Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting that the Concours and FJR were mentioned. I like the FJR for touring, but haven't looked at one yet. Local dealer has one, I think. But that's a heavy bike...
[/QUOTE]
They are heavy, and not very "sporty", but if you kept the S1kRR, they would be a great touring companion. After 50 years of riding, I have determined there is no One Bike that does it all the best. Multiple applications require compromises somewhere or multiple bikes for each. I would said the Connie is arguably the best pure touring bike for comfort and speed, but too bloated/heavy for twisties, canyons or the track. The N1k, imho, is the best compromise of power, relatively light, and still comfortable for full or multiple days. I may even try my N1k at the track, though the low footpegs and expensive plastics are not confidence-inspiring. (especially with stock suspension.)

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
346 Posts
Like the Aprilia idea, but no dealer near me. That's out.

Interesting that the Concours and FJR were mentioned. I like the FJR for touring, but haven't looked at one yet. Local dealer has one, I think. But that's a heavy bike...
Both Concours and FJR are heavy tourers.

But, with an FJR, if you wear a white helmet and add some blue graphics to your attire, they'll mistake you for a highway patrol and they will pull to the side to let you pass.
I get that all the time even with my red CBR1000RR SP + white helmet ... on countless occasions. :ROFLMAO: Seriously ...

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Those two are definitely too large coming from a S1000RR. The XR is way better and provides all day comfort, even more so than the N1K because the seat is lightyears better (and it's a little more upright still).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
But, with an FJR, if you wear a white helmet and add some blue graphics to your attire, they'll mistake you for a highway patrol and they will pull to the side to let you pass.
I get that all the time even with my red CBR1000RR SP + white helmet ... on countless occasions. :ROFLMAO: Seriously ...
I got that with the F800GT sometimes. I had a black model, with black panniers and people often slowed down in front of me, thinking I was a cop, which was a pain. Especially if no passing opportunity presented itself.

The more I read, the more the SX appeals. There was a good article about it in Road Racing World, in the February 2021 issue. The author also made a video:

The article is what got me looking hard at the SX in the first place.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I had an XR, and all I can say if you like sport bike ergos it can get on your nerves. I even put lower more narrow bars on it and tired ot rear set the pegs but it was still too ADV'ish. It had the 1000 engine which was nice, but all that travel made it weird. It handles well because of the high wide bars and the height which allowed for some deep leans, but with that high a center of gravity your only a hair away from a slide if your too aggressive.

It was a good bike overall, I just hated it. Also if you're not a tall person it can be a bit much at stop light.

I guess if I had the F800 and the S1000RR, I'd look to trade the F800 in on a true touring bike. ANd as Jbin reminds me that thing was buzzzy as heck. Made me nuts. Maybe trading in the F800gt on the Ninja and keeing the S1000RR makes sense if anything over 520 lbs. is too heavy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've already had the "two-bike" experience and it wasn't for me...two bikes to service, insure, etc. That's the rationale for looking at the SX...one bike that does what I want, even if it isn't a "pure" sportbike or "pure" tourer.

The F800GT had a couple of things that I didn't like...lack of power and a noisy windscreen. But it was a good bike for just cruising.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In the end, you can't really go wrong with the N1K. While it's not the most thrilling or high performant machine, it's a very likeable bike that's an excellent value. I owned mine for over 6 years now; I believe that's officially the longest I had any bike. Just too reliable and a great all-rounder that I can't get rid of it.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
45 Posts
I just traded my RSV4 RF LE in for my 21 SX, I honestly was not uncomfortable on that bike and it was incredible in the twisties. Yes, the SX at just under 500 lbs is not as good than a 430 lb 200hp track monster, but I really like it, it does everything I ask it to do. I needed a sport bike with removable bags that didn't look like crap when you took them off. I had a Multistrada and a Multistrada Enduro, and I have ridden many others incl. the Pan America, Africa twin an a GS, while they are great bikes My conclusion was I do not like adventure bikes, just not my style. I have a KLX300 in the garage that I go play in the trails and dirt tracks with, I weighs 300lbs and I don't care if I drop it...much. I love this bike, I would like to get rid of the risers and do clip on's in their place if I can get them to clear everything and I will be ordering some Sato rear sets to get more leg room on the bike. I am 6' and 250lbs, so far I have done a 450 mile ride and felt fine by the end of the day. I will probably also get the Kawasaki long reach gel seat too, not because the stock seat is uncomfortable, but I do feel like I'm sitting to far into the bike, instead of on it.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
45 Posts

If you have a Ducati dealer close enough, they can work on the Aprilia, my dealer did everything I didn't feel like doing on my RSV4

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I do want rear sets for sure (I wouldn't mind lower bars as well)!
IF I keep this bike they're going to have to go on. I'm hitting 3 years on this bike so I'm itching to change, but don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
45 Posts
I do want rear sets for sure. IF I keep this bike they're going to have to go on. I'm hitting 3 years on this bike so I'm itching to change, but don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
And who the hell knows when anything will be available again. I think this one is the keeper, will I pick up a used 600R when used pricing settles a bit, sure. Something to thrash at NYST with the other children.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
yeah, inventory is certainly not at high right now. Also there's not much to chose from in terms of sport tourers under 600lbs, regardless of inventory levels.

Speaking of NYST, did you hear what happened a month ago (hint: ducati)?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
45 Posts
yeah, inventory is certainly not at high right now. Also there's not much to chose from in terms of sport tourers under 600lbs, regardless of inventory levels.

Speaking of NYST, did you hear what happened a month ago (hint: ducati)?
Yes, I did. It is sad, but on the other hand if you have to go then go doing something you love. IE women or ripping around the track.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts