Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering the 2022 SX, but it's looking bleak for getting one, or any manufacturer's bike for 2022. I just located a 2021 (new) at a dealer I know, who's not far away.

What I want to know is...as a 74-year old BMW S1000RR owner who is looking to continue sportbike riding, but wants a little more comfort, with performance...will the 2021 SX make me happy?

I am fit and fully capable of riding my RR 200-300 miles in a day in the mountain twisties, but having power, cornering capability, carrying capacity AND a bit more comfort would be nice.

If anyone here has experienced both bikes (RR and SX) and could comment, it would be a bonus, but any comment on this would be helpful and appreciated. I want to pull the trigger on this, but my 2017 S1000RR is a superb bike and I'd only want to trade it if what I wind up with is a great bike, too.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I may just be the odd one out here but having ridden the S1000RR, the ZX10R and the Panigale V4 (all owned by my riding mates) I can tell you the three things on the N1K that I don’t like vis-a-vis these bikes… the weight, the suspension and the riding position. The N1K carries too much weight to be real fun in the twisties. With a tankful the bike is well, a handful in the twisties. It is capable enough in the mountains but it is hard work transitioning it side to side. Second, the suspension is rather basic, it’s softly sprung which makes the bike wallow if you push hard. It’s fine at medium-fast pace but you can’t go fast on this bike in the mountains unless you upgrade the suspension (which still leaves you with the weight penalty). Finally, the riding position is neither here nor there. It’s not sporty and it’s not super comfortable, it’s in-between just like the entire bike. I’m very aggressive in my riding and have had to spend tons of money to make the bike more fun in the twisties. I could have easily bought a super sport with that kind of an outlay and had more fun. I do love my bike the way it is now but really, in stock form it’s not the bike to enjoy attacking the curves.

Reactions: UncleSalty and Rock

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of my riding friends traded a cbr1000 (fireblade), for a 2020 n1k. For several months he regretted it slightly. We toured Wales and Scotland this year and he gelled with the bike. So, I think he now feels it was a sensible decision, but he still misses the 'blade. I'm sure he wishes he had both.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Get both if you can. Cash out the 401k! Unless you have a bunch of kids and grandkids. The N1K can be really fast with mods, but it doesn't feel like a true supersport because of the weight, and the bars are very wide. Hard to do a full tuck.

I've never rode one, but the zx14 and the H2 SX have equivalent HP to the S1K but have better ergos.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are really good, thoughtful answers...thank you! I've had my RR for 4 years since buying it new in 2017. The only time I find it uncomfortable is in traffic (slow riding) and on long, flat, straight stretches, but since I live 5 minutes from a road that goes for hundreds of miles in the mountains, I'm rarely in traffic or trundling along straight, flat roads. I had a second bike (BMW F800GT) for those days when I just felt like cruising, and regret selling in now (what was I thinking? It was a nice, comfy bike...).

My RR is so well broken-in that I marvel at the engine sound when in the canyons...it's like a turbine. So...OK...maybe I'll re-think this. I've looked at other "sport-touring" bikes, but they are HEAVY. My RR weighs 429 pounds (I shed some weight with an Akra slip-on, removal of passenger pegs, etc.) and some of these sport-tour rigs go up to almost 700 pounds...not for me.

Anyway...thanks, guys. You've helped me make a decision.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
If I could get comfortable on the RR (I know I can't because I was not comfortable on my single R) I'd take that over the NInja in a second.
Your combo of the F800 and the S1000RR is perfect for what it sounds like you do. I would stay put. If you couldn't have two bikes and had to go down to one I would say the Ninja is a great option. But if you can keep both bmers that is the better option.

I only have the NInja because I can only have one bike right now and I need luggage. It's as Bikram says, it';s neither comfortable (for me) nor sporty, so it's not an ideal tourer or twisty bike. Many would disagree, but my dimensions and riding style dicate what works for me. I have lots of mountains near me and find the NInja inadequate in hitting them at the speed I'd like to without really working at it. As for touring, my knees and butt hurt me after 45 minutes. Also, it's a bit too upright for me especially given the wind protection isn't great (for me), so long rides at speed on the slab can become annoying.

I could mod the cr*p out of it but not sure I want to put the 6-8k into it that would "fix" some of the things I'd like to fix.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
345 Posts

I saw your previous questions a few months ago ... were you able to find an 1000SX in your area or the inventory is still sparse?
You and I were looking for one at that time and I bought mine then.
I can tell you that I am having a blast of a time with my 1000SX, cruising on the less traveled roads and exploring all the wonders of the less popular roads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw your previous questions a few months ago ... were you able to find an 1000SX in your area or the inventory is still sparse?
You and I were looking for one at that time and I bought mine then.
I can tell you that I am having a blast of a time with my 1000SX, cruising on the less traveled roads and exploring all the wonders of the less popular roads.
I've located one within a few hundred miles and have talked to the dealer there. I would be interested in hearing more about your experience, now that you've had one for a while. Is it a good bike in the twisties (ease of turning), does the weight bother you, etc.?

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
345 Posts
I've located one within a few hundred miles and have talked to the dealer there. I would be interested in hearing more about your experience, now that you've had one for a while. Is it a good bike in the twisties (ease of turning), does the weight bother you, etc.?
I came from a Honda CBR1000RR background.
All of my experiences with the 1000SX is recorded here.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I think size and weight are important variables here.
At 34" inseam I find I'm very cramped on the ninja. If I had a 32" inseam or less that would likely not be the case. I'm also 200lbs so my weight gets added to the bike, and adds some girth to the knee area which effects comfort. I'm actually more comfortable on bikes with similar peg heights but more rear set. To me the NInja's rider triangle is a bit off. Too in between.

Overall I"m a touch over 6' with a 34" inseam. and 200lbs evenly distributed (31" waste). I don't find many small bikes comfortable, though others my size (or greater) do.

Bear I had the S1000R for almost a year, and that's the closest bike to the S1000RR. I can safely say the Ninja doesn't handle remotely close to the S1000R in the tight twisties. More stable and all the things a heavier bike brings, but not nearly as easy to flick. Overall I'd rather have the Ninja than the S1000R, but if I could have two bikes that would not be the case.

I also had an F800GT. That bike was not super comfortable but more comfortable than the Ninja. That bike I could ride for longer than the Ninja, I was just bored with it's performance, but if I had the S1000 to pair with it it may have made a nice combo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read all those posts just now, Arthury...really excellent. Very honest and concise and lot of info. It helps.

One thing holding me back is that even though I'm 74, riding all day (8 hours) on the RR hasn't been a problem for me. Am I tired after 200-300 miles on the RR...yes, but some of that is being at altitude in the mountains. The RR seat is firm and, yeah, after a few hours, I need a break, which I take as an excuse to drink water, etc.

I don't know...I heard someone once say, "Happiness is wanting what you already have...". They'll never make another 2017 S1000RR, and I'm convinced it's still better than the new BMW S1000RR.

Still ruminating...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
N+1 can make you do crazy things. A voice in my head is telling me to trade my N1K for a supermoto or a ZX14R. I should take up golf instead.
Trust me...my RR makes me that way, too. I'm playing golf tomorrow...which you have to be slightly nuts to do, also. Meets the definition of insanity (doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a naked bike. More comfortable than the S1000RR but still plenty of performance. You should try a Tuono or newer Speed Triple RS. I used to have a '16 Tuono and now have a '19 Speed Triple RS. Both exciting bikes with plenty of performance. The N1K is an excellent workhorse but may feel a bit sedate compared to the S1000RR (which I have ridden on both street and track as well; excellent bike btw).

Another excellent option for longer distance, is the S1000XR; I rented one for a couple of days and was blown away how well that bike handles; looks are deceiving because you can ride it just as hard as a hardcore sportsbike. I loved it! Sharper than the N1K for sure but at a price premium of course.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Naked bike not on my radar...need wind protection for long rides. The XR is a good bike, but I can't get along with its looks. So far, the SX seems to be the best combo of sportbike/tour bike, and the looks are good. Yes, it's more sedate than the RR, but I promise you, I cannot extract the performance from the RR...to do so would likely be fatal on public roads. The acceleration its horsepower offers is frightening. The SX's 140 HP would suit me fine...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Naked bike not on my radar...need wind protection for long rides. The XR is a good bike, but I can't get along with its looks. So far, the SX seems to be the best combo of sportbike/tour bike, and the looks are good. Yes, it's more sedate than the RR, but I promise you, I cannot extract the performance from the RR...to do so would likely be fatal on public roads. The acceleration its horsepower offers is frightening. The SX's 140 HP would suit me fine...
I never cared much for the looks of the XR either but it's such a good bike I'd be ok living with it. I will most likely replace my N1K with one at some point. Supposedly the new Multistrada V4 is excellent as well; just not sure how I feel about Ducatis; bit of a poser brand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What I want to know is...as a 74-year old BMW S1000RR owner who is looking to continue sportbike riding, but wants a little more comfort, with performance...will the 2021 SX make me happy?
The answer is perhaps.

But, with your description of your affinity for the BMW I would recommend that you first look at the BMW S1000XR. For street use it can stick with anything. I have had 2 of them for over 40,000 miles. They are great bikes. The handling is impeccable and even its track performance is very close to the RR. The good thing is it is fairly easy to get a test ride on one. It out handles the Ninja 1000SX by a wide margin.

BMW S1000RR versus S1000XR

·
Registered
42 Posts
I raced little bikes (Ninja 300/400), and had a BMW1300S and a BMW 800GT, and recently bought a '21 N1k. The ergos are somewhat stuck in-between a sport bike and a touring bike. The smooth, wide powerband is just, well, awesome. Previous owner of the N1k put on 2" risers, which I already regret, as I like to ride aggressively, and either tuck or lay on the tank for longer "slab" rides. In the twisties, I find I want be more on top of the forks. Otherwise, I am very happy with the N1k and can see this being a "forever" bike for me. (I think I say that too much)
If you are comfortable with the S1kRR, don't sell it. the 800GT, imho, is under-powered as a tourer, and the buzziness in the bars from 3k-4.5k is unacceptable. If you can swing keeping the S1kRR and getting the N1k for touring, then you'd have the best of both worlds (though there are more comfortable tourers for "committed" touring, like a Connie or FJR, or even a 'Wing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your post popped up after I replied to your query. It would be extremely beneficial to test ride one but that can be very difficult to facilitate. The steering on the SX will feel a lot heavier than the RR and quick side to side transitions will not be nearly as easy.

No one can fully extract the power of any current super bike on the street. It is, quite simply, impossible. Anyone that tries probably won't be around for too long. I have had high HP bikes and in my experience a little over a 100hp with good torque is enough to keep me happy.

One other bike you might consider is an Aprilia Tuono 1100. I had a 2016 and plan on buying a 2021 fairly soon. It is the best motorcycle engine on the planet and provides an unparalleled visceral riding experience. The dealer network sucks but the bike is worthy of a test ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like the Aprilia idea, but no dealer near me. That's out.

Interesting that the Concours and FJR were mentioned. I like the FJR for touring, but haven't looked at one yet. Local dealer has one, I think. But that's a heavy bike...

1 - 20 of 141 Posts