part of the deal. The suspension sucks. In many ways, it's the typical Kawasaki. Let's put a lot of effort into a powerful motor, then well see if we can find some sort of frame to wrap around it. Suspension? Let's see what Ali-baba has....

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
This is getting very emotional.... she is like a son to us though, and we worry about h'im... the poor thing's like a confused gender neutral kid with no direction... despite that we still care about shim 😀

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Eagle Six, if we are being honest...this is strange, but please bear with me. Years ago, we had a huge warning sign, from a forum memeber. This wasnt especially a riding warning sign, but it had to do with mental health. I know several of us discussed the situation, in private, but didnt do anything. How could we? We were just forum members. We knew this guy, really well, but how were we supposed to do anything?

In the end, we didnt do anything. We played nice, and looked the other way. He ended up dead. Not that we could have done much, but looking back, I wish we had all done something...anything.

So, at this point, give us anything that sounds the least bit sketchy, and we will probably over react. Not that we have any power to change any outcome, but this time I'll try.

So no, dont back out of it. Give a checklist of what you might look for, on your bike, before taking it up to those speeds.

For me, I'm looking at tires. Every square inch front and back. Every chain link. Sprocket bolts. Brake pads have to have over 2mm of pad material left. No play in the suspension linkage. Axles tight. Tires balanced within the past 1000 Mike's. No leaks from the fork or shock.

My helmet is one size too small. It has to stay in place without needing its strap, at high speed. If a persons helmet wont do that, it's too large. Fix that, immediately.

I'm also going to add a click, or two worth of rebound damping. I dont want a po go stick. I also have the ability to shorten my shock for more stability.

As I increase speed, I also adjust the steering damper to more firm settings.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've seen 154 on my 2012 with 190/55 rear tire on a flat road. It was still pulling hard when I backed off. The speedo is within 1.5 mph GPS verified.

No matter. Stock 125 rwhp will easily do 160+ if you gear it right. Remember the Kawasaki ZX11D? That bike had 130 rwhp and would easily pull to 175 mph. I had one. Magazine testers verified that speed on the ZX11D also quite a few times. I don't believe power is an issue. It's the gearing. So we can all agree that our bikes are all gear limited to low 150's. If your new friend said his did 160 mph, then he wasn't lying to you. That's just what his speedo was saying and his actual was probably 152-ish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My '16 N1K maxes right at 150-152 with a 240 and 300lb rider (had to verify) and a 24" touring windscreen fully upright. Acceleration falls off a cliff past 145mph. Haven't tested with panniers, yet, though. Stock, performance-wise, other than Yoshi R77 slip ons. I'm new to Ninjas, Kawasaki, and this forum, but I am now hooked.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
155 Posts
I use my N1k for fun. Don’t do much touring. Take it out weekly for burning up the back roads. Not much opportunity to go WOT. I have changed the way I think about my bike. Instead of how fast, I now want my bike to be quick. I recently went up +2 on the rear sprocket. Really like how this transfers power to the rear wheel. Might even go up +3.
Still have lightening the fly wheel on my mod list. Have ordered the fly wheel puller and found a local recommended performance oriented machine shop.

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Registered
226 Posts
It only makes sense that most people who end up on this forum are going to be here because they like to go fast. There are loosely three types of going fast. 1) acceleration. 2) speed through curves. 3). High speed. High speed can be related to acceleration of course.

I like them all. I’ve road raced motorcycles, autocrossed cars and drag raced cars. Ive only had one bike I never saw top speed on, the 1199 Panigale. Not because I was afraid to. I have seen a very big number more than once. It just takes up too much real estate on public roads to find enough room to do it safely - well, safely being relative. I doubt if I’ll see it on the new CBR for the same reason.

My point is that we all take more risks than the average person. But we could put this into perspective by criticizing someone for smoking three packs of cigarettes a day instead of two. I’ve never smoked, so is my fast riding anymore dangerous than smoking? The one thing I do is back off if other vehicles are around so I don’t put them at risk.

RC probably offered the best advice - be sure your equipment is ready. I differ from him though in that I don’t share his hatred for the suspension. I’m sure I would if I tracked the bike. But for street use I’ve never had an issue with the suspension on the three Kawasaki’s I’ve owned. But I give him the right to feel as he does.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Good suspension often gets associated with track riding, and I understand that connection. However, when was the last time you saw a track with potholes, rain grooves, worn sections, or random bumps? For me, I'll take the good suspension on the unknown surface as oposed to something I can predict. I've also noticed ripples, from heat, on one of my favorite public "racetracks".

Especially when it's related to Advantages bike. The last time he updated his signature he was at 51,000 miles. Suspension that was barely adequate with zero miles cant be very good at 51,000. It also not very expensive to deal with this. Traxxion can rebuild the stock shock for 350. A damper will be @450. I'm not sure how much their fork rebuild is, but 500 should be enough to make that better than new.

Smoking kills a little each day, in a controlled and predictable manner. This high speed stuff is different. It's something you might do until your 95.....I'm sure JJs will be doing it long after 95. I hope he is..he will. Or, it kills you this afternoon because of something you did not expect. When you can throw a little money at something, and increase your safety margin, theres no excuse not to.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
AWW shucks @rcannon409 & @Rock I can feel the love from here. No rock not that kind.

Reactions: Rock

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Avintage, with you it's like the scale of justice. On one side, you have used ebay parts. On the other, it's you. For right now, the side with you is sitting slightly in your favor.

Seriously, the suspension and damper is nice to have, anyway. No matter the way its used.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
YOu sure you don't mean suspenders and diaper? :devilish:

·
Registered
226 Posts
RC, the main track I raced at back in the day was Texas World Speedway. After I quit sprint races I got asked to ride with several different endurance teams. That track was in poor condition in a few places. I hit a dip in the pavement right as you come out of the banking onto the straightaway on a 750 Interceptor that was not mine. It did a pretty good head shake that could have been a tank slapper, but it straightened out almost immediately. I was doing over 130.

I saw a guy on a Suzuki 1000 (maybe 1100, not sure 37 years later) hit the same spot probably doing close to 140. His did not end so well. The bike spit him off and proceeded to flip up in the air about ten feet then cartwheel a couple of hundred feet down the track, spitting off parts as it went. I can still see the four carbs flying off. The rider literally walked away, but to say the bike was totaled would be generous.

Take my point however you want, just a good story related to what you said.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts