Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If only they designed a dip stick, life would be easier.
So, is replacing engine oil+filter a one-man operation or not?
Yes, if you excluded the check engine oil level step.

I want to share a possibility but it's a bit of improvisation.
Tools needed:

Steps:
  1. Locate the oil level window
  2. Stack you books next to it
  3. Place the work light in front of it and turn it ON
  4. extend your mirror
  5. Go to the LEFT side of your Ninja
  6. Position the mirror so you can see the oil level window
  7. Shift the bike to stand up level
  8. Watch the oil level in the window level up

Please share your method. Yes, I know the other method: get your wife to watch the window when you tilt your bike.

Reactions: Bc2

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
a) Put the bike on a rear stand and check. It's hard to imagine living with a bike with no center stand without a rear stand. The difference between the raised rear and level is about a mm at most. Not a critical difference.

b) (Based on a lot of miles on N1ks) Change oil AND filter, dump in 4 qts and forgetaboutit. After the first couple of times I just don't bother checking any more.

Reactions: Volfy and arthury

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I can put the bike on Front + Rear stands and that should be close to Level.

I also like the 4Qt + forgetaboutit Method. :) :coffee:

Thanks for chiming in.(y)

Reactions: Bc2

·
Registered
946 Posts
I agree with @kenors on both points. Mine doesn't change level in the window between oil changes, so not much to worry about. I do put the bike on rear stand whenever I don't expect to ride it again the very next day, so it's easy to catch a quick glimpse of the oil level.

Reactions: arthury

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rear stand if it's on the rear stand, the wife if she is riding with me as she likes to do the pre-ride walk around, or from the right side just lift the bike off the kick stand until it is upright and knell down to look in the window. But it has never been low so there are times I don't check it!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just don't find it to have the bike on a side stand, go to the right side and pull the bike up to check it. If I get in trouble I just push it back on the kickstand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have any issues with getting down on one knee so I can see the sight glass and pulling the bike up til it's level (barely tips either way) and reading the level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I straighten out the front wheel, then stand on the right side of the bike with the bike on the sidestand. I pull on the bike to make it stand up straight and I know that it's level when it doesn't take any effort to hold it up because it's perfectly balanced. Then I look down on the oil check sight glass.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I straighten out the front wheel, then stand on the right side of the bike with the bike on the sidestand. I pull on the bike to make it stand up straight and I know that it's level when it doesn't take any effort to hold it up because it's perfectly balanced. Then I look down on the oil check sight glass.
The Oil Level Window is pretty low. You can see the oil level standing up?
I tried your method with one knee on the floor and I can more or less see the oil level, not perfect but works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
a) Put the bike on a rear stand and check. It's hard to imagine living with a bike with no center stand without a rear stand. The difference between the raised rear and level is about a mm at most. Not a critical difference.

b) (Based on a lot of miles on N1ks) Change oil AND filter, dump in 4 qts and forgetaboutit. After the first couple of times I just don't bother checking any more.
This with the N1K. Easy Peasy

Doesn't work on all bikes though. My KTM reads over full when checked on a rear stand. Drove me nuts until I put two and two together (I'm a little slow). Has to be warmed up, wait 62.8 seconds and checked on a level surface. I've never owned a bike that is so finicky about oil level.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This with the N1K. Easy Peasy

Doesn't work on all bikes though. My KTM reads over full when checked on a rear stand. Drove me nuts until I put two and two together (I'm a little slow). Has to be warmed up, wait 62.8 seconds and checked on a level surface. I've never owned a bike that is so finicky about oil level.
Well, if you are going down that road, don't even think about any of this if you own an Aprilia. The oil change procedure alone in those will make you sell it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I clean my bike after every ride with the bike on front and rear stands. It makes easy to fully check the tires and oil level. As others have said, it never needs oil between changes.

it’s the easiest bike I can remember to change oil on. Everything can be done without removing anything else.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
You could also use a wheel chock. I don't have one but I've heard that once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
The wheel chock holds the bike level, and it is awesome. I use it all the time. My rear stand shows an artificially low oil level. With the rear stand, the oil really is at the top line , but visually, it at the lower line until it's off the stand.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
it’s the easiest bike I can remember to change oil on. Everything can be done without removing anything else.
You cannot say any of that about the H2 SX. Take half the bike apart and it still makes a damn mess.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I still need to write a poem honoring my Baxley chock. Having problems rhyming something with "earthquake" and I cant find my Bruce Springsteen 8 track to get help with this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts