Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Z1000SX ‘18
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
some time ago I posted a question of the best option for a low rpm highway sprocket setup. quickly I came to the conclusion that swapping the sprockets on my 2017 SX was an issue. In the back I could drop down to 39T without an issue but changing the 15t upfront threw a code pretty quickly.

After some trial and error I now ride a z1000sx 2017 with 16T upfront and 39T in the back. After my first 100km’s I got an error code. I went to my local shop and they cleared the code from the computer, now almost 1000km later the code hasn’t appeared again.

Soon I will get the bike tuned and adjusted on a test bench at a reputable tuner, they will also permanently remove the code that comes with a 16T. However, he did tell me the ECU learns and maybe this error won’t show up again on its own.

So… How does it ride?

AMAZING !!!

My friend owns a new Versys 1000 from 2021, a nice bike with the same engine and a different gearbox. Now that I ride next to him I’m matching his rpm or lower.

Before I would reach 6000 RPM pretty quick around 130km/h
Now to reach 6000 RPM I would have to go at least 150km/h

I included a pic of my GoPro (apologies for poor qualityj)
Here I do 120km/s at about 4400 RPM ( I think before this would have been 5500 or so)
The gps is not too far off at 117km/h.

I can now do longer pulls without the 1st gear tapping out, the overall ride has become a million times more smooth and the ride on long distances at high speed is now a breeze rather then a shaky vibrator.
The engine has tons of power so dropping a gear to disappear still feels the same.

My goal was to lower rpm and It was very successful, also gaining a higher top speed but unless I’m in Germany I won’t need that.

I would recommend this to every z1000sx owner.

Besides the future tune I do already have a K&N race air filter and a straight pipe exhaust system.

Speedometer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here I do 120km/s
Dude you are flying!! I can't imagine going 268,456 mph! :ROFLMAO:

I jest, but seriously, that's fantastic. Kinda makes me want to do this on my '21 N1K. Though IDK how that would affect the ECU since it's rather significantly different from the '17.

·
Premium Member
15,020 Posts
Sorry, but this ecu is not going to learn or adapt to your gearing. It would have the ability to detect correct or not correct, with regards to wheel speed vs gear position,but that's it.

If someone really believed this, I would not feel comfortable with them in my ecu.

Think about how bad this would be, if it were true. When the wheel detected slip, or abnormal relationship in speed, it would assume you changed gearing or tire size and continue to do it's thing instead of activating traction control or abs.

·
Registered
Z1000SX ‘18
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dude you are flying!! I can't imagine going 268,456 mph! :ROFLMAO:

I jest, but seriously, that's fantastic. Kinda makes me want to do this on my '21 N1K. Though IDK how that would affect the ECU since it's rather significantly different from the '17.
Ah ye my bad :eek:
the 21 isn’t too different from the 17 though but the electronic part probably is. I’m not too sure how the ecu would handle it, I know the 17-18 are a pain with sprocket change in the front but maybe for the latest version they changed it. However it’s always good to get the ecu modified after changing things

·
Registered
Z1000SX ‘18
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, but this ecu is not going to learn or adapt to your gearing. It would have the ability to detect correct or not correct, with regards to wheel speed vs gear position,but that's it.

If someone really believed this, I would not feel comfortable with them in my ecu.

Think about how bad this would be, if it were true. When the wheel detected slip, or abnormal relationship in speed, it would assume you changed gearing or tire size and continue to do it's thing instead of activating traction control or abs.
true I was also a bit confused but it’s possible to disable the error code generated by the change in sprocket, both traction control and abs will remain working as usual since these parameters are not affected. So far I’ve had to make 2 emergency stops since the change and abs kicks in just as It normally would. Also when I drove in heavy rain the traction control did me good, the same goes for fast launches or tight cornering.

Other then the butter smooth acceleration and low rpm I haven’t notices anything different. Even when I had the error on my dash for the first time I drove for more then 300km’s with it and it’s just the same.

·
Premium Member
15,020 Posts
Systems that show errors are not good to go and should not be trusted. You just haven't found out what's going to not work properly.

What will happen is if the tire loses traction, the traction control will look at speed, mph and gear position. When this doesn't match it's programmed parameters, maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. The error light it warning you.

And you have someone advising you who thinks the system has a long term memory. What would go wrong? Please proceed with caution and drive as if you have no traction control.

Even better idea. Save thousands and buy a 11-16 bike where you can run whatever gearing you would like to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts