Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Maybe I better grab that '21 SX while it's still around. I don't think the new iteration is going to be seen any time soon.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
45 Posts
Maybe I better grab that '21 SX while it's still around. I don't think the new iteration is going to be seen any time soon.
And I don't see how they can make it much better than it is at this price point, It will take some tailoring to fit you just like any other bike, but in the end it is just a fun bike to ride while still being somewhat practical

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
45 Posts
I don't really know anyone there that well, have not been there in years. I talked with Nick once after buying a Monster at HVMC who I deal with regularly. I bought the 1000 SX from them too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What I want to know is...as a 74-year old BMW S1000RR owner who is looking to continue sportbike riding, but wants a little more comfort, with performance...will the 2021 SX make me happy?
/QUOTE]
NO! Should you sell a Lotus and get a SUV/sedan/pickup truck?! Should you leave your pole-dancer for a fat woman who can cook? Do you need to take trips? If not, then don't get rid of the beemer sportsbike.
I came to this forum just now to post that now that I have my Ninja at home in North Carolina, I've grown to really love it!!
I just visited a country pub via the wonderful windy and hilly backroads that I've stormed for decades damn near as fast and confident as on my CBR. Will my track times be as good? heck no, but is the Ninja as good for fast street riding? Absolutely! And more comfortable fo sho.
Bikram is either an 800lb gorilla or has a completely different suspension than my 2018 Ninja. I weigh 170-180lbs depending on recent food/beer/gym activity and my rear spring on my 2018 Ninja is way too stiff for touring, but is great for the hell raising I did yesterday afternoon returning from shooting pool. Yes, the turn-in and in-turn stability was an issue before i wore out those POS factory Bridgestones, replaced them with wonderful Michelin Road5's and made a 1322mile trip home taking the long way through Tennessee and North Carolina mountains! The Ninja is great for fast road riding, but will never approach my CBR's turning prowess!!
I bought the bike while working out of town instead of renting a POS Camry or some other crap. It was my daily ride and the upright riding position and saddle bags were perfect. Didn't mind getting caught in the rain, although those western storms can show you that there are times you must stop and wait!
I've had one or two 1000cc sportbikes/sport-tourers continuously for 43 years. Get the amazing Ninja, keep your beemer and STFU about the cost of owning two! :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
674 Posts
Liter bike and ZX14R/Hayabusa/H2 SX would be the ideal streetbike combination, as long as you don't care about having no insurance or paying $6k a year in insurance.

The Tuono had just as weird handlebars as the N1K. A bit disappointing

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I don't really know anyone there that well, have not been there in years. I talked with Nick once after buying a Monster at HVMC who I deal with regularly. I bought the 1000 SX from them too.
I bought my previous nInja from HV. The owners son is a bit of a nozzle so I never went back. The little dealer where the now deceased gent worked is really good. Service is great at low prices. Cool location too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Liter bike and ZX14R/Hayabusa/H2 SX would be the ideal streetbike combination, as long as you don't care about having no insurance or paying $6k a year in insurance.

The Tuono had just as weird handlebars as the N1K. A bit disappointing
damn your insurance mafia is terrible. i pay $800/yr for both with full coverage

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I bought my previous nInja from HV. The owners son is a bit of a nozzle so I never went back. The little dealer where the now deceased gent worked is really good. Service is great at low prices. Cool location too.
Lucky you. One of the reasons I'm considering trading the BMW is that my BMW dealer was sold to a large company that specializes in RV's, boats, ATV's, etc. The service at the new place is terrible (example: made appointment for a major service a month ahead of time, dropped bike off, called one week later to ask how the service was going and was told they hadn't started on it yet!).

·
Registered
674 Posts
damn your insurance mafia is terrible. i pay $800/yr for both with full coverage
ZX10R is $2500 a year for me for full coverage, so I just pay liability. I'm not concerned about it, because I don't commute on it and ride it only once a week or so. I have mostly full coverage on the N1K and I pay about $500 a year.

Flo quotes me at $4k a year for a ZX14R, which is rather unfortunate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm 65 and traded my 2017 zx-10r for the 2020 n1k. I miss it. Even after changing the bars and seat to mimic a sportbike crouch, it's not the same.
What I miss is the connectedness to the machine that only comes with a full tuck. The n1k is quick, but not quite the same league.
I've been on full 1000cc supersports since 2001. Two gsxrs and two zx-10rs. I've also had the FJR and currently also have a Concours14 with 107k miles.

Maybe upgrade to the current m1000rr?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Maybe upgrade to the current m1000rr?
Good info, but the new RR just doesn't do it, in my opinion. Yes, it has carbon fiber wheels, and - yes - a few more horsepower than my '17, but I think BMW ran out of good ideas with the 2020+ model and just "blinged" up the bike to generate "excitement". If I were to keep riding a RR, it would be my currrent '17...and I might do that.

The SX just seems like a good, more comfortable bike that CAN do the twisties. That's the impression I've gotten, and why I'm even looking at it...along with the decline in service at my current BMW dealer...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do want rear sets for sure (I wouldn't mind lower bars as well)!
IF I keep this bike they're going to have to go on. I'm hitting 3 years on this bike so I'm itching to change, but don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
If you are serious about wanting to change the bars, I would highly recommend it; I went with Speedymoto bars (the highest ones I could get, as I wasn't trying to go lower, just improve the angle and sweep), but I'm sure you would also do well with the woodcraft adjustable risers. Either should allow you get the bar sweep and angle much closer to what a sportbike would usually have, while reusing your factory bars.
It really makes a difference, tucking in feels more natural now, as does body lean on corners. That was something I hadn't even made the connection on until after I made the swap; the relatively straight sweep on the bars meant that my outside elbow was way out, and it was sort a stretch...now the angle is much more natural.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Who knows what'll make you happy? Try to get a ride on a N1K. Kawasaki is touring the U.S. right now with demo days.
Maybe just mod the S1K to be more comfortable, and get a tailbag.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
If you are serious about wanting to change the bars, I would highly recommend it; I went with Speedymoto bars (the highest ones I could get, as I wasn't trying to go lower, just improve the angle and sweep), but I'm sure you would also do well with the woodcraft adjustable risers. Either should allow you get the bar sweep and angle much closer to what a sportbike would usually have, while reusing your factory bars.
It really makes a difference, tucking in feels more natural now, as does body lean on corners. That was something I hadn't even made the connection on until after I made the swap; the relatively straight sweep on the bars meant that my outside elbow was way out, and it was sort a stretch...now the angle is much more natural.
Thanks. Do you have a pic?

41 - 60 of 141 Posts