Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Good news, I was able to get the lights installed and without any real issues. I thought that I'd share what I did to help others should they decide to go this route. Thanks for all of your help!!

I first dismantled the rear fender to get at the relays and found the red/yellow wire and located it. I tapped into it with the Posi Tap. My lights have an option to tap into the high beams such that when you hit the high beams, the aux lights go to 100% as well.

In looking for the high beam wire (its red/black) I found that I could tap into it under the left fairing and I could also tap into the low beam wire there too. So, I took the tap off the relay wires dabbed some liquid electric tape and tapped into both at the front. I'm attaching a picture for reference.

The only wire that needs to go to the back is the battery harness. The rest is just routing and tidying wires. You could probably cut wires to make them shorter but because you may want to move to another bike later, I kept them as is.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks for sharing the final result. You even found the perfect connectors to tap the wiring. I really like these and have never had one fail. Pinch on taps, if they can move at all, eventually come loose or cut the wire.

Always nice when a project gets done and comes out well. Congrats.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for sharing the final result. You even found the perfect connectors to tap the wiring. I really like these and have never had one fail. Pinch on taps, if they can move at all, eventually come loose or cut the wire.

Always nice when a project gets done and comes out well. Congrats.
Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the fender mount and planned something similar on my 400.

With that setup I would try to cut the spacers in half or more to get the bracket closer to the fender.

Also, how is the light when riding, does it vibrate?

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like the fender mount and planned something similar on my 400.

With that setup I would try to cut the spacers in half or more to get the bracket closer to the fender.

Also, how is the light when riding, does it vibrate?
Unfortunately, with the quarantine and all, I haven't had the opportunity to ride. However, I plan to get for some "essential chores" this weekend. But, from what I know of them, I expect them to be solid and work well.
I don't mind the distance from the forks but what you suggest might be a consideration later on. I like to have the wider spread for the light pattern on the road.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Please post a report when you have a chance. In my part of central Texas deer and hogs are bad, I want to add lighting more for seeing critters than others seeing me but both are important of course.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Please post a report when you have a chance. In my part of central Texas deer and hogs are bad, I want to add lighting more for seeing critters than others seeing me but both are important of course.
Your inquiry encouraged me to do a quick shakedown ride tonight. All I say is.. DAMN. I can tell you that there is no light vibration that I could detect. I first rode down this road that starts with lots of street lights and used the yellow optics. It's not very detectable down the road except for signs and people seemed to notice. Based on looks from pedestrians.

I stopped at the end of the road and took off the optics and what a difference at night. With the dimmer at the lowest setting, you can detect a difference. But at half, or more...wow you can see the sides of the road, pedestrians, everything.

I am very happy with my purchase!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts