Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now that I got your attention... 馃お

Is there a location in our Ninja 1000SX to replace the OEM horn with a twin horns set ?
If I were to splice the 2 OEM horn wires, will it work electrically ?

Registered
Depends on your replacement horn. If it's an air horn with compressor, I'd wouldn't do it. Better use a relay. First thing to do it to look up the OEM fuse rating for that circuit.

FWIW, I have not toot the horn on any of my bikes for I forgot how long. Personally, I'd rather not wait for other motorists to react... if they react at all. Better to use the power and agility of the bike to get away ASAP.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like there are ready-made relays for dual horns...
No, I am not 100% dependent on my horns but more of bullet-proofing the act.

Reactions: Oramac

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Reactions: Oramac

Registered
There are times, you cannot get away; for instance, you are on the main road (single-lane) and there is a side cross-road ahead of you with a car waiting for you to pass.
Will the car wait for me or not when I'm 6 feet away from that T-junction? Only the motorist knows.

What would you do?
We're not saying don't have/use the horn. Just that it's not our go-to option. In a case like that, hell yea honk that ****.

Registered
There are times, you cannot get away; for instance, you are on the main road (single-lane) and there is a side cross-road ahead of you with a car waiting for you to pass.
Will the car wait for me or not when I'm 6 feet away from that T-junction? Only the motorist knows.

http://instagr.am/p/CRLtMHpHwvJ/ http://instagr.am/p/CRJ3N7rHT_7/

Not much you can do with this one.

What would you do?
In two of those vids, horn would've mattered exactly none. The red car backing up... maybe. If it were me, I wouldn't have bothered to honk... nor would I just sit there waiting for the inevitable. Not when the escape path is wide open to the right.

For horn to work, a rider is making 3 assumptions:

1. The intended motorist will actually hear your horn. These day, automobiles have such good NVH isolation, the chances of a honk being heard inside a well-insulated cabin is rather slim. Add car audio, cellphones, McNuggets, etc., and the chances dwindles even further. Maybe if you are right on top of their bumper... but by that time, what good would it do?

2. The intended motorist will correctly identify where the honk originated and what the hazard it signified. Hearing is only first 1/3 of the equation. The 2nd 1/3 is to follow up with visual identification. For a small vehicle like our motorcycle, that is no easy task. Unless the honk comes from the motorist's center field of view, it may take a few seconds for the motorist to turn his/her head and match that honk to what he/she guesses is the source.

3, The intended motorist reacts timely to avoid the hazard. This final 1/3 of the equation is arguably the biggest IF. That is based on my own experience over the years.

So, at the end of the day, the question I ask myself is... do I really want to wait and see if I could pin my life on the good graces of other motorists to hear, identify, and react to my honk?

Honk or not honk... the only safe bet is to assume they will fail, and as swiftly as possible act proactively to get away from them. This is my answer.

Each rider will have to answer that question for him/herself.

Premium Member
Volfys point number 2 is why this doesnt work nearly as well as it should, or sounds like it will.

I didnt spend a lot upgrading my horns, and I'm glad I didnt. People know what a motorcycle horn is supposed to sound like. When your bike doesnt soind that way, it adds a layer of confusion to the situation.You can try this, yourself. Upgrade the horn, then go honk at someone. See of they focus on you, or keep scanning to try and find the sound.

Registered

http://instagr.am/p/CRLtMHpHwvJ/ http://instagr.am/p/CRJ3N7rHT_7/

Not much you can do with this one.

What would you do?
Not sure what a horn would do in the first video. The second one a horn might have possibly helped.

Registered
Just to be clear... I'm not discouraging anyone from upgrading the horn. It is a tool, and a more useful one than some of the crap I see folks "upgrade" on their cars/bikes. I'm simply saying I myself do not assume any motorist will react to it as I would like them to.

Years ago, there was one instance on my way home from work on a divided 4-lane road, where several cars were all hogging the left lane. So I moved over to the right lane to get around them. As I was passing the first car (a Mercedes) on the right, another car ahead of her moved to the right too, no doubt having gotten impatient about being stuck behind slower traffic. Well, this got me stuck next to the Mercedes. Then, the Mercedes started to move to the right as well... right into me! I looked over at her and honked the horn. She just stared at me and kept right on coming, as if to say: "why are you still in my way?" I grabbed a handful of brakes and just narrowly missed being clipped by her rear bumper.

My mistake was - beyond getting myself stuck in a vulnerable position - assuming other human beings generally have an aversion to running me over.

Even if they hear you and see you, they might not give a flying fat f*** about you. Of all the factors in road safety, driver attitude is the most unpredictable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
She just stared at me and kept right on coming, as if to say: "why are you still in my way?" I grabbed a handful of brakes and just narrowly missed being clipped by her rear bumper.
It's the attitude that non-4-wheels vehicles are second class citizens and they should move away for me, the motorist.
They keep forgetting that we pay for a license plate and the annual sticker, too.

Having said this, I was just reviewing The Pridmore Way and one of the things the author said about eye contact is this: they look but they are not seeing because the driver had all sorts of matters in her head --- work problems, marital problems, children problems, in-laws problems --- and the last thing in her mind is the motorcyclist. In other words, don't trust eye-contact even if it looks like they are looking into your eyes.

Just 2 months ago, I was fully inside a roundabout making the turn when a Honda Odyssey minivan, in another road adjoining the roundabout, looked me in the eye and waited till I was like 6 feet in front of him before he decided to accelerate in front of me. Lesson learned: keep to the posted 15 MPH (or less) in roundabouts or it will be a losing proposition.

Ideally, it's best not to ride in highly urbanized areas with high traffic density, unless you have no choice. Even if you do everything right, they can still show up from nowhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[...]
People know what a motorcycle horn is supposed to sound like. When your bike doesnt soind that way, it adds a layer of confusion to the situation.You can try this, yourself. Upgrade the horn, then go honk at someone. See of they focus on you, or keep scanning to try and find the sound.
Based on my own experience as a motorist, if I hear a horn nearby, my first reaction is to take my foot off the accelerator and proceed with full caution until I determine the hooting of the horn was not meant for me.

Yes, I agree that it may take time to decode where the horn is coming from, but if the horn is not even heard, we will not get pass Volfy's 1st assumption.

Seems to me that loud twin horns are more popular among the traditional Harley guys. Is that correct? Denali's products comes to mind.

Registered
Having said this, I was just reviewing The Pridmore Way and one of the things the author said about eye contact is this: they look but they are not seeing because the driver had all sorts of matters in her head --- work problems, marital problems, children problems, in-laws problems --- and the last thing in her mind is the motorcyclist. In other words, don't trust eye-contact even if it looks like they are looking into your eyes.
To this day, I couldn't be sure those eyes behind her sunglasses actually saw me, practically just outside her side door windows.

Maybe she saw me, but it didn't register in her head. Maybe I reminded of her ex-husband, and that's why she was dead set on running me over. :poop:

Premium Member
Thinking back over the last 5 years or so I think the only time I've used the horn is when the 3 second rule is violated. That is, sitting at a light, if 3 seconds after it turns green the person in front of me hasn't looked up from their device they get a blast.
I've come to think that it isn't malicious intent or a "don't give a rat's *** about mc's" attitude in larger vehicle drivers that causes them to invade our space. The part of their brain dedicated to driving is the absolute minimum needed for them to get where they're going alive and well. Anything smaller than them doesn't even register. Like Volfy, I've had drivers look me in the eye and continue to move into my space. It's happened on the freeway and in roundabouts. Bright colors, horns and flashing lights might help but don't bet your life on them.
And from the cops I ride with, their tales of angry, drunk, drugged or high people they've pulled over are scary beyond belief. People who can't even stand up who were behind the wheel driving down the freeway. You never know who's behind the wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts