Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... we just picked up a Green 2014 Ninja 1000 today, brand new from the dealer and this one has color coordinated saddlebags. Actually, I bought it for my son, he had been riding a Ninja 250 for a couple years and it was time to upgrade.

After looking at the cost of the used bikes and finding these leftovers for about $3k off of list, I decided just to get him a new one. I was surprised that full coverage insurance was only $675 and when I asked about adding my bike onto the policy (I have a Green 2005 ZRX 1200), the additional was only $125 ($800 total). Sure, it's $500 deductible but I still think that's not bad. Our insurance company is Progressive in case anyone cares.

The good news is, he made it home from the dealer safe and sound and it's sitting in the garage next to my ZRX. The first thing to add will be the frame sliders. Dealers really rake you over the coals on this stuff - even with the 15% off cost, they wanted $245 for a new set of PUIG's, when I can find them only for right around $190.

There's also the issue of the additional warranty - I found it for $430 - the dealer we bought the bike at would not go below $700. Why do they not match the price? You'd think that some profit is better than none.

Oh well... we've been looking for a new bike for him for a while - I'm glad that the search is done.

Past Bikes include:
Honda CB360T
Kawi '76 KZ900
Kawi '76 Z1R
Kawi 1981 GPZ 1100
Kawi 1984 900 Ninja (the 1st and original one)
Currently
Kawi 2005 ZRX 1200
1976 KZ900 with some mods

I think my favorite for just riding around was my original KZ900. IT got an upgrade to a double bucket Corbin Gentry seat and a full Vetter Windjammer Fairing, plus a huge luggage rack and sissy bar w/pad. I miss that bike - wish I had never sold it.

Carl

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cool, and thanks for taking the time to share your story.

I love my 2015 Ninja 1000! I've had great rides the last couple days. Probably more than 350 miles, and I've had a blast.

I bet your son will love it too. You guys be safe out there...

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Welcome aboard Shogun Carl. I see you are finding what most of here have discovered...

The N1k is a fantastic bike and a great value.

You son will love it. I hearby nominate you for Father of the Universe!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, now you and your son can put some miles behind you. Hopefully he is ready for that low down power and torque. Be safe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... I try to be good to both of my boys - they're all I have - well, and a very understanding wife as well.

He's in college too so he's studying hard. Funny thing - I was the exact same age when I got my first big bike, a green '76 KZ900. I still remember the guy I bought it from - he was puny sitting on top of it and he said it was too much bike for him. I bet he doesn't ride any of this new stuff! The summer I bought it I commuted 33 miles each way to work and I love riding the bike on that trip every day.

I've ridden bikes my entire life and it's a different road out there today than it was back in the 80's when I spent a ton of time on the road. Still and all, the safety features on these bikes are amazing now. I am of the mindset that I'd definitely opt to have the features, however, I personally would turn them off or down the vast majority of the time. The new '14 really is pretty amazing though.

Hopefully we'll get out this weekend for some riding together.

Oh - and thanks for the warm welcome too!

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Welcome! That's quite the list of moto's you've got there! Darn good ones too! Well, except for the Honda, not sure what that's doing there. LOL Joking of course! Heck, I almost bought one of those off my neighbor when I was 17. You'll like this forum, loads of friendly people and all the info you could ever want and then some.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I live in Utah. Salt Lake City, to be exact. There are cities with a lower crime rate, and shorter riding season, but not many.

I'm 50, and have no tickets. Actually , 48 when I bought my Ninja. Progressives quote was 1875.00.

I'm glad they hit me , so hard. It made me shop, and I found AMIG. They were well over 1500 less than Progressive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts