Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

I had a frontal impact on my 2012 N1K, and as I set out to replace parts, some things are not lining up (namely the NEW front fairing bracket).

I would be much obliged if the community could take some measurements for me: Specifically the distance between the top of the axle pinch bolt (right side fork) and the peg feeler. Just straighten the steering as well as you can by eye, and use your tape measure, as I did in the attached pix.

I would appreciate as many replies as I can get, (and please indicate if your footpeg is lowered)

Thanks!

Edit: I realise this isn't the most accurate method, but with enough replies, I will get a ball park...

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
That measurement wont be accurate enough as it's going to depend on how far the forks are compressed.

If you had an impact that was hard enough to damage your forks, your frame is bent. Modern frames wont take that kind of abuse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing. Forks appear fine, I've ridden it since and it feels no different! I'm trying to find out if frame, or if defective new parts! Please humor me and take a measurement. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
It would be my honor.....41 3/4"

I have aftermarket rearsets and my forks have more travel than stock. It's not stock enough to help.

Have you tried "stringing" the bike. Google search will show how to do that. If you did bend the frame, the odds of it going straight back, 100% perfect isnt very good. The strings would show if it still squares up.

·
Registered
560 Posts
For the heck of it I took a measurement. From the center of the axle to the center of the bulb on the foot peg feeler I measured 39 3/4 inches, or about 1010 millimeters.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
With my 2019 N1K in a wheel chock, and using the measurement points in your photos (edge of bolt to middle of peg extension), I get 1042mm.

That is close enough to your measurement, considering the accuracy of the tape's markings.

Sorry, we have not used the imperial measurement system in Oz since 1970 so I don't know what that is in inches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I hope to get more replies, but this is encouraging!

Rcannon409 we're a bit over 1/2 inch apart. I'll attribute that to your mods.
Johnmark101 and Murphyau, that's down to (what looks like) a single millimeter!

THANK YOU ALL!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but I have taped those little laser pens to a straight 3 or 4 ft long rod, and positioned the rod on wheels, while adjusting steering linkage, and suspension, to get correct toe-in, etc. I have the laser pointing at a wall, and see how much my adjustments are affecting toe-in, etc. You may be able to use the laser pointer to check frame alignment, comparing one side to another, etc. For example, a line between two points on one side of your frame, should hit the same elevation on a wall, as the line between the same two points on the other side of your frame, when the bike is vertical.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
Bob,
With my 2019 N1K in a wheel chock, and using the measurement points in your photos (edge of bolt to middle of peg extension), I get 1042mm.

That is close enough to your measurement, considering the accuracy of the tape's markings.

View attachment 29039

Sorry, we have not used the imperial measurement system in Oz since 1970 so I don't know what that is in inches.
You guys really made the switch? We were supposed to, but we are still waiting. I'm sure it will still happen.,,lol

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Bob,
You guys really made the switch? We were supposed to, but we are still waiting. I'm sure it will still happen.,,lol
Yes, we made the switch to the metric system 54 years ago. We switch to the decimal system for our currency first, then followed with the measurement & weights system a few years later.

Us "old folk" can work in either system but "young folk" born after 1970 have no idea what 3/8th of an inch is.

When you think about it, the Imperial system is crazy. Measurements are in inches, feet, yards, furlongs, chains and miles. Weights are ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights & tons.

And there is no "common" factor. I mean 12 inches make 1 foot, but 3 feet make 1 yard and 22 yards make 1 chain. Just plain crazy.

I have never understood why the USA never went over to the metric system for measurements, considering that the US adopted the metric money system (100 cents = 1 dollar) in 1792.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
I don't know how that bob part made it in...sorry... It had to be 3rd or 4th grade when they said, " We are changing over to metric." I think they even gave a date. They pounded us kids with the metric system and made it sound like a sure thing. It really made sense, and was much more simple. The conversion was tough, but that would not be a factor if they had implemented it. I dont know how or why, but that was it. Nothing ever happened. I dont even know who killed it. I dont think anyone ever dared to bring the topic back to life.

It's especially bad because we end up having to convert a lot of things back to english since everywhere else is metric.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.
That means my measurement is somewhere between 41 & 1/32nd and 41 & 1/64th of an inch.
I got about 41 and 1/8th which is close enough. I would love more answers, but soon I'll post pix of the "puzzle" I'm trying to solve!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Helloooo out there? Could I get a couple more N1K riders to pleeeeease grab a tape measure?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, I'm at about 1050mm on my 2016.......stock bike.
My measurement could be out some amount due to steering not pointing dead ahead as i have no way of accurately aligning, except visually.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I don't know how that bob part made it in...sorry... It had to be 3rd or 4th grade when they said, " We are changing over to metric." I think they even gave a date. They pounded us kids with the metric system and made it sound like a sure thing. It really made sense, and was much more simple. The conversion was tough, but that would not be a factor if they had implemented it. I dont know how or why, but that was it. Nothing ever happened. I dont even know who killed it. I dont think anyone ever dared to bring the topic back to life.

It's especially bad because we end up having to convert a lot of things back to english since everywhere else is metric.
I don't want to convert. My feet are about a foot so I'd rather not have to say "I'm about to shove a third of a meter up your a*s" when a foot has so much more meaning .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I'm at about 1050mm on my 2016.......stock bike.
My measurement could be out some amount due to steering not pointing dead ahead as i have no way of accurately aligning, except visually.
THANK YOU Kawa-bunga! We are about 7mm apart. I don't think that accounts for the misalignment I'm seeing elsewhere. I will post more for clarity this weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts