Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same helmet. I am very disappointed with the wind noise. I have a old Bell automobile race helmet that is far better with noise. I will try another brand of helmet. I am in no hurry to buy another Shoei product !

·
Registered
367 Posts
Get custom made earplugs for motorcycles
They don't cancel all the noise, only wind & exhaust, and would cost you about 150$.
I don't want anything else anymore !
You still can get music through them, as they don't filter that out.
I could even hear the silent pieces in clasical music, while pulling the throttle between 7000-10000 rpm (akra slipons), and doing +100mph.

I also have the Shoei NXR now, had the GT Air before, I find the NXR to be a bit more quiet (fit is excellent).
I also had a loud helmet (Scorpion Exo 1000), and the earplugs killed all the noise.
Just invest in descent earplugs !

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the same helmet. I am very disappointed with the wind noise. I have a old Bell automobile race helmet that is far better with noise. I will try another brand of helmet. I am in no hurry to buy another Shoei product !
It most likely is more related to how good it fits you then the brand/model ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Where would one find these magical ear plugs?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Where would one find these magical ear plugs?
I have these :
http://www.variphone.com/en/v-sil-moto
With the medium filter, not even the strongest one (they put the medium filter in as standard, I could change for free after testing it to the stronger filter).

But I'm from Belgium and I have no idea where you could get them in your country.
Just go to a hearing center. Check their website first to see if they have something for motorcycle riders.

Difference between an "off the shelve" earplug from a motorcycle shop (even the expensive ones), is rather big.

Be aware, great earplugs = feels like a mega turbo on your bike.
I ride on average 30mph faster everywhere with them on, as the lack of speed sound doesn't make me aware I'm going that fast.

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
You know Shoei has a very adjustable shield, right?

Mine x12 made bad noises, around the shield, until I adjusted it for a tighter fit..

All it took was a phillips screwdriver. When its adjusted right, you can get a very exact fit with the shield.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have the famous ringing also and have to wear ear plugs. I have small ear canals and find if you get the right ones for your ears they are very comfortable for many hours. I've tried a few other types and just aren't quiet enough for me, although the foam are just a tad too quiet.

I had an Arai Signet Q that I just loved and felt it was just about as quiet as a helmet could get. It did save my life but of course got destroyed in the process (broke chin bar in half and cracked at both corners). I then got a Signet X and I swear that thing is just LOUD. I've tweaked the shield position in the helmet, added chin skirt, gone to the largest cheek pads available, increase thickness of the liner, and I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting.... and it's still LOUD. Quieter than before sure, but just don't feel it is nearly as quiet as the Q. Next step I'm going to tape up the shield to make sure it isn't still leaking air there.

One important thing is to check the gap between the shield and the helmet. I use a piece of paper to slide in there to check for gaps. They also changed the way the shield lifts, plus the locking, and it's a royal PITA.

The other thing is the wind screen. I had the double bubble which was horrible (before I realized there was a shield gap in helmet) so got the Vstream Touring. That was great in the cold but it also put air right under my helmet in the middle position and top position got buffeting. Switched this past summer to the Puig to get more airflow on body. I can see why people love this one and it did reduce the air into my helmet and noise.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts