Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you lane split?

15 minute video that's well worth your time:

Motorcycles riding between cars! Calm down, the legal practice of lane splitting saves car drivers time and money by reducing overall congestion while allowing motorcycles to take charge of their own safety. Here's why everyone, including car drivers, should support legal lane splitting.

Jamie and a Triumph Street Triple are joined by Harlan Flagg of electric motorcycle dealer Hollywood Electrics and Wes returns from injury on a Suzuki GSX-R600.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there data to back-up that lane splitting is safe? Is there proof that there are less motorcycle accidents in places with legal lane splitting?

I can see both sides. It seems unsafe to me, but it also seems very useful. I don't know about this its safer argument though. It may be safe, but I don't know if its safer than not splitting lanes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was reading about lane splitting on Wikipedia and it seems like there isn't concrete information on whether lane splitting is safe or not.

It seems that lane splitting is safe for riders, but there is a great caution too.

Riding between rows of stopped or moving cars in the same lane can leave you vulnerable. A car could turn suddenly or change lanes, a door could open, or a hand could come out of a window.
Yet, the entry goes on to say,

"No examples have yet been located where such filtering has been the cause of an incident."
It seems like more of a philosophical argument right now rather than one based on study and measured results.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there data to back-up that lane splitting is safe? Is there proof that there are less motorcycle accidents in places with legal lane splitting?

I can see both sides. It seems unsafe to me, but it also seems very useful. I don't know about this its safer argument though. It may be safe, but I don't know if its safer than not splitting lanes.
In general it is unsafe as a lot of people don't do it properly, while there's a small amount of people that are extra careful with it and never get into any issues.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lane splitting is legal and common in CA. (up to 25mph) I've had a couple close calls but 9 out of 10 times its a pissed off car driver trying to stop me. Cut off, door opened, cigarette thrown at me and 2 auto mirrors taken out. I've seen people split up to 60mph which is asking for an accident but if traffic is at a dead stop I don't see a problem nor have I had a real problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never lane split, not even at red lights. Just my opinion, but I think it just adds to people's poor perception of us. How many times have you heard someone say "I hate motorcycle riders?" Of course the stunt riders doing wheelies at 100 mph on the freeway doesn't help matters either. I try to be a responsible rider at all times. My family needs me to be around for a while.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live in Texas and would love to have it legal here. I have done it in California with a very wide Honda ST1300 and in Italy on a Stelvio. At first it is a little concerning but after a short while it works nicely.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I lane filter in ny and don't see a safety problem. Maybe drivers are annoyed but it seems harmless in practice.
Lane splitting takes this to the next level. In ca I was told that you need to split between lanes 1 and 2 and keep the speed 5-10 mph over the rest of traffic. If it's legal and expected and not abused, I don't see a problem. I would like to have it on ny highways. That would be an experiment. Are highways wider in ca than in the rest of the country? If the rest of us have narrower roads that would be a legitimate objection. If our highways are well designed, why do Europe and Asia get to have all the fun?

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple of things to clear up for CA: there is no speed limit to lane splitting. There's also no magic number re how much faster than traffic can you ride while lane splitting. The California Highway Patrol states that lane splitting can be conducted in a safe manner when conditions permit.

Having said that, it is common practice to lane split at speeds below 35 mph. Splitting lanes while traffic is doing 65+ mph is precarious and probably contributes to the bad name given to lane splitting and motorcyclists in general.

How much faster than traffic should you go? Again, the CHP says it should be done in a safe manner. Yes, most of us here go 5-15 mph faster than traffic. I've seen many guys doing 60+ when traffic is jammed (almost always). I just dont have the balls to do it myself.

What I can say is that sitting in traffic for 45 mins to a hr (on a regular commute) in stop and go traffic has never given me a sense of security. You are an easy target for a distracted driver to rear end you or change lanes right in front of you. I've been there and heard the typical "Sorry! just didn't see you...." If you do this on your way home when it's dark in CA around 5 pm, God help you.

And this is to say nothing of handling a 500 lbs piece of machinery in stop and go traffic. It fatigues you significantly and makes you prone to errors.

I just couldn't ride in a state where lane splitting was illegal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The government is about to legalize lane spliting / filtering in Queensland, Australia. Comes into effect 1st Feb 2015. You will not be allowed to exceed 30km/h while splitting so traffic will need be be traveling slower then that. You will also be able to ride on the shoulder of the road where the normal speed limit is greater than 90 km/h but again you will not be allowed to exceed 30 km/h.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts