Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was cruising around and saw a fellow on a pretty sharp 16 today. Solid black with lots of tasteful red accents.
Had to give him a thumbs up which led to a conversation eventually. Standard complements were exchanged and eventually he asked how fast have I had it. I explained how it was set up at that time and said 166 indacted ( because I have that picture) and top speed recorded on a gps just a bit more. He replied with out hesitation that he'd seen 160. I asked what tune he was running and he replied "none, but I've heard of Ivan's"
I had to leave then for obvious reasons but I'm asking just to be sure.

Has anyone seen more then 155 on a none tuned N1K. Up hill, down hill or hell even free fall?
I know this has been talked about before but please humor me.
Before the tune I could only tickle 154 indicated (148 actual) on the stock tire. Could still only tickle 154 (151 actual) on a 190 55.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's what I'm getting out of my stock 2020 somewhere north of 150, I thought it blinked 155 before I had to let off due traffic. That's speedo indicated, not true. I cannot break 150 indicated mph at the elevation I normally ride (7K-9K feet asl), 140 indicated is easy but I need a better day to get a longer run if I will ever see 150+ indicated this high up and I doubt that. That would be marginally interesting to determine what the terminal velocity of an N1K would be! Humans is about 125 right free fall (without a dive), so maybe the N1K could break 166! I don't want to use mine to find out!!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I had to leave then for obvious reasons but I'm asking just to be sure.
Uh, obvious to you, but remember the rest of us aren't in your head. Fortunately.
So what was the obvious reason, you got wood? :)

At my weight and elevation I'd be lucky to kiss 149 on the 18. My flashed 2016 another story.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh, obvious to you, but remember the rest of us aren't in your head. Fortunately.
So what was the obvious reason, you got wood? :)
My BS meter was pegged to the max and my tolerance supply was empty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My 2011 was rev limiter limited to 150 on GPS with the speedo reading 160. Yes, ten MPH error at top speed. BTW, that was stock. After I put on the full Akra and had 140 hp at the rear wheel, and changed gearing, I never had a chance to get to top speed. I figured it should have hit 160 actual when it hit the rev limiter.

My 2020 has seen 153 and was still pulling. I did not have a GPS on the bike then. I'm assuming nothing has really changed and it should do 150 actual. I have a GPS on the bike now and the speedo reads 5% high, so that is 7.5 mph off at a real 150.

Anyone who says their bike has done over 150 is either talking indicated and not real, or the bike has been modified with either taller gearing or the rev limiter raised. A stock bike will not go over 150 real with no mods. I guess a lot of you with 55 series tires could run a little more as that effectively raises the gearing.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Like Jim said, its rev limiter limited on the stock 2011-13 bikes. Ivan's rev limiter takes the stock 10,500 up to 11,500 or 11,750, your choice on the limiter. It will pull that in 6th gear, with a full exhaust and flash e6..It could have used higher gearing. It had more potential, but the circumstances were not right.

On a TOTALLY separate topic, I once paid 168 dollars for gps machine. That's dollars. Not mph.

Hopefully a person isnt doing that, on a ninja, very often. With a steering g damper, it's not bad, but without that, your body is in a bad position to deal with the force. It doesnt take much to have odd things happen. The concours 14 will do this all day long and you could could take a nap at 140.

·
Registered
312 Posts
258kmph on the meter, non tuned, K&N, SPE Slip-ons

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
150 Posts
My non-tuned '14 saw 146 once. This with the 155 rear tire.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I dont think any of us would claim this isnt a dumb thing to do. Especially on public roadways. Not that any of us ever break the rules, and exceed the speed limit. I know none of us ever do that.

However, if a person wanted to do this, on a regular basis, it's not very smart to be doing this on the Ninja. A first gen zx14, or Hayabusa sells for about 4500. Either of those bikes will do 186, in stock form, all day long. A little more if you have Ivan reflash them. Both of those bikes are built with this in mind.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Other than track the only way we could consistently do this around here is at night on the thruway when there's little traffic and there were others to scout ahead for cops (I live near the on ramp and hear sport bikes doing this almost every night). Other than that, too many cars (in the way) and too many cops. We don't have long straight stretches of nothing around here.

My main concern has always been the zero to 100/110 time (to get the fck away from everyone) and anything past that is gravy, unless I do a track day. It would be foolish to have the ninja as a track focused bike, but it would be nice to get a day in now that they're opening back up.

RC I agree if the "how fast can I go" is important, or a priority, get a ZX14 or busa and pin it in a straight line. If it's more of you want a fast bike that can corner decently, and you actually are able to take technical turns at a respectable speed (I question how many really can), then get something else.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are obviously better top end speed bikes than the N1K, but that doesn't mean an owner may not want to find out what their N1K will do WOT. Because a guy asks what is the fastest your N1K has gone doesn't mean he or they are out to drag race or mile run everyday or even often. Just about every bike I have ever owned sooner or later gets WOT when the opportunity arises just to see what it will do. I have a ZX14r and like going WOT, but I still would like to get the N1K to WOT for a while just to see what the indicator will top out at. We have a couple road sections in out local 50 mile area. The favorite is a 1.5 mile stretch that has a good mile straight before a slight turn for the run down. Halfway it has a slight upgrade and of course coming the other way that section is a slight downgrade. We can place spotters at both ends and during the week, especially in the AM, there is little traffic to deal with, although DPS has ruined our plan a few times when hanging around. The road surface is almost always clear and smoother than most tracks. The elevation is 9,110 feet so those new to the area we bring out are surprised they cannot get the speed they think their bike is capable of! The biggest pain with this section is the often present crosswind. But when all things line up, it makes for a pretty safe place to ring them out. And, most of us aren't young kids on sport bikes!

Reactions: agurudev

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
T Because a guy asks what is the fastest your N1K has gone doesn't mean he or they are out to drag race or mile run everyday or even often.
In my case, you're right. I'd really like to know just to know, and of course to have the opportunity to do it because it can be fun. But you're incorrect in that there are those who make "top speed of the day" or "how fast I went today" posts quite often. You notice a pattern after a while. So yes, even often.

·
Registered
672 Posts
155mph (250kph) on the speedo before I said, enough! The bike was willing to go beyond that speed, for sure.

2016 Ninja with the following go-fast mods: carbon fibre wheels, full system exhaust, fuel controller, free flow filter, steering damper.

Something as mundane as a windscreen makes a significant difference in top speed as wind resistance is a killer at those speeds.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Eagle six, your points are good, but in this case, theres some history here that leads me to believe this isnt an isolated, one off thing. This is happening on a used bike, with quite a few miles on it as well.

If a person wants to push bikes to the limit, that's awesome, but it's also worth looking at a few other things in order to make a good decision. The stock suspension on this bike is the most basic shock Kawasaki could get by with providing. If they paid 40.00 for it, I would be surprised. It was dog crap the day it was made. Many thousands of miles later, do you suppose its improved?

The fork is slightly better, but barely, and it's not tuned. Perfect. It's also worn.

Theres also the steering damper issue. Many tracks wont let you ride without one. Anything more advanced than a beginner session will require one, or you dont get to ride. You wont get into any organized high-speed contest without one.

It's right here. 445 dollars and you get a color choice.https://www.solomotoparts.com/GPR-V4-Stabilizer-for-Ninja-1000-11-14/

I dont know if you've ever been on a bike and ridden through a good tank slapper. It's especially awesome when you accelerate to get out of one. That's fun because as soon as you slow down, you have to hope it wont happen as you decelerate through that speed where it happened. Especially scary on a bike that's never shown that symptom, before. None of them do, until they do. High speed work, without a damper, is stupid. I had a wobble at somewhere around 65-70. It ripped the stops off the triple clamp, and I didnt make it out if that one in good shape. The damper is 400-500. It's nice to have in everyday riding and will save your life at high speed.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The road systems are to bad around here for my taste on high speed rides including the interstates, dam pot holes every where, riding at night is out of the question.

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Registered
157 Posts
In my case, you're right. I'd really like to know just to know, and of course to have the opportunity to do it because it can be fun. But you're incorrect in that there are those who make "top speed of the day" or "how fast I went today" posts quite often. You notice a pattern after a while. So yes, even often.
As a senior member to me I'm glad you have pointed out my error. 'often', 'even often', 'very often', subjective driven opinions. It appears yours differ from mine. I've noticed that @Avintage69 does speak of speed in some of his posts, and maybe he has started 2 threads more specifically about speed. This is of course is a motorcycle forum and there are a lot of N1K owners interested more in speed than touring from what I have read (again subjective), but I wouldn't rate it as 'even often' from the OP. On the other hand, it wouldn't seem that important to me.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you pointing it out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Eagle six, your points are good, but in this case, theres some history here that leads me to believe this isnt an isolated, one off thing. This is happening on a used bike, with quite a few miles on it as well.

If a person wants to push bikes to the limit, that's awesome, but it's also worth looking at a few other things in order to make a good decision. The stock suspension on this bike is the most basic shock Kawasaki could get by with providing. If they paid 40.00 for it, I would be surprised. It was dog crap the day it was made. Many thousands of miles later, do you suppose its improved?

The fork is slightly better, but barely, and it's not tuned. Perfect. It's also worn.

Theres also the steering damper issue. Many tracks wont let you ride without one. Anything more advanced than a beginner session will require one, or you dont get to ride. You wont get into any organized high-speed contest without one.

It's right here. 445 dollars and you get a color choice.https://www.solomotoparts.com/GPR-V4-Stabilizer-for-Ninja-1000-11-14/

I dont know if you've ever been on a bike and ridden through a good tank slapper. It's especially awesome when you accelerate to get out of one. That's fun because as soon as you slow down, you have to hope it wont happen as you decelerate through that speed where it happened. Especially scary on a bike that's never shown that symptom, before. None of them do, until they do. High speed work, without a damper, is stupid. I had a wobble at somewhere around 65-70. It ripped the stops off the triple clamp, and I didnt make it out if that one in good shape. The damper is 400-500. It's nice to have in everyday riding and will save your life at high speed.
Thank You for your experience, wisdom, and opinion. I'm always open to listen and heed those that apparently have more knowledge, wisdom, and experience than I do. As for the history, I will leave that to you and @Rock, I just haven't been around here long enough to be in the know.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts